Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.14

Usually, mouse lag means your settings are set too high and you're suffering low FPS issues.

Not sure it's a bug per se, I consider this as the indication I have bad FPS and should take appropriate action wink_o.gif

Usually, mouse lag means your settings are set too high and you're suffering low FPS issues.

Not sure it's a bug per se, I consider this as the indication I have bad FPS and should take appropriate action wink_o.gif

In other games you won't get mouse lag even if it's like 30 fps, but in arma you do, so it is a bug. A bug that ruins otherwise nice game.

I don't get mouse lag at 30FPS.

From what I've witnessed, you begin to get it when your framerate will drop to unnacceptable levels anyway.

You can typically have an average of 30FPS and seeing it drop a great deal near specific bushes and trees, experiencing mouse lag.

Mouse lag is only 1 indicator that you have too low FPS anyway, imho. If it was "corrected", you would run into other issues that would break the game for you (textures loading, IA issues, etc...)

I don't get mouse lag at 30FPS.

From what I've witnessed, you begin to get it when your framerate will drop to unnacceptable levels anyway.

You can typically have an average of 30FPS and seeing it drop a great deal near specific bushes and trees, experiencing mouse lag.

Mouse lag is only 1 indicator that you have too low FPS anyway, imho. If it was "corrected", you would run into other issues that would break the game for you (textures loading, IA issues, etc...)

No. I can have otherwise smooth gameplay but the mouse will lag. This is a bug which should be fixed. The framerate is certainly in more than playable level, but the mouse lag just ruins it.

At least one patch is needed yet.There is no register plates on any vehicle,talk about free country!Of course they should be random.

Nothing I've seen , and from what I've read so far, the mouse lag was FPS induced the majority of time (I don't question your personnal case).

That makes me wonder about the status of "bug #1 of ArmA"

If you ask me, the current state of the animations is far more important to consider as gamebreaker. Or textures loading on some configurations.

Honestly, I was like you before, until I considered this thing to be "normal" and used it as a measuring scale for my graphical settings : I set up a AI heavy mission, in the middle of dense forest, I run it, and tweak my settings until I don't get anymore mouse lag. From this point, I consider my settings to be FPS friendly, and I don't experience vast FPS drop or even any mouse lag at all, under any condition. Whereas before, I was trying to find a compromise between performance and graphics, thinking "I'll adjust for average FPS and accept some FPS hit", leading to inevitable mouse lag (appearing before FPS drop is too noticable).

So I found a way around that.

I can't find anything to counter sloppy animations, though sad_o.gif

Nothing I've seen , and from what I've read so far, the mouse lag was FPS induced the majority of time (I don't question your personnal case).

That makes me wonder about the status of "bug #1 of ArmA"

If you ask me, the current state of the animations is far more important to consider as gamebreaker. Or textures loading on some configurations.

Honestly, I was like you before, until I considered this thing to be "normal" and used it as a measuring scale for my graphical settings : I set up a AI heavy mission, in the middle of dense forest, I run it, and tweak my settings until I don't get anymore mouse lag. From this point, I consider my settings to be FPS friendly, and I don't experience vast FPS drop or even any mouse lag at all, under any condition. Whereas before, I was trying to find a compromise between performance and graphics, thinking "I'll adjust for average FPS and accept some FPS hit", leading to inevitable mouse lag (appearing before FPS drop is too noticable).

So I found a way around that.

I can't find anything to counter sloppy animations, though sad_o.gif

Let's just face it - it is an unacceptable bug. I could easily enjoy the highest settings in ArmA and still maintain a smooth FPS, but the mouse lag totally kills the gameplay. If I quickly move the mouse a small distance and stop, the character will start turning when I have already stopped the mouse.

It's like a 1000ms additional delay, unless you've got fps 100'ish constant, while in other games you can have a fairly low fps and still maintain a good gameplay.

Try this whisper wink_o.gif

PROPER_Anims_Fast_Forward_Transition

While it looks strange and feels almost to fluent, it is very

enjoyable to use run instead of sprint yet with the same speed.

Release thread and comments

Source thread

At least based on that experience it is only about the way

the sprint anims (length) and its transitions are configured.

It is not possible to interrupt anims and have a more dynamic

system in A1 though.

@Lepardi

All my experience tells me the same as Whisper said.

ArmA 1.14 is the same level as OFP in terms of mouse

movement, which means it is quite good. Still room for perfection

yet it is quite good.

You need good FPS though (> 20 I'd say) though.

I think your problem lies elsewhere. Maybe record a video so

that it is possible to diagnose your problem better.

At least one patch is needed yet.There is no register plates on any vehicle,talk about free country!Of course they should be random.

That's a major bug and needs a patch or better hotfix immediately, no doubt.  icon_rolleyes.gif

@Lepardi

I don't have any noticeable mouselag, nowhere on Sahrani and I have a crappy system with outdated components.

I don't have any noticeable mouselag, nowhere on Sahrani and I have a crappy system with outdated components.

Me neither  smile_o.gif

Strange as to why some ppl do?

@Lepardi

All my experience tells me the same as Whisper said.

ArmA 1.14 is the same level as OFP in terms of mouse

movement, which means it is quite good. Still room for perfection

yet it is quite good.

You need good FPS though (> 20 I'd say) though.

I think your problem lies elsewhere. Maybe record a video so

that it is possible to diagnose your problem better.

I just did some tests. In the southern sahrani deserts I have FPS easily above 100, but when entering the northern sahrani environment and fps starts going below 90 you can clearly feel some lag. It's good, very playable still.

