Sign in to follow this  
dr_eyeball

Devastation: mission pack

I really like this mission pack and the tactical and dynamic PvP senarios it offers. icon14.gificon14.gif

I appreciate the well thought out effort that the content of these missions display.

Please be open to the concept of 'spawning on the squad leader' as I believe the scope of the game is large and the ability for friends to jump in a game and play side by side as quickly as possible should be encouraged.

A toggled option to be turned on/off at the server admins decision could encourage more groups of people to play this mission pack.

Please continue to be creative!   notworthy.gif

The M119 is pretty much useless if chopper airlifts aren't available

e.g. on map LvL_M_Obregan.

Or do i just miss any alternative of transport ?

-Ziggy- @ May 20 2008,14:31)]I really like this mission pack and the tactical and dynamic PvP senarios it offers. icon14.gificon14.gif

I appreciate the well thought out effort that the content of these missions display.

Please be open to the concept of 'spawning on the squad leader' as I believe the scope of the game is large and the ability for friends to jump in a game and play side by side as quickly as possible should be encouraged.

A toggled option to be turned on/off at the server admins decision could encourage more groups of people to play this mission pack.

Please continue to be creative! notworthy.gif

I would just like to add could you possibly have spawn on leader as an option as well. Sometimes Arma can feel a bit empty and this would help.

-Ziggy- @ May 20 2008,14:31)]Please be open to the concept of 'spawning on the squad leader' as I believe the scope of the game is large and the ability for friends to jump in a game and play side by side as quickly as possible should be encouraged.

IMHO there are sufficient options to spawn at the frontline using MRVs or bunkers.

I am more interested in grouping together and playing this game by a friends side, then by 'spawning at the frontlines'.

my point is directed more to enhance teamwork than to improve gameplay.   thumbs-up.gif

Version 1.2 is about to be released in about a day. Here is a preview of a couple of the upcoming features. It's easier doing this now than at release time.

The focus this time around is mainly new features but also tweaking and the nasty "score HUD" problem.

Some new missions are in the works, but they will not make it into this release. Will probably see them in about another 1 week. Trying it out with different terrain/island mods too as a mod-dependent mission pack variation.

What's new?

Boomerang counter-sniper system (CSS)

Except for artillery, almost all heavy weapons/vehicles have a counter-measure systems (eg: AA, AT) except for snipers, until now.

Using the Boomerang CSS, you can roughly determine their location, if you deploy a CSS device and track the activity on it.

• A CSS device can be deployed from any jeep or truck (lightly armoured vehicles only). The device is represented as a Radio (RT-254) instead of proper detection microphones.
  • To view the CSS console, you can view it's console directly, or use a remote console in any jeep or truck.
  • Each CSS device tracks it's nearest detected activity local to it's position, so you need to know which console you're viewing if remotely accessed, which is indicated via the 'Device: AZ DS' position text of the console.
  • In future, a vehicle mounted CSS device will be considered, but a deployable device seemed more appropriate for these missions plus the vehicles have remote consoles anyway.

th_CSS1.jpgth_CSS2.jpg

Boomerang CSS device & console - image 1

Boomerang CSS remote vehicle console - image 2

New airlifting HUD & tweaks:

A lot players were having trouble using airlifting and attaching the cargo, plus it was quite tricky in veteran mode without the benefit of 3rd person view, so now all heavy lifting choppers will have the benefit of the airlifting HUD to assist them.

• The main icon left of the HUD tells you your status of: Extending, Position, Too high, Connect, Connected, Lifting, Threshold, Broken, Disconnecting, Retracting.
  • The right side indicator shows the choppers height, cable latch height and cargo height.
  • The centre cargo icon is a white circle while positioning, then a green diamond when ready to connect and then a blue diamond once connected.
  • Top left shows the threshold indicator as a percentage.
  • Bottom middle shows the cargo type, so you know which object you are picking up.

th_AirliftHUD1.jpg

Airlifting HUD - image 1

Airlifting HUD - image 2

New personal waypoint (WP) HUD icon

Very small and simple concept which is basically identical to the group waypoint HUD icon, but this WP icon is specific to your chosen personal WP.

