Sign in to follow this  
funnyguy1

Dynamic destruction, who needs it anyway?

There's a sequel to Red Faction coming out... forgot the name... read about it in Game Informer... that's going to have such realistic destruction that they had to learn how to build structurally-sound buildings in their engine, because they kept falling apart.

Sounds like it offers a large world with very open gameplay.

Building destruction definitely added to the gameplay in Soldner, but that was pretty much a single-player only game. (The single-player was extremely poor.)

I like the current system of buildings that collapse, leaving rubble. As long as 7.62mm + rounds are allowed to penetrate cinder block, that should enable troops and vehicles to kill those who are hidden in buildings.

Each squad has a 7.62mm weapon, so no one should be able to hide.

Quote[/b] ]As long as 7.62mm + rounds are allowed to penetrate cinder block, that should enable troops and vehicles to kill those who are hidden in buildings.

Each squad has a 7.62mm weapon, so no one should be able to hide.

Hi, also the 5.45mm of the AK74 Series are able to Penetrate "common" house-walls(made of common cinder block) as well as few centimeters thick steel plates, because of their steel-core. Of course this depends on various other factors like distance to the object, angle and so on*

*Source: The book "Avtomat Kalashnikov" i own.

Man, a look at the feature list of ArmA 2 leads me to conclude that this War on Terror needs to end just so that OFP fans can have their game back.

Looks like everything OFP fans want is going into VBS!

Man, a look at the feature list of ArmA 2 leads me to conclude that this War on Terror needs to end just so that OFP fans can have their game back.

Looks like everything OFP fans want is going into VBS!

Feature list from where?

Destructible buildings, new AI system, 3D editor... The good stuff seems to be coming to ArmA 2.

if your looking for realism i think its important. No doubt about it.

"Realistic" dynamic destruction of structures is ridiculously more complex than what you see in any games currently around, unless you think that "realistic" dynamic destruction means that a single grenade will take huge chunks out of buildings as in some games.

Lets not throw the r-word around so casually - even doing something as simple as having a single brick wall that reacts appropriately to the full range of munitions, from handgun to grenade to tank shell to bomb, is far, far from trivial. Doing that to an entire building, let alone an entire city, is asking a hell of a lot. If you think a small independent developer even has a snowball's chance in hell of doing that kind of full-blown simulation-level dynamic destruction, or that it would work over multiplayer in the current day and age, you are simply mistaken and have expectations that cannot be met by reality.

Hi, I dont know if you have tryed a game called Soldner, yeh its old but the game had what it called an "ADS" Advanced Destruction System where you could destroy the landscapes, destroy all buildings & there was foliage destruction. too.

I know its alot to ask in this late dev of ARMA2 but it may be well worth thinking about for the future.

Soldner: http://www.secretwars.net/index.php?RubrikIdentifier=795〈=en#1

if your looking for realism i think its important. No doubt about it.

"Realistic" dynamic destruction of structures is ridiculously more complex than what you see in any games currently around, unless  you think that "realistic" dynamic destruction means that a single grenade will take huge chunks out of buildings as in some games.

Lets not throw the r-word around so casually - even doing something as simple as having a single brick wall that reacts appropriately to the full range of munitions, from handgun to grenade to tank shell to bomb, is far, far from trivial. Doing that to an entire building, let alone an entire city, is asking a hell of a lot. If you think a small independent developer even has a snowball's chance in hell of doing that kind of full-blown simulation-level dynamic destruction, or that it would work over multiplayer in the current day and age, you are simply mistaken and have expectations that cannot be met by reality.

Hi, I dont know if you have tryed a game called Soldner, yeh its old but the game had what it called an "ADS" Advanced Destruction System where you could destroy the landscapes, destroy all buildings & there was foliage destruction. too.

I know its alot to ask in this late dev of ARMA2 but it may be well worth thinking about for the future.

Soldner: http://www.secretwars.net/index.php?RubrikIdentifier=795〈=en#1

If I remember correctly Soldner was a big let down for a lot of people in this community. I never got around to playing it since so many people here hated it and said it had so many bugs.

I read about that "Red Faction: Guerilla" game and it sounds pretty cool. I wish we could have that kind of destruction in ArmA 2 but I know it won't happen. I can settle for what we have now in ArmA or what ArmA 2 is bringing.

ahh Soldner.. touted as the next 'big thing' after OFP had been around for a bit. Tried it and ran screaming back to flashpoint biggrin_o.gif

my word it was terrible.

One game that had a Dynamic Destruction was Soldner but there was no AI to deal with really. But after seeing some vids of Arma 2 Destruction my only Q is once u knock a wall down can u enter it like the Dynamic Destruction Demos?

Either way its better then watching a building fall down in Arma like you C4'd all the Structures main columns. or just vanish through the ground

Duke, haven't you realised Plaintiff1 cannot be wrong yet? It's just impossible...

Aside from that Duke, you do have a good (and easily understandable) idea there but there are inherent problems with such a practice- like who owns the content and other legal matters. If it could work, then it'd be great, however.

'Get the community involved somehow' is not an idea. It's like saying 'go to alpha centari somehow'. How can I be right or wrong when I don't even know what he's talking about, and he refuses to elabourate? I think that's as far as he got in his thought. He thought it would be nice to end world hunger and then decided to post his idea for feedback.

Sorry but it appears at least one person here was intelligent enough to understand where I was going with the idea. If you want me to draw you a roadmap then I can't do it for you.

As for your world hunger reply it only goes to clearly demonstrate that no amount of input will help alleviate your ignorance.