Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

V-22 Osprey Tilt Rotor

Ive had no problems getting the AI to land as a support/transport craft in MP missions. Useing it for a rescue of a human F/A 18 pilot in water, with a human V-22 pilot works in MP. Skin for the UV-22 Army Variant whould

be nice. Thanks for the work gratz. Crash III_101st .

Oooooooh..... I'm glad you said that because I was using the invisible helipads.... I'll have to test it out without helipads to see if it lands safely consistently. If so...then I guess the solution is just to not use helipads and prepare for random landing zones.

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I have gotten the a.i to work almost perfectly, just put the waypoint in careless and make them land at a invisible heli H landingpad. Works in my mission. smile_o.gif

Gnat @ June 15 2008,12:28)]
Quite honestly however, without consistent ability by the AI to land it safely, this addon, while beautiful, is useless for single player missions and is, for the most part, an MP addon.

Sorry, I'm not seeing this ....... under what circumstances is this occuring !! ??

Quote[/b] ]it tries to land on a helipad it still has the rotors down so its always in full speed. It spun around the HPad for around 3 hours until gasoline went and it crashed.

Not seeing this either in several tests ! crazy_o.gif

@DragoFire

Nice reasearch ! Thanks.

Otherwise, comments noted ..... working on a retex'ed armed version wink_o.gif

This happened on a mission where I was flying from the airport in the South of Sahrani (the main air base) down over to the plains where those oil derricks are.   I tried at full speed and they kept crashing when landing so then I tried at low speed which helped alot but at times they kept going in circles for the rest of the mission (until shot down by MG fire).  I also put their behavior on "careless" as well as I was not sure if maybe it was an occasional MG bullet being fired at it that might have caused the odd behavior.   But that didn't seem to matter.    However removing the helipad and making sure to put the "unload transport" waypoint in a flat area seems to help alot.  So far it is landing each time now.  So it might just be all about where you have the Osprey landing.   Oh... I'm also using the SLX mod which may be using up more CPU processing power and thus reducing the AI ability of the pilot maybe.    I'll have to test it without the SLX mod to see if that helps as well.

Finally I'm also using two Ospreys landing at the same time, carrying a fairly large USMC assault force (I like big battles). So that might also have something to do with it.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Has anyone tried to fly at high speed? In a dive it goes completely bonkers over 530 kmh. was this intended? :P

Has anyone tried to fly at high speed? In a dive it goes completely bonkers over 530 kmh. was this intended? :P

WTF .... never got it that fast myself LOL ..... whatever is happening, nothing to do with my plan ! smile_o.gif

@Chris

Arh ... so the SLX mod makes them far too neurotic about the ground LOL !

Goes to show .... some mods dont mix.

.... currently getting a headache trying to get the gun axis to work correctly on a ramp that moves ..... oh well, if it was simple monkeys would be Mod'ers! biggrin_o.gif

Gnat @ June 15 2008,12:46)].... currently getting a headache trying to get the gun axis to work correctly on a ramp that moves ..... oh well, if it was simple monkeys would be Mod'ers! biggrin_o.gif

An easy fix for the ramp mounted gun is to simply don't make the ramp movable. Make it fixed as I myself don't see the need to have a movable ramp with a weapon mounted on it. If the weapon is mounted on it, then the ramp would be open for the men inside to use it.

this the best mod i have ever used , very useful fast drop off of troops, amazine work, i wish i could do that stuff.

20 troops almost you can bring the whole sever to battle! pistols.gif

Gnat @ June 15 2008,12:46)].... currently getting a headache trying to get the gun axis to work correctly on a ramp that moves ..... oh well, if it was simple monkeys would be Mod'ers! biggrin_o.gif

An easy fix for the ramp mounted gun is to simply don't make the ramp movable.  Make it fixed as I myself don't see the need to have a movable ramp with a weapon mounted on it.  If the weapon is mounted on it, then the ramp would be open for the men inside to use it.

Yeah I agree, a fixed ramp with a MG station is the way to go otherwise the gunner might look a bit wierd aiming at the roof of the aircraft and sitting or standing at an angle facing upwards. From what I've seen, the MG mount is on the rear ramp itself so as to have optimum coverage of the rear.

smile_o.gif

As the saying goes in the military- CYA (Cover Your Ass).

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD.

From what I've seen, the MG mount is on the rear ramp itself so as to have optimum coverage of the rear.

smile_o.gif

As the saying goes in the military- CYA (Cover Your Ass).

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD.

That it is. That's gotta be one of the most fun gunner positions. That's gotta be a great view. And when it's not the most fun of times, it's gotta be a unique experience.(In addition to the fact you get to fly in the damn thing to begin with. wow_o.gif )

A rear MG would do it for me. thumbs-up.gif

Saying? huh.gif That's a policy. wink_o.gif

An easy fix for the ramp mounted gun is to simply don't make the ramp movable.  Make it fixed as I myself don't see the need to have a movable ramp with a weapon mounted on it.  If the weapon is mounted on it, then the ramp would be open for the men inside to use it.

Yeah I agree, a fixed ramp with a MG station is the way to go otherwise the gunner might look a bit wierd aiming at the roof of the aircraft and sitting or standing at an angle facing upwards.  From what I've seen, the MG mount is on the rear ramp itself so as to have optimum coverage of the rear.  

smile_o.gif

As the saying goes in the military-  CYA (Cover Your Ass).

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD.

Yip from what I've seen it's @75% down the ramp allowing for full rear arc fire cover and a 15-20 degree coverage of both rear side arcs of cover. @ -105/+105 Degrees of horizon arc fire, and a good vertical cover of @ +25/-45 degrees.

