Sign in to follow this  
R. Gerschwarzenge

Ofp with 3d glasses

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joltan @ June 10 2002,18:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What resolution/refresh rate do you recomend? At the moment I'm playing at 1280x960/32bit, but the monitor isn't good enough to have that resoltution at >100Hz, so I'll have to reduce it, right? What refresh rate do you consider an acceptable minimum for using the glasses?<span id='postcolor'>

Personally I am running at 800x600 at 85Hz. My monitor can't do >100Hz at anything higher than 640x480, so I decided 85 is not too bad. Besides, I don't get the headaches other people do, and I can play literally for hours without feeling sick. Once I'm engrossed in the game, the flickering doesn't bother me anymore smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What resolution/refresh rate do you recomend? At the moment I'm playing at 1280x960/32bit, but the monitor isn't good enough to have that resoltution at >100Hz, so I'll have to reduce it, right? What refresh rate do you consider an acceptable minimum for using the glasses?<span id='postcolor'>

I was running at 1280x960/32bit before I got the glasses. But due to refresh rates I went to 1024x768/32bit at 100Hz. You will never notice the differance in resolution because seeing everything in 3D makes it look so much better anyway. wink.gif

It really does look like a higher resolution with the glasses on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jason-Alaska @ June 12 2002,00:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was running at 1280x960/32bit before I got the glasses. But due to refresh rates I went to 1024x768/32bit at 100Hz. You will never notice the differance in resolution because seeing everything in 3D makes it look so much better anyway. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sounds good - now if I only would get it to work properly. I get the stereodriver to show the seperate images, but somehow the shutter glasses won't work. I got the IR version, and yes the glasses have fresh batteries.

I'm using the 23.11 NVidia detonator and the official 23.11 NVidia stereo driver. The 28.32 stereo driver was a bit instable, but I'm not sure what caused this (maybe a problem with my localization of Windows - also I recognized one of the stereo drivers to be version 4...2832 instead of version 6...2832).

As I use Win XP, I couldn't get the Elsa driver installed, but as I understood, it can be replaced by the nvidia stereo driver, right? Or do I need the extra Elsa driver, too - and if so, where can I find a driver that works with Win XP? I don't want to install Win 98 just to play OFP in 3d... No reason to go back to the dark ages.

Ok, solved my problems! OFP with 3d glasses rocks!!! smile.gif

This is for Windows XP - never tried it with Win98/ME.

I had two major problems getting it up and running:

1. No way the stereo addon would work for me: Solved by installing WHQL driver 29.42 and activating VSYNC with the NVHardPage tool (can be found at

www.guru3d.com). Then I installed the StereoPanel 28.32 and setup the 3d stuff. As a result my monitor started page-flipping when in Direct3d mode. Be sure to remove your old detonator completely (DetonatorDestroyer tool helps with cleaning your system)

2. So far so good, but my Revelator IR did not react to the flickering... the driver was working, so I had to asume the glasses were broken (batteries were new). After fiddling and searching around for over a week, I was about to send them back to the dealer. But today I found the following information on guru3d:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If your monitor supports DDC, the signal that triggers the Revelator gets disrupted. Therefore you have to remove the pins 12 and 15 from your vga cable (not the Y-cable that comes with your glasses).<span id='postcolor'>

I did that - et voila, suddenly it worked! Of course you should get second cable to try that - and you should be sure that you tried everything else before.

Now I'll try to disable ACPI - should get rid of the flickering that still plagues my system...

A happy gamer again! smile.gif

All I can say is - good thing I didn't install XP... hehehhe!

Anyways, I just found out (with another game, not OFP) that if you set the backplane or the monitor depth too near/far, your glasses will never seem to "activate", ie the picture doesn't split. The only way I could tell it WAS working was that the gamma had increased and my glasses WERE flickering.

A quick ALT-F10 and CTRL-F10 fixed it and split the scene.

Just thought you guys might want to know.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ELiTe @ June 17 2002,05:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All I can say is - good thing I didn't install XP... hehehhe!<span id='postcolor'>

Well, XP wasn't the problem, at least as far as my system was concerned. The monitor cable would have killed the 3d experience in Win98, too. The 29.42 WHQL driver together with the 28.32 stereo panel worked perfect as soon as the cable was fixed and the card forced into VSync mode.

Oh, and the flickering is gone - without me modifying the system any further... I just changed from 1024x768@85Hz to 800x600@100Hz (damn old monitor - you're next! sad.gif ). Looking good...

