Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

canFloat...define waterline?

Don't know if this is more config related or model related so please forgive me if it's wrong here.

I know there's a parameter for the config called "canFloet" which enables i.e. the BMP to swim into water. So far so good. But how it is defined how far it sinks into water? Searched all configs and model.cfg too, checked the p3d for some memory points or a decent selection in each LOD but didn't found anything.

I guess the ship class is capable to float per default and there the waterline is defined by the model placement on the horizontal zeroline (don't know how to name in english but i hope you guess what i mean).

So if i make a new model which isn't a ship, how do i define how deep it should sink into water?

Any help much appreciated.

Kind regards

Myke

send Gnat a  PM, he should know

If you get a response, don't forget to come back here and post it. I'm sure there are many (including me) who would be interested. smile_o.gif

Sorry ..... I only play with ship, dont know about armour

But I suggest its ALL about the GEOMETRY LOD, its shape and its weight.

Suggest you play with that.

FYI ships can float by both memory points in a landcontact LOD, and can float with no landcontacts and simply using the shape and weight of a GEOMETRY LOD.

Generally 1 or the other, but not both.

Thanks Gnat for your reply. Looked at M113 and also BMP2 as both are able to float. But the GEO LOD looks so different on both so i can't see how it should be done to work. I'll do some research on this following your guidance and play around with GEO LOD's with different shapes and weights. I just thought someone already knows a bit more about it so i haven't to start at zero.

Myke out

The bigger the mass the deeper it will go...

entry canfloat defines if a vehicles capable of floating in the sea (meaning don't get destroyed).

Quote[/b] ]The bigger the mass the deeper it will go

false. it's defined by how low is center of mass in the model wink_o.gif

well, i'm talking about the mass as a value, and not of he center of mass..

I remember when we were experiment with our M113, we need to teak the mass value of the geometry in order to float properly, else we get a M113 submarine.... also the center of mass is relevant since if you need you vehicle to float horizontal to the sea level the center of mass needs to be as cloase to the center as can be.