Sign in to follow this  
King Haggis

GeForce GTX280

Its fine if the pc doesn't crash. It's not fine if it shoots up to 60C and then crashes.

So in this case, it was not "absolutely fine". I guess I did leave out a detail. After replacing the PSU the temps were back around 40C. My point being that the PSU was causing a dramatic rise in temps that lead to crashes. A simple PSU replacement rectified the situation (after all the BS I went through).

Yeah I agree, PSU's can be a pain in the ass. My problem isn't overheating of the PSU, at least I think it isn't...

It's just that 650W isn't good enough for this monstrous GTX280. I'll see if the problems go away when I put in a new PSU. If that solves the problem, the GTX280 is indeed a bigger power consumer than the GX2.

goodnight.gif

Seems I was wrong about earlier - under load the GTX280 consumes a good deal more power than the GX2. What make is your PSU?

I wonder how armed assault will run with the 4850 and 4870.

Considering ATI's intermittent driver problems, the question is, "Will it run ArmA?" At any rate, I do believe this is a thread about the GeForce GTX280...

It is but this is an example of a cutting-edge hardware not working for a demanding game.

cutting edge?

Let's see if I remember the steps......

PC listed in sig was built in Feb 07'

Nvidia did not get SLI to work until mid to late summer 07' (Vista related)

Picked up Atari ArmA in June 07' (4 gig mem worked)but had to lower native res to 1950x1400 or it just crashed quickly, -maxmem=512 was a must, running in XP sp2 compatibility, was a must.

Sept/Oct 07', Nvidia released a driver that would run ArmA@ 2560x1600.......but SLI would cause flickers, NV issues ect (4 gig mem did not work anymore).

Todays drivers work all around, (ArmA patch 1.12/1.14 fixed 4 gig mem issue)

Hate to say it, but the newer cards may be awhile before they work all around.

Quote[/b] ]It's just that 650W isn't good enough for this monstrous GTX280.
Brand and Type can make a whole bit of difference.

I use a PC Power & Cool Silencer 750 Mainly because it got 1 massive 12v rail of 60A, and noise reduction system

(Next probably the TurboCool 860)

Sickboy im using the gtx280 with a yorkfield at 4.5ghz (Vapochill Lightspeed), everything is maxed, except for the AA witch i have at "Normal", and it never goes below 50 fps, even in the north forest. Finally to be honest.
OS and Drivers, SP/MP, Resolution?

4.5ghz; Oohlalala biggrin_o.gif I'm gonna wait for nehalem and CSI, before the next upgrade. Maybe it's time for phasechange cooling aswell, but boy that stuff seems expensive  biggrin_o.gif

Hi there,

Arma 1.14 also runs fine for me with a XFX GTX 280 card ( 177.35 drivers i think ). I only had issues when the game entered 3d mode the screen always went blank. After connecting a different 8-pin cable of my PSU (750 W) to the card it worked fine. Strange thing, the menu worked fine all the time though.

Im using Vista Ultimate 32bits, drivers 177.39, multiplayer (coop), 1680x1050, when i had the 9800gx2 i tried to play with my tv 38" 1920x1080 but it was too big made my head hurt.

About the Vapochill, i bought a used unit for 250 euro. The best hardware that i ever had that's for sure.

Im using Vista Ultimate 32bits, drivers 177.39, multiplayer (coop), 1680x1050, when i had the 9800gx2 i tried to play with my tv 38" 1920x1080 but it was too big made my head hurt.

About the Vapochill, i bought a used unit for 250 euro. The best hardware that i ever had that's for sure.

Hehe, won't have that problem with Powersupplies that have 1 12V rail (like mine :P) instead of a few.

About the performance, resolution is a bit smaller, but not sure if that should make too much difference.

About the screen, what distance were you sitting away from the screen? I'm sitting about 2.5-4.5meters from the screen (I change it a bit depending on what im doing; Writing scripts or Playing Games :P)

That would be because when the 3D work started hitting the card, it stopped working.

Quote[/b] ]Nvidia did not get SLI to work until mid to late summer 07' (Vista related)

Picked up Atari ArmA in June 07' (4 gig mem worked)but had to lower native res to 1950x1400 or it just crashed quickly, -maxmem=512 was a must, running in XP sp2 compatibility, was a must.

Sept/Oct 07', Nvidia released a driver that would run ArmA@ 2560x1600.......but SLI would cause flickers, NV issues ect (4 gig mem did not work anymore).

In all fairness, SLI has been, is, and is likely to always be a recipe for disaster. I try at any possible opportunity to advise people to stay well away from it.