• It is located near the top of your screen indicating it's bearing and showing the distance.
  • It does not move from the top of the screen, only sideways, unlike a normal WP HUD which blocks your view.
  • This is primarily used for travel inside vehicles and aircraft, (but is currently still available for infantry for now).
  • The HUD graphics & functionality will eventually be expanded to be tied in with squad orders, airlifting, pick-up requests, transport, etc.

th_WPHUD1.jpg

Personal WP HUD - image

New HMD (helmet mounted display) helicopter HUD

A HMD helicopter HUD has been added purely for the sake of immersiveness, plus many heavy duty real-life choppers have HUD's of various sorts, so this should fill the gap for now. It's accessed via the action menu.

Functionality:

• Stall warning - indicator and sound
  • Ground collision - indicator and sound (fast landing descent)
  • Artificial horizon and pitch
  • Pitch value
  • Bank value
  • Forward velocity (Vel)
  • Vertical velocity (VV) indicator (VVI)
  • Horizontal velocity (HV)
  • Altitude indicator (Alt)
  • Effective momentum/velocity direction (small moving circle in middle - moves up/down/left/right)

th_HeliHUD2.jpg

HMD Heli HUD - image 1

HMD Heli HUD - image 2

Main balancing tweaks:

• Fixed the score HUD losing the last line containing the current zone capture time, which was due to word wrapping when scores reach over 1000. Removed old score HUD.
  • Armaments bunker now has roughly double the number of specialty weapons. (Read 1/6 as "1 in 6 players have access to".)
    Was: 1/6 grenadier, 1/6 MG, 1/12 sniper, 1/6 SF, 1/6 light AT, 1/12 heavy AT, 1/6 AA
    Now: 2/6 grenadier, 2/6 MG, 1/06 sniper, 3/6 SF, 2/8 light AT, 1/06 heavy AT, 1/6 AA - (edited values)
  • Enabled crew-checks for choppers and armoured vehicles. This is dynamically activated once your team size reaches 9.
  • Allowed bunkers to be deployed by a single player. This is dynamically changed to 2 players once your team size reaches 9.
  • Added new Warfare AT & AA tripods as deployable assets.
  • Using new Warfare markers. So if you have deleted the warfare.pbo from addons, you will still need to utilise it's icons as a usable mod.
  • Respawning in a Mobile Respawn Vehicle (MRV) now detects if your vehicle is stolen or is being airlifted (if allowed).
  • Where applicable, replacing standard M113/BMP-2 ambulances (used as MRV's) with Warfare HQ variants.
  • Replaced tall deployable MG tripods with mini-tripods variants to allow 360 degree rotation (rather than 180 degree).
  • All spotting, orders and requests now include the nearest zone with the worded voices to help you determine the relevance of the call.
  • Airdropping non-animated objects (eg: crates) now shows a substitute 'WarfareBCrate' box under parachute (instead of nothing), so that object landing position is now accurate.

Edited by Dr_Eyeball
reformat

Very amazing work Dr_Eyeball! notworthy.gif

So far I was only able to test it myself in the editor.

Do the Aussie server run the map at given days or anyone else

you aware of?

Cheers smile_o.gif

Devastation mission pack version 1.2 has been released.

See first post for download links.

See previous post for detailed changes.

Summary of those changes:

• Boomerang counter-sniper system
  • New airlifting HUD
  • New personal WP HUD
  • New HMD helicopter HUD
  • Balancing tweaks & fixes

In addition to items in the previous post, the following changes were made:

• Fixed - Armaments return kit bug after dying. Thanks Pogoman for suspecting a problem there.
  • Added - 4 new logistical bonus points (see below)
  • Changed - On the small 24 player missions, the zone capture times have increased from 30/45s to 45/60s.
  • Changed - Removed Toggle Score HUD from actions and left it in popup menu configuration instead.

Logistical bonus points

Quite often, these players never fire any shots and appear to be doing nothing on scoreboard.

Added 4 new logistical bonuses for:

• airlifting,
  • transporting players,
  • travelling in groups &
  • deploying bunker - all nearby players.

Notes:

• Currently 1 point per 1 km for airlifting and 1 point per 2 km for transport.
  • No benefits for transporting AI and no benefits for travelling alone (except for airlifting).
  • Distance is measured point to point, not distance travelled.
  • There is no deploy bunker bonus if you are not near the bunker once it is completed construction.

These changes did not make it into this release:

* Enabled crew-checks for choppers and armoured vehicles. This is dynamically activated once your team size reaches 9.

* Replaced standard M113/BMP-2 ambulances (used as MRV's) with Warfare HQ variants.

I was not able to add the 2 items above, mentioned in previous post.

- Crew-checks will be delayed until another version.

