Sign in to follow this  
Karaya1

Anti-Aircraft BRDM-2 & Stryker

Anybody know what the classnames are for each of these vehicles? Cant see anything in the readme...

From the config:

SAMVehicles:

"BMP-2 AA" = BMP2AA

"BRDM-2 AA" = BRDM2_AA

"Stryker AA" = Stryker_Stinger

XtraVehicles:

"A-10 (GBU-12)" = A10gbu12

"Ka-50 (HEAT)" = KA50HEAT

"AV-8B (Maverick)" = AV8BMAV

"BMP-2 AA" = BMP2AA

"BRDM-2 AA" = BRDM2_AA

"Stryker AA" = Stryker_Stinger

Releasing a new version today

The addon has turned into more than just a simple SAM addon, read the following changelog for more details!

Quote[/b] ]CHANGES IN 1.5

- There is only the XtraVehicle addon left which contains the SAMs plus extra air units

- changed a few class entries to be more in line with the rest of the vehicles (thanks to zGuba)

- Changed a few threat entries among the new extra vehicles as well as some of the stock units to more reasonable values

- Changed a few unguided rockets so helicopters will use them in air combat!

- Changed a parameter so all so equipped helicopters will use their rocket pods to make strafing runs on infantry

- Changed a parameter so all helicopters/jets will now get fired upon by infantry/APCs/tanks (was an issue for example with the Ka50! )

VEHICLE CLASSES OF NEW AIR/GROUND UNITS:

KA50HEAT - Ka50 with high-explosive anti-tank instead of fragmentation rockets

A10GBU12 - A10 with 5 laser guided GBU-12 500lb bombs

AV8BMAV - AV8B with 6 infra-red guided AGM-65G missiles

BMP2_AA - BMP2 with a Strela launcher in place of the AT-5

BRDM2_AA - BRDM2 with a Strela launcher in place of the AT-5

Stryker_AA - Stryker with a Stinger launcher in place of the TOW

Try it out and tell me how you like some of the new changes

Download link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/113057626/Xtra_Vehicles_v15.rar.html

Hey, are the planes supposed to engage other aircraft with unguided rockets aswell as the choppers? They seem to use these rather than the AA missiles.

Well its a global change to the unguided rockets you can find on the helis/jets in Arma (Hydra70, S-5 57mm, S-8 80mm, S-8T 80mm), havent seen such behaviour as you have described yet, will have a look at it however. Thanks for pointing out!

The problem with having everyone open up on helos is that ArmA A.I. leads its targets PERFECTLY, as far as I can tell, with only dispersion to make up for this digitally super-human ability. Even if dispersion is wide as can be, if you're maintaining the same vector, the A.I. will have dialed in on you within how many cycles of the CPU, so you will ALWAYS be within the center of the dispersion pattern, where the likelihood of getting hit is the highest (assuming a bell curve of probability).

The way to combat this is (assuming there won't be a change to the A.I.'s super-human ability to calculate necessary lead on a moving target) to enforce realistic turret traverse rates and slew speeds and make sure that turrets and guns are not able to exceed their real-world ranges of motions (in degrees).

Additionally, there needs to be scripting to separate the traverse rate from the slew speed (if I am getting my terms right). In many tanks there is the rough turning of the turret in a direction, then a switch is flicked that enables finer adjustment for aiming. In-game turrets need to enforce this transition time. The rough (faster) turning of the turret should not be used for the fine adjustment of aiming.

However, in ArmA it is clear that fine adjustments are made by moving the mouse less, with a hopefully maximum turret traverse rate for rough adjustment.

To illustrate how damaging this can be to gameplay, think of turrets that swing towards their target in the blink of an eye (in fact, Ghost Recon's armored vehicles seemed to have turrets like this, if I remember correctly). You're sneaking up to the back of a tank to plant a satchel charge on it and the commander gets a radio message of your location. He instructs the gunner to turn EXACTLY to your location, this occurring in a split-second. All of sudden you're looking down the barrel of a main cannon and the next you're not.

In Call of Duty 4 it gets especially ridiculous when the nose cannons on attack helicopters are able to fire 3 successive rounds at 3 different targets in 3 different directions. Can we get some "turret traverse rate" on those nose cannons, please?

The way vehicle turrets and target-leading AI are working in ArmA is allowing these vehicles with very limited AA capability to perfectly track moving aircraft.

Sorry, but a commander on a M2 .50 is going to have a little trouble dialing in the correct elevation and lead on a moving helicopter. In fact, U.S. Army soldiers were instructed to lead moving aircraft in terms of football fields (difficult to judge at varying distances).

About the delay between shots: Thats absolutely no problem, I admit the BRDM-2 is firing like a madman once he has aquired a target pistols.gif

Right now the reloading time for a missile within a magazine is 1 sec...

I've got v1.5. The BRDM AA magazine change.. how long is it? I got bored of waiting after 10 secs or so. If I jumped out of the vehicle and got back in, it changed to the next magazine.