In all fairness, SLI has been, is, and is likely to always be a recipe for disaster. I try at any possible opportunity to advise people to stay well away from it.

For the current situation and situation in the past, I agree.

But for the future I believe SLI, or at least multi-GPU technology will be the way to go to. Kinda like the Multi-CPU progression.

If you are concerned about PSU brand I recommend the following: Silverstone , Antec , Thermaltake , Corsair and PC Power and Cooling.

@Silves: I'm jealous wow_o.gif

That would be because when the 3D work started hitting the card, it stopped working.
Quote[/b] ]Nvidia did not get SLI to work until mid to late summer 07' (Vista related)

I dont think so ...not so disastrous

That link proves nothing other then that Crysis runs like a dream on that SLI rig smile_o.gif

Plus it doesn't change what CH_123 meant to express:

SLI and Crossfire are not working perfect for EVERY combination of games / systems / drivers out there.

Hence I also recommend people to get a fast single GPU as opposed to some cheaper, but then in SLI / Crossfire cards smile_o.gif

Not claiming that SLI/Crossfire sucks, never working, crap, or whatever. Just stating that there are enough people who report about worse performance, driver problems, profiles missing for games, etc. etc. about SLI / Crossfire.

Just ordered a Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W. Hope that'll do the trick. I'm not sure if it has a single 12v rail though and I know wattage isn't always everything. It was the best PSU I could get before the weekend and I really need to get ArmA going by then. If I still get that black screen, maybe the card is damaged but I still think it's the Antec 650W NeoPower that's just not up to the task.

Oh, and I agree about that SLI stuff. The GX2 gave me nothing but trouble and stuttering. With 70% of the games, I had to disable the second GPU to get a better result but what's the point of having a GX2 with 1 GPU? Might as well have sticked with my 8800 Ultra. That's why I bought the GTX280. A lot of people may be bashing it now, but I'll prefer a good single GPU card over a SLI or double GPU card anyday. Should give a much smoother experience i.m.o.

At least, when your PSU is up for the task biggrin_o.gif

Antec PSUs are top class, I think that should solve any potential power problems.

Quote[/b] ]i tried to play with my tv 38" 1920x1080 but it was too big made my head hurt.

Its probably to do with the image quality, a computer screen needs an much higher standard of quality than a television or it will look shit or hurt your head because it doesn't refresh the picture properly and such. That's why a professional-grade 20" monitor costs more than a 40-50" Plasma TV.

Considering ATI's intermittent driver problems, the question is, "Will it run ArmA?" At any rate, I do believe this is a thread about the GeForce GTX280...

well i use both company's cards,( eveyday) and ATI in Arma is much better driver wise, XP for sure. NVDA has had the worst drivers over the last year.

No Ati/AMD is the better driver team now. And i have been using CF and SLI for years now...in Arma and other games. works fine almost all of the time, Or i should say i have about as many issues as with a single card just different issues.... Atleast with NVDA drivers.

A 4870/4850 i would recommend over all other cards except the 280gtx if you have the cash, but all of the above need better PSUs if you are coming from a old system/ vidcard. Also i find that most CF/Sli issues are from the chipset/Motherboard if all the software has been debugged.

Good call on that PSU King Haggis. I would have gone for that one if I didnt have my mind set on a 1200W Silverstone.

Also i find that most CF/Sli issues are from the chipset/Motherboard if all the software has been debugged.

That's true enough, but it doesn't take into account two problems -

1) Alot of games don't get debugged properly, or they get debugged months after the release so you spend ages waiting for the game to be ready with SLI.

2) If the problem is with the chipset or motherboard, then you're kinda screwed, because no driver update will change the design of a chipset. You're either stuck with a useless second card, or you have to go around shopping for a motherboard that works correctly, that may not be the best motherboard in other regards.

BFG GTX 280 works fine here. Absolutely no issues whatsoever.

E

That link proves nothing other then that Crysis runs like a dream on that SLI rig smile_o.gif

Plus it doesn't change what CH_123 meant to express:

SLI and Crossfire are not working perfect for EVERY combination of games / systems / drivers  out there.

Hence I also recommend people to get a fast single GPU as opposed to some cheaper, but then in SLI / Crossfire cards smile_o.gif

Not claiming that SLI/Crossfire sucks, never working, crap, or whatever. Just stating that there are enough people who report about worse performance, driver problems, profiles missing for games, etc. etc. about SLI / Crossfire.

I think SLI is the future, there is a video in wich they plug 2 240GTX and with a small overclock and liquid nitrogen cooling they rech synergy....

I mean 1+1>2

I believe that this is the target and it will be achieved in the near future just with the proper drivers.