The only thing is that my ability to snipe with regular weapons at far distances is a bit reduced by the lower resolution, but the 3d experience even makes it fun to fly as a bird in MP. wink.gif

I only needed to adjust stereo separation and convergence to get a good 3d effect and to adjust the sights. Never touched the backplane/screen depth thingy.

Wow, that was quick. The V29.80 drivers just hit the 'net, and the stereoscopic drivers usually lag behind quite a bit.

Thanks for posting the link, I'll have to try them when I get home.

Anyone have problems with ED 3d glasses? I get a crash to desktop running Xp Home,and can not get them to run properly.Other games work ok,some better than others,and some will require fiddling with the config files to get the game look ok.Any experience appreciated.

EDimensional offers no help.

I have an ASUS GeForce 3 Ti200 on an Athlon 1333MHz T-Bird. I'm currently playing the game at 1024*768*32bit*Quincuxx AA with NO hic-ups and ALL feature on and maxed...

If I go for a pair of 3D glasses, let's say those E-D, will I have to lower my resolution to less than 800*600?

Lowering the resolution will make the game look a lot worse or the 3D glasses pay you off for this compromise?!

Oh, and for more information check this site: www.stereovision.net

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Prof.Wizard @ June 27 2002,01:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If I go for a pair of 3D glasses, let's say those E-D, will I have to lower my resolution to less than 800*600?

Lowering the resolution will make the game look a lot worse or the 3D glasses pay you off for this compromise?!<span id='postcolor'>

Trust me on this - even if you DO lower it to 640x480, you won't think that it looks bad. The 3D Effect more than makes up for it. Besides, eversince I've started playing games in 3D, I've never activated any sort of anti-aliasing. The jaggies suddenly "disappeared"... smile.gif

Anyway rest easy - with your system specs as given, you only need to lower to 800x600. You may even continue to play at 1024x768 if you want to, meaning if you don't mind the slight slow-downs due to 3D...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ELiTe @ June 27 2002,08:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Prof.Wizard @ June 27 2002,01:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lowering the resolution will make the game look a lot worse or the 3D glasses pay you off for this compromise?!<span id='postcolor'>

Trust me on this - even if you DO lower it to 640x480, you won't think that it looks bad. The 3D Effect more than makes up for it.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually I stopped playing 3D for now, as 800x600 really reduces gameplay for me - I can't shoot as good at far distances in 3D, as I could using a higher resolution in 2D. After a few days of playing in 3D I found out that to me a higher screen resolution was more important than the nice effect of 3D. I looks cool, but to enjoy gameplay I need the ability to spot my enemy, which comes basically down to the need for a higher screen resolution.

The problem ain't my video card - the GF2 Ti I have could easily let me play at 1024x768@32bit in 3d and still offer decent frame rates - but my monitor. 1024x768 is only possible at 85Hz and everything under 100Hz is a real strain on the eyes in 3D (^=50Hz per eye), so I can't recommend it.

Elite is right in as far that it looks better in 3D-mode than in 2D-mode at the same resolution. But at 800x600 in 3D it never reaches the quality of playing at 1152x864@75Hz in 2D (4xFSAA & negative LOD) as I usually do. The "enhancement" comes basically from the antialiasing effect that you get by melting the two different images into one.

Until I get a monitor that allows for more than 85Hz at 1024x768 (the minimum resolution I consider any good for OFP), I keep playing in 2D. At least I know I can play in 3D if I really want to. Also some other games that don't have that many long distance weapons (like Gothic, a game I still enjoy very much) work fine even at low resolutions.

HI guys

I reeeeealy need some help getting my E-Dimensional glasses to work with OFP (as i just forked out $100).

Allrighty, here are my system specs:

Voodoo 5500 (Geforece recently croaked....bless her heart, sad.gif )

512 Ram

1.4 GHz Athlon TBird

A Belinea 17" monitor...still trying to find the exact specs online...dammit (I lost my manual when I recently moved house.)

Using the latest 5.02 HD stereo utility thingy.

Got the E.D.exe switching utility on my system.

The thing is...... I cant get the bloody thing to go 3D, all I get is this flickering display with lots of blank lines when i got into OFP.

sad.gif........

Help much appreciated, thanks.

Okay, I've done some more testing:

Tried Unreal Tournment and also UT: Strike Force, all good ran good. With UT, the wicked3D splash screenw as seen.

Tried SWAT 3: All good, ran fine.

OFP:........*somebody hand me a kleenex*....... Seriously, it seems to me the GL wrapper or something isnt working...or Wicked3D isnt detecting that OFP is running. Plus...... what wrapper do i need to use for OFP??? What di you NVidia guys do with regards to wrappers?