But when you hit the 60 mark in the forests it starts getting noticeably bad, and when under 40 it's really bad, and at minimum, 30fps, it's not worth playing anymore.

I have 20fps in dense forests (if I'm lucky) and like said no noticable mouse lag. 60fps or 100fps is something I'm dreaming about. huh.gif

I have a real wish to BIS.

After working with South Sahrani and realizing what boost it gave to performance I´d kindly ask if it could be possible to release a standalone for North Sahrani aswell. I´m pretty much convinced that it would also raise performance on this section of the island for almost all of us if we had a standalone version of that section.

Are there thoughts going into that direction, is such planned or is this a thing for an island-creator ?

The reason why I ask for this here is that I think a unified approach as with South Sahrani would be much better than a custom island done by modder xyz that has to be downloaded to be able to play missions created for and on it.

I´m more a fan of combat in the woods so a standalone North Sahrani would come very handy for the campaign-project that is still/again in my pocket. Performance on north sahrani as it is now is hitting systems very hard and if you got a serious amount of troops doing their stuff there you will find the limit pretty soon. Now if it was a standalone island it could be possible to raise performance alot (in combination with Kegetys lowplants even more) and enable us to do some bigger missions there.

I guess right now most of the editing initiatives concentrate on the south for a good reason, the good performance of South Sahrani. Please give us a chance to have the same with the north or maybe a community conversion could make it into a public patch to keep it unified.

Any comments ?

Hi!

I know, there was enough written about these things, but I like to emphasize something, which spoil the gameplay in ARMA very often:

I can't sum up, how often I was shot down by Tank crews or Soldiers, using the AK 74 SU. Sure, there might be some lucky strikes, but been shot by a heavily wounded from a 700 to 800 m distance so often, it is very unrealistic. By contrast, when using a sniper-rifle by myself in prone position, I really need some luck to hit the enemy! (If they spot me, again I get killed by a AK 74 SU). mad_o.gif

Additionally, the deactivated savegame-feature let you often start from the very beginning of a mission. For myself, I will downgrade ARMA to a version btw. 1.08 or 1.11, which seems a better solution to get rid of some bugs came with 1.14. huh.gif

BIS should debug the actual ARMA-Version before releasing its successor. (In general, it is a nice game, but there are a few odd things which have to be corrected). So let us wait for the next patch??? I hope so!

Savegame feature?

For AI accuracy - go to your XXX.ArmAProfile and edit this line

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> precisionEnemy=0.600000;

For AI accuracy - go to your XXX.ArmAProfile and edit this line

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> precisionEnemy=0.600000;

<span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'>BI, FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS, PLEASE MAKE THIS AN OPTION IN THE DIFFICULTY MENU AND LOWER IT BY DEFAULT IN ALL YOUR NEXT GAMES/PATCHES AND HIGHER THE AI SKILL SETTINGS.</span>

Thank you.

Or even better, give each unit a menu bar underneath "skill" in the editor for mission makers to choose. That way we can decide who's a deadeye, who's never picked up a gun before, and everything in between.

And maybe get rid of "skill" all together and just have one bar for accuracy and one for rate of fire.

So that unskilled AI will spray everywhere on full auto and elite professional AI will take precise, considered shots.

But then you can also have units that will shoot like mad fairly accurately, and units that may take their time but still can't hit shit. smile_o.gif

Daniel @ July 09 2008,16:41)]Or even better, give each unit a menu bar underneath "skill" in the editor for mission makers to choose. That way we can decide who's a deadeye, who's never picked up a gun before, and everything in between.

And maybe get rid of "skill" all together and just have one bar for accuracy and one for rate of fire.

So that unskilled AI will spray everywhere on full auto and elite professional AI will take precise, considered shots.

But then you can also have units that will shoot like mad fairly accurately, and units that may take their time but still can't hit shit.  smile_o.gif

Also a nice idea, as long as the default precision setting is lowered to somewhere between 0.500000 and 0.600000, while the AI skill should be somewhere between 0.700000 and 0.800000.

Seriously, better default settings would have 'fixed' most of the complaints about the AI. confused_o.gif

I always find it kind of funny that the tank crew are better trained at shooting than regs or spec ops...

Again... you can't please everyone

I kinda like the AI skill the way it is

Seriously, better default settings would have 'fixed' most of the complaints about the AI. confused_o.gif

Yep, lowering the precision skill to something from 0.3 to 0.5 is very nice for faking suppresion fire, enlongating firefights and just general atmosphere. Suddenly ammo becomes a concern on something longer than a stroll.

Then you just wish you had a backpack, you wonder why the Stryker has so little ammo, why the humvees don't have more, etc etc.

after playing some mp for a couple of hours every second or third day during my summer holiday i noticed its a lot more fun to play arma now when it doesn't crash and stuff as it did before, just bad thing is im at my parents house and their net connection breaks down when somebody uses the phone tounge2.gif

And it much i can do about it :P

Daniel @ July 09 2008,16:41)]Or even better, give each unit a menu bar underneath "skill" in the editor for mission makers to choose. That way we can decide who's a deadeye, who's never picked up a gun before, and everything in between.

But then you can also have units that will shoot like mad fairly accurately, and units that may take their time but still can't hit shit. smile_o.gif

this is something i really agree with! smile_o.gif

But then you can also have units that will shoot like mad fairly accurately, and units that may take their time but still can't hit shit.  smile_o.gif

this is something i really agree with!  smile_o.gif

But not something that BIS agree with sad_o.gif

Su34 is a bomber (fighter/bomber), but in ArmA Su34s for unknown reason have no bombs biggrin_o.gif