Sign in to follow this  
marcomio

New Groundtextures inspired by ARMA

Hi!

Thats only for example. I'd like to know Your opinions about these textures. They are using 2048 x 2048 pixel (highest resolution available in ofp) for showing more detailed ground textures.

Please have a look at

http://gallery.filefront.com/marcomio/

(Groundtex 2.jpg etc....)

I can't post them here, because they have to be bigger than allowed, for showing more detail.

=================================================

Here is some beta beta groundtexture in 7zip format. I dont know, if its causing some quality-losses. Later/Final versions will also be available as uncompressed downloads to prevent this risk.

So at first, here you can dl the textures.

PLS BE ADVISED: THEY "ARMA TEX" -FILE IS HANGING AROUND IN MY ADDONS, DTA + RES\DTA -FOLDERS!!

I dont know exactly the correct and only location. So you have to try a bit, if its not working at once. Following file is around 68 MB:

http://files.filefront.com/ARMA+TEX7z/;12368536;/fileinfo.html

--------------------

Next file is CAT Afghanistan (modified by myself), which needs some ADDONS to be complete. You also may try it without and/or in the editor, letting the program moan about missing addons. So here is CAT Afghanistan in 7 zip format:

http://files.filefront.com/CATintro+FILES7z/;12368787;/fileinfo.html

------------------------------------------------------

The ADDON list follows soon. Maybe, You like to wait until its release.

crazy_o.gif

Transitions in textures look nice and smoother than the wgl-texture-replacement-pack ones.

Good work so far !

Bregs,

Raum_Schiff

..some other pics of CAT-Afghanistan using these textures. Not easy to create textures, looking well from near and from far distance.

Especially rock-textures are very difficult to create....I'm on it.

If You like, take a look at:

http://gallery.filefront.com/marcomio

Tks for nice comments,

marcomio

Hi and tks for nice comments!

I'll try to release a kind of beta in some days (I hope so...). There has much to be done, some texture-transistions has to be reworked or need some fine-tuning etc.. But with a beta, You can get a impression of these new textures. If there might be some wrong texture-tiles, mail to me for correction in the later version.

Rgds

marcomio

welcome.gif

Hi!

Here is some kind of beta-beta-beta......version of CAT-Afghanistan Island, using this textures.

1) LOOK AT FIRST POST!

2) LOOK AT THIS POST FOR FURTHER NEEDED ADDONS!

I need some time to figure out, which Addons were needed for the island. I think, they are the same as i used in my modified CAT Afghanistan Island:

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=10599

Download only the needed addons, not the island!

3) HAVE A TRY IF YOU LIKE!

wink_o.gif

Hello, Everybody!

Sorry for delay, but Real Life let me not enough time to update this thread as often as i would like to do. There is a ADDON-FREE Version of Kolgujev with 2048 resolution groundtextures for download on filefront and some pics of my work on mapfact.net:

http://www.mapfact.net/forum_arma/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1826

Downloadlinks to find under:

http://hosted.filefront.com/marcomio/

File 1:

-----

cain.7z (containing "cain.wrp" to replace the default cain.wrp in the "...Operation Flashpoint/worlds" -folder, SO MAKE A BACKUP OF THE DEFAULT ONE)

SIZE app. 9 MB

File 2:

-----

M2048.7z (containing "M2048.pbo" to be put into the "...Operation Flashpoint/Addons" -folder.

SIZE app. 108 MB

You also should take a look at the pictures, comparing different resolutions of OFP-Textures. Dont know who told it, but 2048 are not the absolute limit for those. Im running the Desert Island (from the OFP-Intro) with 4096 x 4096 pixel textures and it dont hit the framerate too much (still playable smoothly).

But it is to early, to say it might work with a complete Texturepack in the size of app. 500 MB. So it is still a try.

Rgds  wink_o.gif

Very nice but I would realy love if the colour scheme staryed mostly the same cause it kinda breaks the island as trees dosen't fit in so good enymore its too pale right now.

STGN

Thats right. Basically, I prefer more pale colours, because it is looking more realistic (not this "Comic-Style"-green). But You are right: the trees and other vegetation does not fit so good. I have to rework the Groundtextures anyway, so I will increase the saturation to a more appropriate level.

Rgds smile_o.gif

Can i ask what happened to your retextured Nogova, did you finish it?

It was half finnished, but I had to rework the Textures due to some colour-failures. (to often decompressed and vice versa and the big mistake, to delete the old TGA-files to early....damn!!!wink_o.gif.

As You might see, the pale variant of the landtexture does not fit the vegetation as good, as it should. So I think of

a) reworking the whole Textures and give them more greenish look to fit the rest,  sad_o.gif  

or

b) make all the vegetation-green more pale, so it looks not like a kind of postcard-colour at all.  smile_o.gif

Basically, I will replace the Texture with the existing ones. Also the reworked Roads matches better with pale ground-colours.

(There are no actual screens of them yet).

That means, I have to rework all the vegetation, thinking of the pale versions of Vegetation used on CAT-Afghanistan. I'll try to implement them. It ist a lot of work to be done, but when I finnished the pure Texture-replacement for Nogova and/or other BIS-Islands, I will release them for public download.

People should be aware, that these are not the final replacement-packs. So before downloading app. 130 MB, don't start nagging, if any new version will follow.

Regards,

M.

welcome.gif

I don't know you colour settings but ofp has always been a little pale compared to the real world for me try adjusting gamma and brightnes in ofp maby adjust your screen, would be easier than to ajust all textures i think.

STGN

OFP has always been abit pale and grey looking, i think bis went with this look as it gives the cold war feel, to the game i believe. smile_o.gif

I have to say, having come from playing a lot of Joint Operations, one of the things that initially caught my eye in OFP was the color palette BIS used in the game. It gives OFP a gritty, stark look that made other games I was playing look cartoony and, as a result, makes it look more realistic, compared to them.

@All:

Despite the colour-problem, did anybody gave the 2048 Pixel textures a try? Would be nice to get some feedback concerning the fps with other computers. In my case, there was no notable  decrease of Framerates.

Ah,....yes: for new set of textures, you have to be patient. I think, I will give the groundtextures more saturation. And this needs time.

Rgds

Marc     smile_o.gif

Nice work smile_o.gif

I'm happy people still make stuff for OFP.

I have 2048x2048 Maladen textures, they are the best ground textures I've seen in OFP and are even better then ArmA for me, they don't lag but loading times are a bit longer and I have to set the gamma to 1.0 otherwise the game crashes. But its still worth it smile_o.gif

I have to agree with STGN - besides it doesn't look that realistic as trees basically grow on the empty ground - there should be some grass there. And besides grass also will help infantry hide in the forrests better.