i wrote that before but hey

90% of gamers got card and OS supporting DX9

70% of gamers got XP thus DX9

60% of gamers got DX9 card or slow DX10 card able run fast only DX9

so you get like at max

30% of gamers with DX10

10% of gamers with DX10.1

so DX10/10.1 give sense at max as part of e.g. fall 2009 expansion or so

(adding 10.1 path to 10 engine is way easier (little code change) than to 9 engine (more like rewrote the thing from scratch))

Some rumours said MS is developing DX11 now and leave DX10 as "interim thing".  whistle.gif

sometimes I've the impression, that more than 50% of the posts in this forum are just rumors  tounge2.gif

Some rumours said MS is developing DX11 now and leave DX10 as "interim thing".  whistle.gif

DX11 draft is done and was annouced on GDC 2008 Volish Gamefest in Seattle

my opinion is it will be introduced into Vista with Sp2 or Sp3 (standalone install most likely sooner) ...

also it will be in next OS codenamed '7'

if You look at 'actual available informations about DX11 it looks like improved/polished DX10.1

(new Shader Model and especially hardware tesselation (yep that what any AMD.ATI HD3xxx and Hd4xxx card already got and in theory NVIDIA does too)

also physics is mentioned tho i think there will be more (sort of MS variant of OpenCL)

and note MS still workin on theirs new audio 'layer' beyond XACT

i bet new 'XNA" for DX11 will be quite interesting piece ...

John Carmack tell about DX 10 :

Quote[/b] ][...] DX 9 is a nice mature setup technology. It’s kind of the natural evolutionary peak sort of the old OpenGL model. It’s really taken that and it’s better. It’s cleaner and better defined.

So you got a whole bunch of people at Microsoft that make APIs. They have the idea that “we made this API that seems to be doing everything everybody really needs but we need to keep doing a new API every year or two because that’s what we do, otherwise they might dissolve our department†or something. [...]

biggrin_o.gif

(source & link interview : www.maximumpc.com)

That description could go for most things released by Microsoft nowadays. wink_o.gif

Dunno about 'crossfire support' but this rig has used ArmA under crossfire (AFR) with no problems and large FPS increases under both Win2K and now WinXP x64.

Simply renamed the arma.exe to FEAR.exe and a little tweaking.  FPS ranges usually from 34-75.

So what more could be done to support crossfire?

As it is the program seems friendly to it, just ATI drivers need to support arma.exe specifically instead of renaming it ourselves..?

p.s. Vista? no thanks...

There is noting amazing about DX10. I have World in Conflict and I always play it on DX9 High settings. I tried DX10 on Vista and it was very slow and look very very similar.

ok ladies now there is reason to develop with DX10/10.1 support

in this excelent article You got it explained into nice details

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms....emid=29

simply said DX11 is extended DX10.1 w/o breaking the chain

also notice DX11 will run on DX9 and up hardware but ofcourse you are 'features' limited

will be in Vista and up supported

summ01_tn.jpgsumm05_tn.jpg