Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

-maxmem=512

What does the command -maxmem512 do? Everyone is recommending it for Vista users and I'm using Vista Enterprise 32-bit, so I guess that applies to me. What is it? What does it do? Why do I want to do it? Will anyone respond to this huh.gif ? Thanks... Juggernaut

Oh and FYI my specs are as follows:

-GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB

-Athlon 64 X2 5600+ ~2.8 GHz

-2 GB OCZ Platinum Revision 2 DDR2 800 RAM

- pistols.gif Biostar TF520-A2 Motherboard

I would like to know this, too. My System is pretty good i think, IntelCore2Duo with 2.0Ghz Geforce 8600GT 2GB DDR and Vista. It runs even Gears of War smooth but not Armed Assault. And that sucks.

Maxmem commands should not be used since they changed the memory handling with 1.11b or was it 1.09b?

I had less lags and crashes after i started using -maxmem 512 again. (with 1.14)

Might be worth a try, it surely doesnt break anything.

As a hint i can tell you that better not to use it with larger addons.

We at SL:R for example have 800MB of addons and when you would use this maxmem, it would crashes immediately or after some short time.

Hm installed Vista SP 1. Game still runs bad. Iam thinking of bringing it back to the dealer, and get my money back.

Even on lowest graphics Itseme?

Anyway, so I am running 6thSense.eu mod so it will not be good to run that command? It's a 3.7 GB(?) mod so I'd say it's large...

Quote[/b] ]I had less lags and crashes after i started using -maxmem 512 again. (with 1.14)

Same here. Latest set of drivers for everything installed Arma crashed or froze the comp pretty often when using 1.14 on a fresh Windows XP install.

After implementing the obsolete maxmem command I had no crash so far. Pretty strange imo.

No, -maxmem=xxx is not obsolete and can still be used to control the memory usage. What is obsolete is the -vm108 switch - this one does nothing at all now.

Thx for clearing that up. So many things have changed since Arma 1.00 that I have slightly lost overview. smile_o.gif

After some more intensified testing tonight I got no single ctd with maxmem but constant CTD´s after a while and even total computer lockups without using it. Performance seems to be stable fluid and fine with maxmem.

Specs:

Athlon XP 3000+ oc

2 Gig GEIL DDR RAM

Leadtek 7600 GT AGP oc

Soundblaster X-Fi

Temps under load:

CPU: 56 °C

GPU: 67 °C

RAM: 49 °C

System Temp: 33°C

Settings:

Terrain detail: normal

Object detail: High

Texture detail: High

Shader: High

Postprocess: Low

AF: Normal

Shadows: Deactivated

AA: low

Res: 1024x768 32bit

Vd: 1200

Quite happy with the framerate.

No, -maxmem=xxx is not obsolete and can still be used to control the memory usage. What is obsolete is the -vm108 switch - this one does nothing at all now.

@Suma that is great to know. I am going to try that on my own system. I have been purging Addons like crazy to see why I CTD perhaps this will fix it like other people in this post.

But getting back to the original question. What does it do?

Is it related to video memory? What value should you put in that switch and why would it fix the CTD that some people have. (me included).

Thanks

Styxx

Okay WOW.

I added maxmem=512 and the results where less then stellar.

I crashed to desktop, or got out of memory error with in minutes of firing up a mission, I only tried three different missions but all three after a few minutes in the game crashed.

I noticed that other people have tried different amounts in the maxmem so I will try that tonight to see if there is a correct amount to put in that maxmem line for my system.

I increased my textures, shadows and AA to high and didn't notice a a reduction in FPS but the "Block" people where sitting in the M119 across from me. Slow building of wheels from little angles to actual wheels and then to a clearly defined wheel.

Again for the most part I can live with this (it sucks) because I am playing the game and not just for the graphics. I still think it is addon related but haven't and most likely won't troubleshoot this issue any further.

@Suma

Can you explain a little clearer on what the maxmem "Workaround" does?

You said "used to control the memory usage" But in what respect?

Is this RAM usage? or Hard drive usage or even Video usage? I think from what I read it is Ram. Is this limiting or expanding how much is used?