- The MHQ vehicles proved to be unsuitable replacements unfortunately, since they have no crew space.

The future:

This version basically finished the 'new features' stage.

The next version will be a 'new missions' release containing:

- more missions

- a new islands/terrain addons dependant mission pack

- the original missions will be reworked, tweaked & balanced

@Q: response

We don't run it on any particular night yet. Warfare is getting all of the server time lately, so about one to two times a week currently, sometimes for 7 hours or so. Never had more than about 22 players so far, so missing out on the big missions, which are better. Setting up another server to cater for this situation. A few other servers run it but they don't yet get the minimum required players afaict since this is pure PvP (without AI). It seems to be too complicated for some players who think brute force is the only way to win.

Edited by Dr_Eyeball
reformat

Thanks smile_o.gif

Mission pack updated on my server.

Unfortunately, not the most played missions by a long hand (well, server isn't much used, tbh smile_o.gif )

Now this does look good,can't believe i've not seen this before!  biggrin_o.gif

Map pack uploaded to our |19th| Public Server  smile_o.gif

From server's logfile :

Quote[/b] ]MPMissions\devastation12_town_24_dolores.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_ava_70_gatunas.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_savl_70_hunapu.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_town_24_corazol.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_ava_48_sierra.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_savl_48_pita.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_lvl_48_eponia.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_town_24_bagango.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_town_24_virgo.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_lvl_48_obregan.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_town_24_paraiso.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_ava_56_pacamac.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_savl_56_victoria.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_savl_56_cayo.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

MPMissions\devastation12_lvl_48_mataredo.sara: string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable

Perhaps some missing entries in stringtable.csv, or something smile_o.gif

EDIT : probably missing a possible language ? Anyway, nothing really serious

Great news, thank you.

Server updated.

Logistical bonus points

Quite often, these players never fire any shots and appear to be doing nothing on scoreboard.

NetStats=0; nener.gif

Scores doesn't matter if your team wins wink_o.gif

Had a good blast on it tonight on our |19th| server!

All in all great fun!

Especially the Paraiso 24 player,would be amazing if all 24 slots were full!  pistols.gif

Quick comment:

In the ICE popup menu, it says "press backspace to close"

When pressing backspace, you bring up the arma command menu by default.

From what I can tell from displayeventhandlers, if you return 'true' inside the handler code it overrides the default arma key behavior. (this works for display 46, the main display, not sure about dialogs).

So if you do this, you might be able to prevent opening of the command menu (and forcing players to close it again) when they close the popup menu.

Learned that trick from Spooner's status display.

Very nice missions... though I've only tried them in the editor. Need to find them on a server. smile_o.gif

sooo eyeball, whens the next update? :P

still need a fix for the kit limiting bug  icon_rolleyes.gif

BEZERK SUCKS!

Played this last night in a 10vs10 on OGN and it was very impressive to say the least.  Really streamlined interface, no bugs or script errors came up, and there was something in it for everyone I felt:

- be you a SpecOps trying to destroy and enemy bunker

- base builder setting-up defensible spawn points for your team

- sniper overwatch on capture-points

- regular infantry with some nice CQB

I also think the ICE system has been really well integrated.  The personal waypoint is a nice touch to say the least and I found designating a sniper with a map-click very easy to do once I figured it out initially.

The weapon restrictions were a nice touch as well, it really promoted teamplay.  For instance a APC crossed our paths whislt trying to take a CP and everyone started asking around who had AT = more cohesion within the team.

I really would like to see more of this played on the server!

I thought I might mention a couple of things I'd like to see though:

1) A more thorough in-game manual AND/OR PDF version

I found most stuff through trial-and-error.  This may scare a lot of people off in the initial stages of getting people into the game.  I think it best to flesh out the Notes section with brief bullet points on how to use stuff, supplemented by a downloadable PDF with instructive images for people who want a more detailed instruction.

2) 3MB a bit hefty a dowload.

I don't mind, hell my CTI back in the day were getting to 5MB mode.  maybe you can cut this down a bit?  Are you sourcing the images for the 'Armaments' dialog from the BIS addons directly or coupling them with the map as JPEGs?  Otherwise I don't see why the file would be so map file size would be so large unless you have more scripts in there then initially obvious.

