Sign in to follow this  
HighWire

Reccomended amount of objects?

Hello all,

I'm making a island for OPF which is going definately fine, but... Is there a 'good practice' on object amounts?

I'm working on a 512MB RAM machine which is still pretty much capable of running my island, but I don't want to find out halfway construction that I'm taking the object amount too far. smile_o.gif

The original OFP islands from version 1.96 have the following total objects, as far as I can tell.

Abel = 103,114

Cain = 70,770

Eden = 56,740

Intro = 0

Noe = 177,224

Planck

As said performance is impacted by :

-the amount of objects obviously introduce more calculations from the engine.

-their density as OFP never managed well too much object in a small zone

-detail complexity as OFP is not really comfortable with too high poly objects (or geometry lods that are not kept "simple").

-how much those objects are optimised, not having good lods , too few or too much of them, and you get extra visual lag.

-the amount of textures used by all those objects + the island itself will have a big impact on performance too.

Looking nice so far, what kind of island do you intend to create (i mean, what era, location etc.) ?

HighWire, please do not hotlink pics > 100kb, if you don't know why, check the link to the rules in my sig.

To the topic: You have to take into account that the OFP engine does not stream the objects, that means your island should not be much bigger than Nogova (land area and objects). This is for general performance.

For a certain scene e.g. a village, make sure that there are not too many objects, and those which are there with a good LOD system and if possible no useless high-poly objects... (as said before)

Also, keep in mind that OFP does never use more than 512MB RAM. (So even on high end computers your island won't run much better, but still a bit -- as it can use the full 512MB there, not just what's left after OS etc.)

HighWire, please do not hotlink pics > 100kb, if you don't know why, check the link to the rules in my sig.

To the topic: You have to take into account that the OFP engine does not stream the objects, that means your island should not be much bigger than Nogova (land area and objects). This is for general performance.

For a certain scene e.g. a village, make sure that there are not too many objects, and those which are there with a good LOD system and if possible no useless high-poly objects... (as said before)

Also, keep in mind that OFP does never use more than 512MB RAM. (So even on high end computers your island won't run much better, but still a bit -- as it can use the full 512MB there, not just what's left after OS etc.)

My apologies. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for pointing it out. smile_o.gif

As for the general performance: For now the island runs pretty OK. I'm not using a huge model variety, but I do have lots of grass bits scattered around the island at a certain density. I could always remove some if things get out of hand, but I'm not forecasting any problems on it so far (seeing the fact that I'm already finished with about 50% of the island.

ProfTournesol: The island is based on regular Nogova objects with tropical plants and trees. See it as a former european colony somewhere near the canary islands. I don't have a specific era in mind though, that's up for the mission creators if they are interested. smile_o.gif

Cant wait for the new island..Have been playing on Airwolf for too long :D

it would be better to make an island with old Opf object not resistance, better LOD and better preformance on Pc...i'm almost finished with my island and i use 90% old objects, for ground texture i use resistance texture and i use roads from BAS object addon(best roads i have seen)...there is a desert part and a woodland part of the map...for desert i also used some of the buildings and palms from BAS object addon...every time i work on the island i test that loation in game to see if it looks ok and how it runs on pc...to test the map you have been working on just name it "eden.wrp" and copy it to the game folder "worlds" and paste it there( but make the backup copy of the original file) and start the game, go to mission editor and load the everon map(only now it's not everon anymore it is a map you have been working on with the same name)...

it's much easy'er then compresing the map into .pbo file and putting it into addons.i use "Wrp tool"..

you can see how my map looks like on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2diPUMb9lI

@daraofp - your island is looking really good!