Should I increase or decrease. I saw in the Wiki, it says to try a lower amount like 384 if errors , but only saw people advising to increase the amount.

I am running Xp64 and have 4 gig of Ram.

I like to know so I can make an informed troubleshooting decision in stead of just throwing numbers at my Launch line.

And I totally would understand if it is just to deep to explain in laymen terms.

Kind regards,

Styxx

Styxx, what kind of graphic card do you have?

In case you missed it :

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....6;st=60

bottom of page

XP 64 + 4G RAM + ATI Card + ArmA + Full Screen = BAD

try using windowed mode in case you have a ATI card

Oh I wish that was the case whisper.

I have an Alpha Dog XFX8800Gt 512 DDR3 OC 670 (as in manufactures over clock).

How do you run it in a window though? I checked the PIF and there is no option. I would like to try and see if that fixes it.

Thanks

Styxx

Can you explain a little clearer on what the maxmem "Workaround" does?  

You said "used to control the memory usage"  But in what respect?

Is this RAM usage? or Hard drive usage or even Video usage?  I think from what I read it is Ram.  Is this limiting or expanding how much is used?  

Should I increase or decrease.  I saw in the Wiki, it says to try a lower amount like 384 if errors , but only saw people advising to increase the amount.

It controls RAM usage. If you increase it, you allow more RAM to be allocated by the game, which usually means better performance, but there is higher risk of the virtual address space being exhausted and not available for the graphics card driver.

Decreasing it should make the game more stable in long term by reducing the virtual address space usage, but if you decrease to much, so that even the data which are needed for one frame of rendering and simulation will not fit, the game will stop working.

thats really helpfull info, now i fully understand what the maxmem command is for, so what would be the recomended usage, i use 512 but i sometimes get CTD but its not that big deal when playing domination on a full server for 3 hours.

That does help, Thanks Suma.

pauld I was CTD a lot lately and even more with -maxmem=512, I bumped it up to 1024 and it is way more stable. I was crashing at least once an hour some times more, now once in 4 to five hours (only tested that once)

I have 4 gig of Ram and am running XP 64 so from what Suma says, with my Ram space and only a 512 memory video card I should be fine even with 2048 (which I am going to test tonight) I already ran it for an hour last night with 2048 and it seems fine.

Once again thanks for the clarification on the maxmem command. I haven't see the out of memory error since I bumped it up. And that is great.

Oh I asked how to run it in a window, I found it in google on another forum.

Posted here if someone sees my question and wants the answer as well.

-window Displays ArmA windowed instead of full screen

-x= Numeric, used to set resolution width

-y= Numeric, used to set resolution height

(can be used in conjunction with -x/-y: -window -x=800 -y=600)

(yes I am sure it was on this forum too, but the 30 pages of hits I got where too many to look through)

Cheers peeps.

Styxx

thanx mate, thats very helpfull ive been quite worried about bumping it up to 1012 incase something else went wrong but ill test that out tonight and see how it goes, just the other day i had a major CTD, my graphic card over heater and i had red and blue lines running verticly across my screen then my monitor switched to safe mode, bit of a scary moment, i havent had one since i put the maxmem command back on, my specs are intel q6600 2.4ghz quadcore (not OC) nvidia 8800 gts 512 g2 with 3gig ddr 2 and onboard realtek sound card, cant remember the rest biggrin_o.gif

thanx mate, thats very helpfull ive been quite worried about bumping it up to 1012 incase something else went wrong but ill test that out tonight and see how it goes, just the other day i had a major CTD, my graphic card over heater and i had red and blue lines running verticly across my screen then my monitor switched to safe mode, bit of a scary moment, i havent had one since i put the maxmem command back on, my specs are intel q6600 2.4ghz quadcore (not OC) nvidia 8800 gts 512 g2 with 3gig ddr 2 and onboard realtek sound card, cant remember the rest biggrin_o.gif

@pauld

If your GPU is not OC'd then I could make sure your case if venting okay. Get a big 120 mm fan and blow it on your video card to add to the cooling. I have 2 120's blowing in to my case, and one 120 blowing out. (The PSU also blows into the case).

That artifacting could be really bad juju for your Video card.