Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

Not very encouraging news about ArmedA 2

Quote[/b] ]A quality mil sim shooter controlled with an gamepad?

You know what? One of the reasons - at least for me - that I like to use the 360 controller for shooters and especially mil sim shooters is that this controller feels much more like having a gun in your hand. Pulling the trigger to shoot is a different feeling than hitting a key...  pistols.gif

Grim

360 controllers have triggers?  wow_o.gif

Or is that the button on the back your talking about?  whistle.gif

Are you really insinuating that CLICKING WITH A DAMNED MOUSE BUTTON is a better representation of pulling a gun trigger than actually pulling the RT on a 360 controller (with slight pull = hold breath)

If you are saying that, you are even dumber than i thought was possible:)

Anyway, i notice the arrogance/hostility towards consoles haven't changed one bit since the Elite days ... well, you guys will never, ever, ever convince me ... not even when you give me some nice little usb led light to 'shine by my keyboard'

I'm waiting for a 360 version of ArmA2/OFP2, adn god forbid, i hope they don't go cross-platform ... i don't want no fr*kking pc gamer yelling 'i owned you with my mouse/keyboard' (or typing it ... what else is the use of a keyboard)

360 controllers have both, left button/left trigger, right button/right trigger........

No flaming please Max, no need to sink to their level smile_o.gif

You know what? One of the reasons - at least for me - that I like to use the 360 controller for shooters and especially mil sim shooters is that this controller feels much more like having a gun in your hand. Pulling the trigger to shoot is a different feeling than hitting a key... pistols.gif

Grim

360 controllers have triggers? wow_o.gif

Or is that the button on the back your talking about? whistle.gif

Are you really insinuating that CLICKING WITH A DAMNED MOUSE BUTTON is a better representation of pulling a gun trigger than actually pulling the RT on a 360 controller (with slight pull = hold breath)

Anyway, i notice the arrogance/hostility towards consoles haven't changed one bit since the Elite days ... well, you guys will never, ever, ever convince me ... not even when you give me some nice little usb led light to 'shine by my keyboard'

I'm waiting for a 360 version of ArmA2/OFP2, adn god forbid, i hope they don't go cross-platform ... i don't want no fr*kking pc gamer yelling 'i owned you with my mouse/keyboard' (or typing it ... what else is the use of a keyboard)

Thankyou for your lovely input Max. Remind you to buy you a drink if we ever meet.

Anyway, I wasnt flaming in any way or form, it was meant to be a little tongue in cheeek but maybe it didnt come across the way it was intended.

I have no issue with people using a console for this game. I dont own one and I never will so I cannot comment on the way Arma is played on them. What I can say and will is the fact that surely there is more control with using a mouse / keyboard than there is with a controller or do they auto-target?

Be cool if they did go x-platform because then we (the PC owners) can say, 'We owned you, hahahaahahahah!!!!!!'. tounge2.gif

Have a nice day.

You know what? One of the reasons - at least for me - that I like to use the 360 controller for shooters and especially mil sim shooters is that this controller feels much more like having a gun in your hand. Pulling the trigger to shoot is a different feeling than hitting a key...  pistols.gif

Grim

Thankyou for your lovely input Max.  Remind you to buy you a drink if we ever meet.

Anyway, I wasnt flaming in any way or form, it was meant to be a little tongue in cheeek but maybe it didnt come across the way it was intended.

I have no issue with people using a console for this game.  I dont own one and I never will so I cannot comment on the way Arma is played on them.  What I can say and will is the fact that surely there is more control with using a mouse / keyboard than there is with a controller or do they auto-target?

Be cool if they did go x-platform because then we (the PC owners) can say, 'We owned you, hahahaahahahah!!!!!!'.  tounge2.gif

Have a nice day.

My input stands:) and i do so for fun ...

Anyway, (i suppose) you don't have a 'controller' yet you present the 'fact' that a mouse/keyboard 'surely' gives more control???