Thx all

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (.236 @ July 03 2002,17:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What di you NVidia guys do with regards to wrappers?<span id='postcolor'>

What's a wrapper? For the GForce cards 3D functionality is offered directly by the Nvidia graphics driver - you don't need no additional drivers (although there is a 3d panel that offers easier configuration of the 3d modes you could do the config with one of the many tweaking utilities, too). You either activate the 3d mode by default (as soon as OpenGL or Direct3D are used) or using a key combination.

I've tried using the auto detect method, and manually....but you see ..... somehow the 3D-Stereo program needs to detect the game is running and then either : 1. It auto activates the 3D-Stereo system or 2. It doesnt fire up the 3-D Stereo system but you can still enable it from within the game with whatever hot keys you assigend OR... 3. Neither.......*kleenex*.

So, the hot keys wont work from within OFP, and the 3D-Stereo system doesn't activiate automatically when I start OFP.Im running glide and have configured Wicked3D (the program that auto detects and activates the sytem) to use glide and openGL.

You must be using the old Eyescream glasses with the Metabyte drivers right? Those where the original main-stream shutter glasses... Does your horizontal screen resolution get halved? (as an example, does a game run in 800x600 become 800x300?) If so that's definitly them.

The Geoforce stereo drivers work differently, they use the z-buffer information to set stereo seperation and just work with any given 3-D game (for the most part).

I ordered my glasses yesterday after reading up on how good these work in Flashpoint. It's been a while since I last used 3-D glasses, but I have a MUCH faster system (I currently play in 1600x1200), and the drivers look like they've matured so this should be fun.

Why-oh-why did I pick cheapen out and go for 2 day shipping over 1?? smile.gif

Thanks to everyone who contributed info to this thread, I feel like I'm fully briefed for when the glasses show. Can't wait!

I just recieved my ed glasses and ofp looks amazing, but just one problem i cannont get the iron sights to work. I have the 29.42 drivers and i cannot get the hot keys to work. I have set the keys to various combonations of keys to change the convergence and other options. but they dont work in the game. Can any Please give me any ideas on this.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (leber026 @ Aug. 06 2002,02:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just recieved my ed glasses and ofp looks amazing, but just one problem i cannont get the iron sights to work. I have the 29.42 drivers and i cannot get the hot keys to work.<span id='postcolor'>

Hotkeys don't work in HW T&L mode. Turn off HW T&L and you're fine.

Hmmm... with the 29.80 drivers *AND* the 29.80 stereo control panel I can use the hotkeys with T&L turned on! I was able to set depth AND convergance with T&L.

You can get both set of files from here...

http://www.guru3d.com/

It's worth checking out for the performance improvement.

I'm using these drivers on a Geforce Ti 4600

Game looks frigin' sweet btw.

I am not a big Voice at this forum, as I more enjoy to read through all that interesting threads here at the official forums.

I bought one of these glasses on Ebay for 10 Euro (good price eh ?) and played the game i am playing for nearly a year now.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

Thanks guys for this outstanding tips. I only can tell anyone who owns OFP to get the Revelators. I have a new love affair with great dame OFP now. biggrin.gif

As I understand, there is no such 3d glasses that can work with ATI Radeon card on Windows 2000.

Am I right ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joltan @ Aug. 06 2002,08:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hotkeys don't work in HW T&L mode. Turn off HW T&L and you're fine.<span id='postcolor'>

Eh? I could have sworn they worked back when I didn't know any better and had HW TnL turned on... the only problem with HW TnL on is just that the smoke and some other particles are at the wrong depth, usually giving me some eye-watering scenes smile.gif

Running with HW TnL off fixes all the "wrong depth" and "iron sights not working" problems, well, at least in my case.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ELiTe @ Aug. 13 2002,03:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Eh? I could have sworn they worked back when I didn't know any better and had HW TnL turned on... the only problem with HW TnL on is just that the smoke and some other particles are at the wrong depth, usually giving me some eye-watering scenes<span id='postcolor'>

Only tried with older driver versions (28.32 & 29.something). I never had problems with smoke and stuff with or without HW T&L (GForce 2 Ti)... all displayed fine. But it was never possible for me to use the keys to change the stereo separation and convergence to adjust the sights for good aiming in 3d. In standard direct3d mode on the other hand that was possible.

Sure, some hotkeys work in HW T&L, but not the ones you need to adapt the 3dvision to your needs - and those are the important ones. And if the important ones aren't working, what's it worth? Nothing.