Sign in to follow this  
BadBenson

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Weapons in Arma

The problem is you create enviroment where less effort = more appriciation.

Lame excuses. We all do things for free and as a hobby. The difference is some people want hard earned appriciation and others want it cheap and fast.

We all have two hands and a brain, there is no excuse.

Finally, just so you guys know what the problem is, an intresting sticky from an arts forums...sticky

If you give appriciation to people who do not produce anything of significant value you kill the motivation to improve. You make the guy comfortable in his lazyness.

And ontop of that you spamm the forums.

To say people are free not to read spamm is a lame joke.

Zipper: Scubaman3d started modelling from modiffying my models. This is educational. Importing is not.

IF you want to respond I expect arguments. Arguments that were allready rebutted cannot be recycled.

My bottom line is: if it looks like turds don't say it's candy.

In my eyes, his stuff does not look like turds. They're not even finished yet, so you have no idea what the finished product could be like. Just because you personally think it does doesn't make it wrong for him to continue.

Some people are blowing this way out of proportion. It's kinda silly. huh.gif

Some people are blowing this way out of proportion. It's kinda silly. huh.gif

That's your oppinion and I think you are mistaken.

Also, it has nothing to do with what I wrote. It's a red hairing.

First off the OP made it a big issue by flaming Nephilm.

Now you say I should feel sorry because I sounded my oppinion (in much, much kinder words). Because I was honest.

Because I think of this forums as a learning forums, a place to get your ass kicked not a place to stroke your ego (or another organ).

is this still going on confused_o.gif

Always the same kind of people around here whom are having issues.

modeling is special

modeling is special

I could invite entire ArmA modelling community for a pizza and we would fit in my room.

wink_o.gif

so adapt, improve, convert is no modeling?

interesting business that modeling seems to be wink_o.gif

@ Dec. 05 2008,06:48)]
modeling is special

I could invite entire ArmA modelling community for a pizza and we would fit in my room.

wink_o.gif

Given that anyone that wants to try their hand at modeling gets shot down, I'm not surprised the modeling community is so small.

Quote[/b] ]so adapt, improve, convert is no modeling?

where does he state that he wants to improve them??

and basic converting is no modelling..

moddeling invovles pushing around polygons etc etc...

conveting is just the last step in the chain and i just done by 3-4 mouse clicks.. thats no effort...

so yea modelling is FAR more than porting an existing model from another game...

Well, if you come here looking for praise I wouldn't expect that from everybody. Some people will go yay for everything, some of us will give you crits and some will just go: it's shit, you're shit, die.

The main thing is that you don't give up, the first model you make might look like an awsome super duper thing and you post it somewhere and people give you so much shit that you see it's just a box with a cylinder. After a while you do more and more and get better and better. There are no shortcuts here, modeling is all about practice. And that's just half the story, then there's unwrapping, texturing and making of normal/spec/xyz maps. And all of these require tons of expirence to get right and get good. Practice is king again. so if you give up the second somebody gives you shit about something chances are that you wouldn't be a very good modeller in any case.

But as always, it's a constant learning process, there are new rendering techniques and gimmicks coming out that a game artist must know and almost master to get the best visual effect out of them.

Given that anyone that wants to try their hand at modeling gets shot down, I'm not surprised the modeling community is so small.

In case of arts forums it goes like that:

People don't put enougth work and result is poor, yet they expect to hear praises. Normally, on an arts forums they get only criticisms, people point out every single thing that went wrong, sometimes even advice different technique or going back to the basics. They take a few days to think about it and come to conclusion that if every single person says they should try harder then they should try harder. They come back with better work and people tell them they have improived.

This model works in practice.

It's the model used in art schools and universities.

Now imagine a different situation. This time 80% of people write orgasmic replies (I belive DeviantArt used to look like that). The person feels confident and comforted. He makes even more effortless works, wastes time he could use for improving himself. The honest minority is pacified and finally moves on to another forum. The arts forums change into a circle of commutual reaffirmation.

There was a private canadian school in Poland where later model was used to "let children develop freely". They basically praised everything. It went bankrupt after parents sued it for making their children useless slobs. Not a single child out of the school was up to the public school standard of graduate.

Yes: the parents proved in civil court their children were hurt by the method.

There is a lesson there to learn.

Also, lets not forget the difference between constructive criticism and being a dick. Most people like to go: "it's shit" and stop there, but in order to actually help somebody you need to explain why it's shit. And that's what Panda and Neph have been doing.

While I disagree with ports for reasons explained above I think that either your settings in arma are too low or the weapons took a downgrade in the porting process.

I'm closing this now since this thread has gone fubar already one page one.

Why certain people must discuss the same old things always in public rather than taking it to PM?