Wheter that is true or not i don't care, but building up your arguments has severe flaws:)

Now, i was a pc gamer for years, and even last year i played ArmA ... on pc ... so i at least have used both input devices. I prefer the 360 controller ... a no nonsense, highly amazing, very versitle, quality input device. If the devs use it correctly even a tac mil sim shooter where using your brains is more important than split second aiming should not be a problem with a controller (at least not for me)

And seriously, i don't want cross platform pc gamer in my session, for the same reason as i don't want any Halo kids ... that reason is that in both cases we don't mix very well.

On xbl you are welcome (even as a friend in my xbl friendslist;)

On xbl you are welcome (even as a friend in my xbl friendslist;)

Such a nice man...... yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Quote[/b] ]No flaming please Max, no need to sink to their level

So 'Placebo' better make sure that ArmA2 on the 360 is NOT a dumbed down version of the game. All flamewars will stop if we have the same game (incl. the editor please) on our console and can play it the way we want. Because then we don't have time to respond to these 'pc' folks anymore  nener.gif

Grim

No flaming please Max, no need to sink to their level smile_o.gif

Yes Sir, Placebo, Sir

Anyway, as Dale says ... i'm such a nice man (but only on 360smile_o.gif)

i see no point to waste resources on E3 as that event is completely ignored now (even by several big studios and publishers) ...

there are more important Game Shows to attend with better return value for time/money spent on such presentation ...

Did find a few videos labeled ArmedA 2 on YouTube so assume that these are indeed in game footage and stills.

Maybe no reason to panic just yet. November is still a long ways off... wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]No flaming please Max, no need to sink to their level

So 'Placebo' better make sure that ArmA2 on the 360 is NOT a dumbed down version of the game. All flamewars will stop if we have the same game (incl. the editor please) on our console and can play it the way we want. Because then we don't have time to respond to these 'pc' folks anymore  nener.gif

Grim

ROFLMFAO, are you serious? You CANT have the same game on the Xbox360 because the PC is vastly superior in terms of technology and raw horsepower than a console. Keep in mind that the top tier PC graphics card costs more than 2 Xbox 360s, Top tier processors can cost over 4 x as much as an Xbox 360. I could go on, but I won't wink_o.gif

Games like ArmA are not made for consoles. You should be thankful they even bother to port them at all. If you want to experience games like ArmA at their best, buy a PC, otherwise be VERY happy that you get anything at all.

E

Quote[/b] ]ROFLMFAO, are you serious? You CANT have the same game on the Xbox360 because the PC is vastly superior   (...)

rofl.gif

Sorry, but I quit reading after that, since it's the typical PC nerd nonsense we have to read over and over.  

Grim

Anyways...

Arma 2 will be featured at Games Convention in Leipzig from the 20th to the 23rd of August.

Quote[/b] ]ROFLMFAO, are you serious? You CANT have the same game on the Xbox360 because the PC is vastly superior   (...)

rofl.gif

Sorry, but I quit reading after that, since it's the typical PC nerd nonsense we have to read over and over.  

Grim

Well if you'd bothered to read on you would understand why an Xbox 360 cannot replicate a PCs performance. Your choice not to accept that fact.

E

I don't own a console game but have played a few and have to admit , the concept of trying to remember something like "Push Y and X then the Fire Button" to access an operation that is one key on the PC keyboard  doesn't sound very appealing to me.

I don't want a light to shine on my keyboard and frikking search for 1 key in the midst of 100+ other keys (and have to remember them as well, without a booklet, next to the keyboard on the frikking desk)

I want my eyes glued to the screen, my 2 hands round the damn near perfect 360 controller, fingers on the analogue triggers, 2 thumbs on 2!! analogue sticks ... with a couple of extra buttons to go, headset on, talking to my XBL buddies and go,go,go in my own self made, with the ffff***ggg mission editor, on a extended co-op campaign having serious fun in a quality mil sim shooter.

