Sign in to follow this  
echo1

Windows 7 RC1 released today (May 5th)

Hmm seems i stick with XP a lot longer than expected, more time to play classical emulators ( i guess 7 will forbid me that too? ) and homebrew stuff.

Nice thought, but it wont work for too long because MS is pushing their stupid bloatware named GFWL like crazy. More & more developers adapt to it, meaning that in order to play or even load your savegames you must be connected to the interwebs crazy_o.gif

It already sucked arse with fallout 3 when it was released, luckily there was a hack that made the friggin xlive install unneccessary. But then Bethesda just included GFWL in the 1.1 patch and made it a requirement to download & play the expansion pack.

Not to mention GTA4 ..

The whole personal computer branch is going to shits *sigh*

Nice, didnt even know that, on Fallout i didnt even notice anything like that, well hidden i guess like the EA games that secretly phone home.

No wonder why so many prefer a console lately, no need to upgrade, if you really wanna use copies on it its also no big problem since they have Harddisks now...

A self made problem it seems.

So, who here has anyone considered switching to Linux? tounge2.gif Or at least dual-booting and using it for non-gaming tasks.

I was doing that for a long time wink_o.gif

Well, not for the past few weeks which I've been using to test Win7.

Hoping to bring you a summary of my experiences one day too smile_o.gif

im still on xp. and i'll be on xp on this pc until its outdated tounge2.gif

Need to get a new one when arma II comes out..

ch_123

Been doing that for years.

and am happy with it smile_o.gif

Doing all my "drm violateing" stuff in linux tounge2.gif

Latest rumours.

Not surprising really. Running it on my main PC extensively since the beta came out. Have had practically zero problems with (about two hardware driver compatibility issues, but I don't think I've had any crashes. No BSODs at all.)

So that "window 7" is even more bloated with DRM than Vista was ?

Impressive to see that Microsoft continue to have people buying those things to have their privacy monitored by them.

I always thought that enforcing the laws in each country was the matter of each country justice and police, not of a big company from a country that may have different agenda in most of those sectors.

I even wonder how this can even be legal.

But, i guess Microsoft does not care as the public will buy it anyways as soon as possible like they did with Vista, to complain later than most of their old apps were not working correctly or were suffering from performance drop.

Too bad XP is slowly phased out from most stores selling computer in order to push the already dead Vista and soon the even more DRM powered next window into people homes.

It's interesting to note that XP was origianlly intended to be the last version of Windows, and that Microsoft would continuously patch it up and earn revenue by either making your license time restricted or charging for major updates - an awful lot like Mac OS/X. I would agree that there is plenty of life left in XP if Microsoft made a serious effort about patching it up to current standards. But I guess as long as they wont I might as well keep up with their trends. After all - I only use Windows for gaming these days, they could put in all the DRM in the world and it probably wouldnt affect me  tounge2.gif

One possible glimmer of hope is ReactOS. It will quite literaly be years before it's as usable as XP, but it's promising nonetheless.

One possible glimmer of hope is ReactOS. It will quite literaly be years before it's as usable as XP, but it's promising nonetheless.

That link leads to an ACE thread biggrin_o.gif

Such are the joys of tabbed browsing at 2AM. I've fixed it now.

My money is on wine. The arma rating is still garbage but flashpoint goty has silver.

Seeing it has DRM again, i will not buy Windows 7. It's not the OS' job to check on what i am doing. My solution is open source. If arma, the damned sound card and the trackir were supported :P

If linux had better Directx support i'd jump boat immediatley.

My money is on wine. The arma rating is still garbage but flashpoint goty has silver.

We need more votes on the damn thing wink_o.gif

Considering the large market for VBS, and considering how many governments and large organizations are switching over to Open Source OSs, it would be arguable that there could be a market for a Linux port of VBS/VBS2 which could hopefully trickle down to us mere mortals in future versions of ArmA.

Everyone can dream, right? tounge2.gif

Win 7 DRM???

So , how ling do you think it will take someone to code something to remove it from Win 7? nener.gif

Dont be too sure, people said the same when M$ said that DX10 will only be availeable on vista.

Easiest method is that if you want fixes and newer programm versiosn they check your system for being vanilla like some programs for example newest Windows Media Player already does.

Nice OS, very stable, fast, everything works just fine, although is still beta.

I have it dual boot with XP (main OS), but lately I spend more time in W7 tounge2.gif

Word is that RC1 will be out within a month. Most notable new feature - the ability to completely uninstall IE from your system wow_o.gif

Well, Windows Update was seperated from IE in Vista. I don't know what they'll do with MSN (or whatever it is that they call it these days) as that has always been dependent on IE. I think however that this is an attempt to curry favour with the antitrust people. It doesnt really matter for them because most people are too ignorant and will stick with IE anyway.

No, it's not MS being nice - they have the EU breathing on their neck for this.

Im on XP as well as it has always faithfully served me. However i really want to stepup to WIN7 for the enhanced multi core support - wich we need in ARMA2 (well, some of us anyway). Friends have reported (and shown me) incredible FPS increase with Win7 over XP and VISTA. Even up to +25 FPS. Over at DCS forum someone had triple boots with XP, VISTA and WIN7, and same games on all boots. WIN7 won over them both FPS wise. Quite a lot as well.

Sad to hear that shait now with the DRM. I was thinking WIN7 was godsent as i hate VISTA, and i wanted only WIN7 on my machine. And VISTA however have often audio problems, compability problems, huge memory usage etc etc. About the audio problems in VISTA, they built up the sound from scratch and left out hardware acceleration. EAX etc uses HWA and thus sound is flat in VISTA. There is a fix with a program you can run but... Just dont like running extra programs. So VISTA have been a no no for me so far. And still is.

The initial idea i had was though to have a dual boot. WIN7 and XP. WIN7 for the multi-core games, and XP for everything else (Photoshop, Audioprogs & homebrew's). I think that will be the solution for me as i really want to utilize the power that WIN7 obviously seem to have for multi-core games.

There is graphic drivers out now i heard for Win7. So no need for VISTA drivers anymore. It just got a bit better. smile_o.gif

Alex

No, it's not MS being nice - they have the EU breathing on their neck for this.
Quote[/b] ]I think however that this is an attempt to curry favour with the antitrust people.

That was my point. wink_o.gif

Hi all

Multi boot has always been a solution to many problems with operating systems.

Even better is removable hard drives for your OS's and an external drive or server for all data.

This web page discusses the benefits of varous dual boot systems and comes down to a hardware solution similar to mine.

http://www.computerbob.com/guides/my_hardware-based_dual-boot_pc.php

The only additions I have made is a couple of routers and linux server for data.

Stick all data on a Linux server made out of your previous PC; let it do all you backups and ignore it. Remove all the superfluous hardware, if you have onboard graphics, networking and sound on you server, fine no need for any cards so it wil run nice and cool.

Kind regards walker

Awww, that DRM stuff is gaybar. Still, people should find a way around it. They found a way around freakin' UAC, they'll find a way to circumvent the DRM... allah willing.

Someone I know got their hands on a pre-release copy of the Release Candidate. Has a good bit more polish, but the new login screen looks a bit stupid. Hopefully they'll come up with something more neutral, or provide users the ability to change it.