Sign in to follow this  
The-Architect

Best NON converted island?

What is the best island out there that isna't a ported Flashpoint island, has lots of grass, proper coasts, working roads, airfield etc? I like Sarve but it's way too small. Schmalfelden is good but totally unusable in real terms.

I don't mean desert islands or snow or mountains, just lovely green pastures.

I personally like SchmalfeldenXHV but it may be rough on lower systems. I find it pretty usable and well laid.

But if you don't like this map there are a few others.

Uhao is great but there is a problem with the AI and part of a road just outside the airstrip. Overall though, it's a great map.

The second is the Dreide Island. The new map released with Map 3DE.

Next, any of the Alex.Sworn maps are great as well. Basically there's a bunch I really like and use most of the maps that have been released.

I don't think my suggestions will really do you much good as it's only my personal preference. The best bet is to check ArmAholic.com's Island section and give them a try until you are satisfied.

Here's the link:

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=addons_islands

I would say the "Dreide Island. The new map released with Map 3DE."

Its very realistic and has some great new buildings. And it has the best damm beaches ever! tounge2.gif

Dreide I would suggest too. Knowing your previous missions, this one surely has some nice and very detailed spots that might meet your style.

Other then that: Uhao meets your requirements too.

Uhao + Dreide... also the FDF training island is great for a bash or two, although it doesn't really have beaches or an airfield.

If you're ever looking for desert maps, remember Opteryx. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Uhao + Dreide

Yes indeed, after trying out Dreide last night and messing around on Uhao for a week or so, these a baby's do the job nicely.

Quote[/b] ]Schmalfelden is good but totally unusable in real terms.

Schmalfelden isn't an island and that changed game play for the map, but its one if not THE top maps for realism and for tank battles/raids/spec ops/stealth .. its the dogs nuts.Then again I know you want a "well rounded fully fictional map" so I see your point from that view of it.

I just hope Nicholas Bell comes back with a map just as realistic and same terrain but in the form of an island, that would be dreamlike inlove.gif

Quote[/b] ]I just hope Nicholas Bell comes back with a map just as realistic and same terrain but in the form of an island,

Sorry to disappoint, but it will be another map.  I do have 2 real islands roughed out too but with Uhao's release it seemed a bit redundant.   On the plus side it is larger than Schmalfelden - 10 x 10 km.  Real terrain, and relevant.  More details to follow.

I took a look at both dreide and uhao and they are indeed excellant maps. Unfortunatley they are too small.

It could be useful to work in small area of the maps but to make a player believe that there is actually a friend vs. foe dynamic going on is impossible. It would probably take a matter of days to clear and island that small out.

I understand your point and what you want, however, this leaves you with only the BIS maps.  While creating enormous maps is technically possible, actually doing it is another matter.  If one looks through the Addon Discussion and the Visitor folder there are many announcements of huge new islands under construction, some with early construction images.   Yet the number of islands/maps released is few and their size is small or moderate.  This is the unfortunate reality.  It's still better than nothing at all.  smile_o.gif

Dont you have to have QG for the Dreide island?

So what? He never said that it must be QG free.

Quote[/b] ]I just hope Nicholas Bell comes back with a map just as realistic and same terrain but in the form of an island,

Sorry to disappoint, but it will be another map.  I do have 2 real islands roughed out too but with Uhao's release it seemed a bit redundant.   On the plus side it is larger than Schmalfelden - 10 x 10 km.  Real terrain, and relevant.  More details to follow.

Well hello sir.

Ah cool, bigger is good, island is a plus, the main thing is your still onto something new thumbs-up.gif

@The-Architect - it seems that you might want to wait untill Arma2 arrives for the direct specifics of what your really after biggrin_o.gif

Hi, for me the best islands are:

- Gardinas.

- Avgani v1.1 .

- Mapfact 3DE Map.

'Em all can be found in armedassault.info as well as in armaholic.com. Let's C ya