Sign in to follow this  
darkside six

3DS Max

I think a typical workflow for Max users is this:

Modeling in 3DS Max -> Exporting .3ds -> Import .3ds in anim8tor -> export 3ds with KFData -> import 3ds with Oxygen -> Do geo lods/lods/hit boxes etc -> save in "ArmA" 3d format.

Then do configs and add them in pbo files.

So 3Ds Max somehow is "ArmA" compatible.

I think a typical workflow for Max users is this:

Modeling in 3DS Max -> Exporting .3ds -> Import .3ds in anim8tor -> export 3ds with KFData -> import 3ds with Oxygen -> Do geo lods/lods/hit boxes etc -> save in "ArmA" 3d format.

Then do configs and add them in pbo files.

So 3Ds Max somehow is "ArmA" compatible.

Modeling in 3DS Max -> Exporting .3ds -> import 3ds with Oxygen -> Do geo lods/lods/hit boxes etc -> save in "ArmA" 3d format.

No, maps in 3ds max and ArmA are completely uncompatible. It doesn't work how you think it works. Also Max would burn and crash if you tried to create any map on scale of ArmA in it.

It might be possible, but in the same range as unicorns might exist.

If you're just thinking terrain, you could just convert the polygon surface to bitmap and import it to V3 I guess. How? I dunno...

I import my heightmaps from DEM data, into photoshop, tidy it up a bit, then import it as a heightmap into 3DS Max 2009. I tidy it up a bit, subdivide it, smooth it, play with it visually, and then export it as a bitmap. I then import the bitmap into Visitor. I have 8gb of RAM, and I need ever bit of it, for the import/export into 3DS Max.

In Maya, I sculpt a surface, then render a 1024x1024 Zpass png from a top orthographic camera and import it into visitor. Quite painless. So many ways to do this with the commercial apps, really is no "wrong". smile_o.gif