Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Map WIP: Savine Vode

Thanks for answer. Could we also see some screenshots with lower viewdistances (i.e. playable viewdistances - up to 3km). I'd like to see how the map would look in real game. Would the mountains be visible from the plain?

Anyway, I can't wait to try it in game.

Thanks for answer. Could we also see some screenshots with lower viewdistances (i.e. playable viewdistances - up to 3km). I'd like to see how the map would look in real game. Would the mountains be visible from the plain?

Anyway, I can't wait to try it in game.

The video linked in post #1 shows the map with a more commonly used viewdistance, about 2.5km. I reckon best results will be between 3 - 5 km.

The very first picture of the forest looks... real notworthy.gif

Very nice island, I love the mountains. They do look good ingame. How is the AI reacting to steep slopes and roads in mountains ?

That's one damn fine job DM !

Malick

I've tried a few gun battles on the slopes, the AI generally cope pretty well. There is some amount of weirdness in their prone positions sometimes, but apart from that no real problems.

The AI use the roads pretty well, apart from the long windy road that snakes up the mountain that you can see in some shots. The AI really like to take shortcuts between tightly packed contours, but I think when the trees are planted in those areas the AI will tend to stick to the road more faithfully.

All I can say about those new set of screen shots is:

"How North Sahrani Should Have Been"

Much like Schmalfelden, this will be a unique keeper without question.

Outstanding work, DMarkwick! Got to ask how the FPS are holding up and what's your object count? Looks enourmous.

(wonder if Durg will release those trees to the public...?)

FPS are OK actually, although it has to be said that the current amount of vegetation mass is not nearly at it's eventual level. The density of the forests (both mountain & plain) will be the FPS control sink I think, if the FPS are OK after plantation I can thicken it up, if FPS is poor I can thin it out.

Use of bigger vegetation than real life for forests is one way I can keep a lid on FPS, but for the urban veg I'm trying to use as close as possible the same sized veg. Object clutter around urban settlements will be another pain, but I'm leaving that 'till last.

The trees I made will be specific to Savine Vode via addon, but once released I expect people can use them as they wish, I won't have any objection smile_o.gif but a little bird tells me you might not need it wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]the current amount of vegetation mass is not nearly at it's eventual level. The density of the forests (both mountain & plain) will be the FPS control sink I think, if the FPS are OK after plantation I can thicken it up, if FPS is poor I can thin it out.

Yeah, easier to add trees than to thin out.

Quote[/b] ]Use of bigger vegetation than real life for forests is one way I can keep a lid on FPS, but for the urban veg I'm trying to use as close as possible the same sized veg. Object clutter around urban settlements will be another pain, but I'm leaving that 'till last.

I did the same on the Schmalfelden forest redoe, using trees set 100-150%. but more reasonable around the towns. Adding the objects around the built up areas is what brings life to a map, but unfortunately it does cause a hit on the system.

It certainly does look terrific. Hang in there, it's a lot of work!

Quote[/b] ]he trees I made will be specific to Savine Vode via addon, but once released I expect people can use them as they wish, I won't have any objection. but a little bird tells me you might not need it

That would be sweet!

There will be a beta, but not until there's substantially more content. Something that will give more useful feedback for performance in dense areas.

DMarkwick: your inbox is full and you cannot accept any more PMs wink_o.gif made any progress on the map?

Heh don't worry I haven't forgotten wink_o.gif

I was ill for a couple of weeks so slower going than usual, I don't get that much time to begin with. Plus I'd like to release the new DMSmokeEffects as well, nearly done there too.

Woohooowwwww great great super amaaaazinng cant wait for it! It looks like real life!

Damn that looks nice! inlove.gif

Love the Autumn looking areas! xmas_o.gif