3) More precise placement of stationary assets e.g. AT, MG, bunkers

I really like the progressive building of the bunkers.  It thought that was great and adds another layer of tactics to bunker building c.f. just spawning a building.  However at the moment the buker and other stationary assests such as the snadbags and MGs are just placed behind the ammo truck/vehicle.  Taking page out of the crCTI/Warfare book with a 'preview then place' method would allow for more useful and effective forward base building.

e.g. I built sandbags near the bunker but couldn't place the the MG accurately behind them.  In addition the MG/AT were not facing the direction I wanted either.

4) Infantry operated artillery.

I know I've said this before but I'd really like to see some of this in game

Perhaps: http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=news&id=1172 ?

5) Smaller infantry focussed maps.

I know AAS is made for larger groups of players but you gotta start small to get the crowds going.  Even Project Reality for BF2 did this in addition to large maps.  Just strip out a lot of the vehicles and make the CP closer together and more urban.  Dolores is great for this!

6) Restrict silenced weapons and satchels to the SpecOps

Like the scenario I described above with the AT and the APC encounter, this creates a requirement for this class and promotes more team cohesion in my opinion. Just a thought though.

Keep up the good work Eyeball!

Agreed, this map on a much smaller scale would be great. When I put this on our server, i find it hard to fill it up. Although I believe ArmA is the engine Project Reality was meant to be.

Devastation version 1.3 has been released.

See first post for download links and known problems.

Only 2 new features this time around - artillery & laser designator spotting. Other features are still WIP.

Fairly small release. It was released primarily to fix the 2 main bugs listed below (much delayed hotfix) and add some new missions.

Major Bug fixes:

• Fixed a new introduced JIP bug from last version. (If a bunker was deployed and you joined via JIP, then there was a script error and no actions (Armaments menu) were available on the bunker.)
  • Attempted to fix an odd bug of being able to capture zones out of sequence without the required earlier zones. Could not reproduce, AAS code looked fine except missing private variables in functions & added stricter capture rules.

Minor changes:

• Base safe zones now detect and prevent camping kills & vehicle destruction too, not just presence in the safe zone.
  • Deleted zone marker flash during capture. That should reduce network congestion.
  • Prevent deployment at bunker before fully constructed.
  • Improved popup menu closure via backspace key to prevent command menu opening.
  • Hopefully fixed server log warning: "string @STR_TITLE cannot be localized client-side - move to global stringtable". Removed the '@' symbol with localize command. Thanks Whisper for spotting.
  • Field dressings added to deployed crates.
  • Virgo mission: Fixed east supply trucks (were added as fuel truck).
  • Updated readme.txt

New misisons:

There are 5 new missions. 3 of them are on other islands.

• devastation13_town_20_basin.Sara
  • devastation13_LvL_48_everon.Sara
  • devastation13_AvA56_wolfskreut.Schmalfelden
  • devastation13_AvA_56_Barbuda.ic_barbuda
  • devastation13_town_24_porto.Porto - although too small imo

New features:

Laser Marker/Designator:

• Laser Marker now has a Laser Marker HUD plus an action 'Transmit Target'.
  • This allows you to measure distances and bearings, then transmit this time stamped information to your team and marks the map. This could be used for artillery or any attack vehicle/aircraft that recognises laser marker targets.
  • The HUD activates only when you switch the Laser Marker on.
    th_LaserDesignatorHUD.jpg
    Laser Designator HUD Screenshot

Artillery:

I couldn't do much with artillery, since BIS's artillery is so limited for scripting. i.e. Lack of precision aiming, limited indirect fire shell range, shell tracking (missing projectile param in 'fired' EH even though it's in VBS2), etc

The new indirect fire enhancements are tricky to use and coordinate, so it doesn't provide too much advantage. They are most useful against stationary targets, like enemy bunkers and MRV's. Live targets are likely to move unless you hit them on the first shot or two. The shell's default splash radius and splash damage is generally small.

• Added 'Artillery' request to 'Request' menu
  • Added Artillery HUD to artillery guns upon mounting. Info supports initial firing and successive adjusted firing (in +/-0.1 increments).
  • Added 'Calc firing solution (map)' to 'HQ Support'->'Artillery' menu. This gives the gunner a bearing and distance to target.
  • Artillery impact spotting via 3rd party observer. Any team member who has a laser marker while being near an impact site (within 1500m) will automatically report impact details. Manual spotting & reporting proved to be too difficult for spotters.
    th_ArtilleryHUD.jpgth_ArtilleryImpactSpotter.jpg
    Artillery HUD screenshot --/-- Artillery Impact Spotter screenshot

Future plans/Version 1.4+:

Small missions - delete/fix:

I have been considering deleting the small town missions (<= 24 players) in a future update, since they don't conform to the proper game-play requirements.