... and that is what i want on 360smile_o.gif

Hee Masqubit, I do own a PC and an XBOX360 and have a couple of games on both platforms. I prefer the keyboard and mouse over the xbox controller but ofcourse that's a personal choice. However the worry PC gamers have about Arma2 being cross platform is a real one and has nothing to do with the one being a better games platform than the other, but simply the fact that in the past certain features were removed from games (like Oblivion) to make the game more accessible for consoles. We don't want to see that happen to Arma2. Does not mean i haven't enjoyed playing on teh XBOX. It's just a different gaming experience than on the PC.

Cheers.

rofl.gif

Grim

Amen to that

internal dev meeting:

A. i heard there are 10 million 360 owners

B. sure?

A. yes! ... now if we could sell our hard-core shooter to 2% of those, that would mean, errrmm, 200.000 copies ... not bad

B. yeah, but that is too easy

A. what do you mean?

B. lets go for the super niche of that one guy who owns a super-hyper-you-name-the-specs-future computer and make a game tailored for him

A. hmmm

B. ... we can make the island real big, remember, what we always wanted, you can see the whole island if you set the 'view distance' to max ... a gamers paradise

A. one guy heh? how much will he pay for our game

B. 40$

A. but what about those 200.000 other gamers

B. forget them ... (now what about long grass that conceals over distance)

rofl.gif

Grim

Amen to that

You quit reading just because you can't accept the fact. PC > consoles anytime.

Don't know about all this X > Y nonsense, what I do know though is that the very "aiming" part of a shooter is interesting me, as much as all the squad control, tactical moves and such other parts of ArmA that are interesting.

And in the aiming department, I fear gamepads are at the wrong end of the performance scale of possible controllers. You're much faster and more precise with a mouse, ain't you?

Quote[/b] ]And in the aiming department, I fear gamepads are at the wrong end of the performance scale of possible controllers. You're much faster and more precise with a mouse, ain't you?

Three points:

1. How fast and how good the controls are with a controller doesn't depend that much on the controller but on the programmer. OFP Elite was a good example since it is very easy to control your character as well as your squad. I hope that ArmA2 for the 360 will be as good or even better.

2. Even if we assume that the mouse/keyboard combo is faster than the controller, then this is only theory since not everyone can use them to their full potential. Even if the mouse/keyboard combination is actually faster that doesn't help someone used to the controller settings of a certain console. Eventually this person will be better/faster with the controller.

3. Even if it is possible to turn around/aim with the mouse/keyboard combo with 'incredible speed' this has one mega flaw: it isn't realistic. A soldier with lots of stuff on his back, with a heavy rifle, MG or sitting in a tank etc. isn't that fast as you PC players want to have your games...

So the controller movement may be the better sim here...

Grim

3. Even if it is possible to turn around/aim with the mouse/keyboard combo with 'incredible speed' this has one mega flaw: it isn't realistic. A soldier with lots of stuff on his back, with a heavy rifle, MG or sitting in a tank etc. isn't that fast as you PC players want to have your games...

Have you played OFP or ArmA?

Quote[/b] ]Have you played OFP or ArmA?

OFP, yes, long time ago but wasn't fun for me so I quit. ArmA only the demo which wasn't fun either, since I lose interest very fast if forced to play with mouse/keyboard. I only play strategy games on the PC.

Grim

*goes into selectively blind mode because of the utter nonsence above from both side and back on topic*

why whould BI need to spend money on a not so useful "game show" that are for large company to show off their shiny new GFX? aint they have more things to do right now like improving the engine to make it what its mean for?

Quote[/b] ]Have you played OFP or ArmA?

OFP, yes, long time ago but wasn't fun for me so I quit. ArmA only the demo which wasn't fun either, since I lose interest very fast if forced to play with mouse/keyboard. I only play strategy games on the PC.

Grim

If neither game was fun for you why come to this forum?