These are rough fire arc angle from what I've seen of the placement of the gun and the dimensions of the V-22.

Hope that helps.

An easy fix for the ramp mounted gun is to simply don't make the ramp movable.  

You pussys give up way too early !

.... Nothing (well, very little) is Impossible

Isn't that the one with the gun has always the door open(fixed)? Maybe I'm confusing it with the CH-53.

Could you put a few more cargo spaces with soldiers holding the roof? However I don't know how real is that (probably 0%).

Gnat @ June 15 2008,22:50)]

Hey now! I'm not giving up...I ain't the one working on it smile_o.gif. Don't know how hard it is to do what you are trying.

Keep it up man, love this thing.

Gnat @ June 16 2008,15:50)]

Well!!

One solution would be to setup a few axis points to allow gun to be moved into a locked wall position and a script to move ramp gunner into rear cargo manager seat/point and disable ramp gun. Then have the reverse setup so when the ramp is in the down position the gunner/cargo manager can activate the ramp gun to go into position.

Key points required;

1/Ramp not able to close it gun is locked in position.

2/Gun can't be activated into ramp firing position if Ramp is not locked in down position.

3/Gun will not work if not locked into ramp firing position.

4/ Script to lock Cargo manager and ramp gunner positions as one position.

You get the general idea, it is possible, but will require a bit of work to get pivot points right and parts to move in the correct order, and scripts to work as required.

Gnat hope this helps you get to ball rolling. wink_o.gif

Just had another thought, you could almost use the same concept to add a dropable extraction rope ladder. By using multiple segments that unfold downwards you could give the Ramp-gunner/cargo manager the option to drop rope ladder while rear ramp is down and the V-22 is hovering. It's act like a fold-up ladder that most of us have at home, just a lot more segments.

But you'd need to put in a script to stop the from going over a certain speed say 2.5knots, otherwise if the rope ladder hits something it's bring down the V-22.

I leave you to think of the possiblities! wink_o.gif

Spectacular Gnat! Simply spectacular! I must say thank you very much. It is really nice to see addon makers to respond to the community. Keep up the amazing work!

Looks great. Would it better for the him to be standing or does he have to be in the sitting position?

Would it better for the him to be standing or does he have to be in the sitting position?

Nop, too high, cant see shyt and also reduced the attack arc

Position is somewhat close to the best it gets I afraid.

Gnat @ June 18 2008,02:18)]
Would it better for the him to be standing or does he have to be in the sitting position?

Nop, too high, cant see shyt and also reduced the attack arc

Position is somewhat close to the best it gets I afraid.

Did you try mounting the gun and gunner proxie to the angle of the ramp? It might fix the problem and also make it look better when the gunner is firing off to the sides (no standing/sit in mid-air), and when facing rear make it look like he's leaning over the gun a little. Just an little idea.

btw when gunner manned that back gun, ramp is in horizontal position, not fully lowered...

btw when gunner manned that back gun, ramp is in horizontal position, not fully lowered...

You sure I've seen photo's of it upto -7 degrees below hoz.

Or lower.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images...._lg.jpg

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/V-22-Osprey-A-Flying-Shame-04822/

BTW, I considered it to be placed on the right side like above but there were to many disadvantages to doing so (Gunner position with ramp in up position, arc of cover etc etc)

edit pic over 100k

You sure I've seen photo's of it upto -7 degrees below hoz.

It's never fully lowered for the gunner. -7 could be but it's more personal preference of the gunner. Most I've known prefer it cocked up slighlty from horizontal or even higher and then they can kneel against it, and the loader too. I don't think the MG is grounded to the cargo door for combat. They swing out from either side so the center of gravity is just inside or extending out just past the edge. This again is usually up to the gunner's preference.

I know they were mounted while testing but it was usually attached at the back edge or close to. In this situation as well it wasn't unusual for the bottom to be up more then horizontal. Horizontal in my opinion is foolish, there's just no need. The positioning of the bottom hatch doesn't really effect the gunners view, unless it's nearing fully shut.

The pictures, movies, etc from the inside give a terrible perception of what it's actually like for the gunner. It's really something you have to see to get an accurate assessment.

This is another reason why I'm so impressed with this addon. He's done an amazing job with the detail and overall feel with the limited info available regarding first hand experience with this beast. Every time I'm using this bird in game I'm amazed how accurately he's been able to replicate flight, landing, takeoff, mechanics.

Gnat,

Have you ever seen or flown in one? Or is this just done from available info, etc? Just curious. I know I've said this before but well done. After playing a bunch more I cant fly in anything else now. You really got a pretty damn accurate feel going in a video game that wasn't necessarily focused on flying. thumbs-up.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Edit:

Hold on??? Are you talking about being open while in air? Or on the ground, like the picture. Cause if you are talking about the hatch down like that in flight.... No way. I can't believe a gunner would want to do that in combat. Now cover on the ground? Yes, obviously.

That V-22-Osprey-A-Flying-Shame was a very interesting read. Read it a while ago.

I think the reason for positioning the gun mount to the side was to allow better access for troops in and out of the back of the V-22, as you know it's a very small opening. Yes it limits the fire-arc on the right-hand side of the V-22, but most pilots position the V-22 so the gunner has the best firing-arc towards the enemy.

This doesn't show a very good view point but you can get glimpses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EiR5so0w6w

http://military.discovery.com/video....5735991

They can be over center when you want since it swings out from the side. I'm not sure if a side mount is something ArmA could handle though.

Honestly what ever you decide to do is fine.