I'm still trying to see if I can redo them to conform to the logistic requirements.

The larger missions encourage more teamwork due to the need to share vehicles because of the limited transport available.

I urge players to play the medium sized missions rather than the small ones due the extra functionality available to you and the requirement to use better planning.

Spawning: I may change the respawn method to always spawn at base and simply use 'Base deployment' action to deploy. This will provide a better opportunity to get weapons in all cases.

Kit exploit: I need to fix the exploit of being able to request a weapon, drop it for someone else and take another one.

Responses:

@The_Captain: Thanks for the display EH advice. That will be useful for all other implementations too. I added that info to BIKI.

@Whisper: Thanks for spotting the localisation log warning.

@Squeeze: Thanks for the arty concepts from CTI.

@Pogoman: As mentioned, I'll try to fix the kit limiting exploit in version 1.4.

@mad rabbit:

1) "Game manual." Main issue is lack of time. Will try.

2) "3mb" - not an issue.

3) "Manual deployed object placement." A little tricky - need to handle collisions, slopes, distance restrictions, etc. Will consider.

4) "Arty." Try the new arty options and we'll see. I don't want to use addons (like mortar) for now.

5) Goes against my small mission dilema. May have to leave them in and fix the bases, zone sizes and spacing as required.

6) "Limit Satchels & Silent weapons to SF, not for AT kit." Ok I'll consider that.

@All: Thanks to the local communities for the feedback.

Edited by Dr_Eyeball
reformat

Hi Eyeball,

Thanks for all the hard work and responding to the requests.

It's a pity your removing the 24 player maps as I've found them the most frequently used in terms of OGN.  This could however be a problem with the number of available players on OGN.

Nice work with the artillery!  I would prefer to see troop carried and assembled mortars like back inthe good ol' days of WGL 5.1 with the white phos.  However this took both the WGL team and the CoC team to get up and running, and is beyond the scope of your map i.e. *cough* someone rip/make the addon *cough, cough* please *cough*

In terms of the bunkers and having previewed placement of assets.  You could for now have the sand bag corners automatically built on each corner of the bunker for now...just a thought.

Here are some other suggestions following the previous two night v1.2 testing and last nights v1.3 testing:

7) Make the armament interface more intuitive

Had to explain it to 5 people on the night. The little preview button, let alone the word preview, is misleading. Also and explanation of the request button would be nice...I don't know what it does.

8) Yellow flags for enemy in territory under contest

This is in Bezerk maps and a radio message appears in Project Reality maps. Distinguishes enemy in zone trying to be captured from map bug.

9) Lockable vehicles

Less discouraging for a side that's lost it's primary spawn and ammo vehicles to enemy hands. Need some easier way from them to retrieve their vehicles

Again keep up the good work and let me know if you need a hand!

EDIT: Possible bug I noticed. If the ammo truck is detroyed just after bunker placement or during bunker construction, it becomes a spawnable point but you cannot obtain armaments.

Therefore,

10) Abort bunker construction if ammo truck destroyed or out of range prior to bunker completion

That way if your squad isn't around to help you build and protect to the bunker then your team doesn't benefit. Also prevents mass and sporadic bunker building. i.e. bunkers have to be carefully planned out and built. Too easy to get the 'mobile spawn+arming factories' in place at the moment.

The original (old style without the excellent dialogs+frills) AAS maps are still up on the 16AAB server if you want to play some smaller infantry-focussed maps.

Going to upload the good Doctor's fantastic treatment (read: almost a complete overhaul!) of the base engine to the server too so there'll be a UK server reachable with the maps running.

Many thanks for your hard work on these Dr!

all the changes sound great mate! and im glad to see your working on a fix for the kit limiting bug (probably shouldnta spelt it out here so now every knows how to do it :P), we've got a much larger arma community over at bigdy now and we did do devastation a fair bit at one point awhile back, however the kit limiting bug soon turned it into a bezerk fest with everyone running around with AT heh, so glad to see thats getting fixed.

Cant wait to give em a bash notworthy.gif

Now all we need is the PvP players, huh.

and AI that follow orders... hurry up ArmA2 Micro-AI.

It was Deja-vu on 16AAB server tonight...

Love the job you've done on the additions!

Porto map has only 1 slot for some reason..  whistle.gif