Sign in to follow this  
UNN

P3D Inheritance

Would it be handy if you could inherit from other p3d's? For example, you could inherit from an existing p3d just to override the texture paths.

It would indeed be nice to call one p3d model and be able to just change the texture in the config...

Multiple skins of the same models would be so much better and lighter that way...

Yes, why not. Are there any potential problems with that.

If your texture wrap is get reasonable, ie one/two textures tops, you can do that now via hiddenSelections. Not sure that it would still work with rvmat's, but it's worth a try.

With Hidden selection, you need to duplicate the geometry inside your p3d files, right ?

What would be the benefit of having 3 versions of the geometry in the same p3d, regarding, say, having 3 separate p3d each with it's own camo ? Wouldn't that be even worse performance-wise ?

With Hidden selection, you need to duplicate the geometry inside your p3d files, right ?

What makes you think that? The geometry can be the same for any and all different versions of the same object that has only been retextured.

I'm not really familiar with hidden selections, but I thought you were suggesting to duplicate the model entirely, give each instance of the model its own texture, and just "hide" the instances you do not want to see... Does it make sense ?

How would you do it ?

Maybe that's what they are talking about : Fab's setObjectTexture tutorial

An application for a model that had only 1 textures could allow to have retexture of it without having to issue another model.

But setObjectTexture had a lot of problem with save/load/unit in cargo/etc... in OFP.

A hidden selection is a part of a model that is not normally visible, but you can apply any texture you want to it in game. It does not mean that there are multiple instances of the same model, just that a certain texture is interchangable.

That was really the original purpose, but with ArmA you can also change textures on "hiddenSelections" using "hiddenSelectionsTextures".

Maybe that's what they are talking about : Fab's setObjectTexture tutorial

An application for a model that had only 1 textures could allow to have retexture of it without having to issue another model.

But setObjectTexture had a lot of problem with save/load/unit in cargo/etc... in OFP.

Well that's at runtime, but in the configs...

That was really the original purpose, but with ArmA you can also change textures on "hiddenSelections" using "hiddenSelectionsTextures".

There you have it. Make your 'skin' selection, and identify it in hiddenSelections[]. Then set your default texture(s) (must match array order of hiddenSelections[] ) in hiddenSelectionsTextures[]. 1 p3d, n skins.

What would be the benefit of having 3 versions of the geometry in the same p3d, regarding, say, having 3 separate p3d each with it's own camo ? Wouldn't that be even worse performance-wise ?

All I can say to that is "The horror..."

Damn, I just learned something today... I guess I didn't quite understand the role of hidden selections... I thought it would make the whole geometry disappear...

Quote[/b] ]But setObjectTexture had a lot of problem with save/load/unit in cargo/etc... in OFP.

I heard something along those lines myself. But textures was just an example, weapon proxies are another. Along with  open and closed top vehicle variations e.t.c

Proxies go some way to sharing common object meshes, but they still seem to have a lot of problems.