Sign in to follow this  
simonwa1

How about a New public server ?

Hello!

This might not be the first post concerning this subject. Anyhow, I was thinking about the online arma servers, and it appears to me that public onlinegaming offers a small selection of gametypes/maps. Almost every server are running Evolution, Sahrani life etc.

I'm intrested in starting a new server for ppl whom are tired of above-mentioned maps.

Here's my thoughts of what the server should achive:

- A medium selection of well-tested maps

- Online 24/7

- Update & refresh maplist ( = remove/add)

- A bunch of reliable and fair admins

- Clean from idiots/morons etc.

I suppose I'm not the only one trying to put up somthing like this, but I'd like to know if you are intrested in this !?

As a start I could contribute with a decent server, I think it can handle about 10-20 players. Of course, if you have a server and would like to host something like this, please post here!

Wanting a server like this is the easy part. After all, most people do want a server with reliable and fair admins and with 24/7 availability, clean from idiots and morons. There's no new ground being broken here.

When someone hosts an ArmA server, I'm willing to bet they have your laundry-list of features in mind. I don't think a single host (or at least the one who pays the bills) creates a server while saying to himself "this server will be a haven for idiots and morons, will only be up one hour per day, will have childish and corrupt admins, and will be full of missions that nobody wants to play." He does not say that because he does not want that.

What one wants, however, must be tempered by reality.

A pubbie server free of drooling idiots? Sorry, you can't provide it. They're a part of the public as well, and they're the reason that many of the mature, competent players who would otherwise play in pubbie servers gravitate toward the passworded servers of tighter-knit communities. It's just easier. It's a more tangible safeguard.

So what are you left with in the Land of Pubbie Play? You're left with turn-key missions that can run indefinitely with minimal admin interference and minimal organization on the part of the player. That would be Evolution, Sahrani Life, and their ilk.

Highly-structured, well-organized missions are less flexible, even with join-in-progress. There is a set start and a set ending. This necessitates people showing up at the same time rather than wandering in piecemeal and it also requires them to be able to play for a set amount of time.

Let's say you have a base of players willing to do this. Now you just need a place for them to organize some times that they can show up knowing that others will be there to play with. All right, we've made a forum that lets them do that. Okay, so now you have a set group of people who use a single forum for discussion and a set time that you're going to play missions together. They keep up to date on the forums and they all generally get along well and know their stuff. Now if there were only a way to keep random knuckle-dragging losers from wandering in and ruining the experience for all the mature players... guess you should password-protect the server.

Uh-oh, look what you just did. You've just made a gaming community, and all you did was follow the logic required to ensure the ideal public server. Unfortunately, your ideal public server is no longer public, so the pubbies who are left out wander over to a Bezerk server instead.

The cycle continues, uninterrupted. In short, there is a reason things are they way they are.

I totally agree with everything you wrote. I guess I have this desperate will to set up something like this.

Quote[/b] ]A pubbie server free of drooling idiots? Sorry, you can't provide it. They're a part of the public as well, and they're the reason that many of the mature, competent players who would otherwise play in pubbie servers gravitate toward the passworded servers of tighter-knit communities. It's just easier. It's a more tangible safeguard.

With "public" i meant a server that not require membership of a clan/group to play (my bad), but open for all serious players. Passworded or not depends on situation (I guess it has to be as of what '96D' just wrote).

I need about 20-30 positive responses on the poll to be motivated enough to set up everything for a trial period. That includes the server and a simple website.

Hello all

Hmmm tricky one this.

Alot of true comments from 96D. But still do-able IMHO.

Like some other servers do, a good way is to set up a joinable website and publish the password (daily/weekly?) there, so you know who's joined and are able to remove em if trouble is caused.

yes, there are ways around this but for most folks it seems to work.

Maps would have to be carefully chosen to allow join in progress, I myself have been stuck miles away from target with no way of getting to it as ive joined to late, but this can be remidied by good map choice and/or editing.

Now as to the Mature/like minded players, that actually is the most diff thing to realise.

I'd say that the majority of posters here consider themselves to be mature considrate players, but we have alot of Hardcore simers vs CTFers vs Carebear Coop'ers (like me) vs CTi players vs RPG'ers and folk inbetween.

Which do you cater to?

By all means make this server, but let folk know what YOU'RE into then we can decide whether we are of a like mind and whether to join.

A good idea though, but idea needs a bit more ironing out but I hope you do it and that I'll be playing on yer server.

rgds

LoK

Thanks for your comments LoK.

Quote[/b] ]By all means make this server, but let folk know what YOU'RE into then we can decide whether we are of a like mind and whether to join.

My main thought was not to decide too much by myself. My main thought was to find ppl intrested in giving a shot for this.

Though the structure/proceedure:

1. Confirm it will be pulled off

2. Set up the website/forum

3. Suggestions for maps

4. Decide what maps

5. Decide rules

6. Allot a few admins

7. Set kick-off date

8. PLAY

Maintenance:

1. Suggestions: New maps / Remove maps - A clean, balanced amount of maps

2. Suggestions/Applies for new admins.

My thougths about a new online-server and to prevent the idiots:

- TS

- NO JIP

- NO Respawn

- NO 3rd person-view

- NO amingpoint on screen

- NO enemy-marker on map

- NO ally-marker on map and screen

And only for the case of PvP-gaming this has to be included:

(-VON)

- arma battleye

- signature verification or NO addons

- NO sidearms to prevent the ArmA-wall-hack

I like the idea, so I say go for it! There's no achievement without anyone trying. Besides, it's the only way you'll know if it's doable or not wink_o.gif

You guys can't sit back and keep tossing out lists and encouraging words and expect someone else to make your Ideal Public Serverâ„¢ for you. I can't help but notice everyone is choosing their words very carefully so as not to make it seem they're the ones who are going to give it a shot.

Either you feel you know what a server needs for public consumption or you don't. If you know, then make it happen. If you don't, then the best you can do is join all the others in wishing out loud on the Internet.

My QX6850 @ 3.4 ghz or more will be online in 2 to 4 weeks that i will use for berzerk type maps. player vs player so i have 2 servers up on arma

My QX6850 @ 3.4 ghz or more will be online in 2 to 4 weeks that i will use for berzerk type maps. player vs player so i have 2 servers up on arma

This server will be not an option for me.

1.) i am banned on your server.

2.) What is so interesting to play against opponents, of which i know where they are located ?(Berzerk-cheating-possibility: to get the exact positions of all your enemies you need only to login to the enemy side for some seconds and then login back to your side)

So Berzerk is not an option for me because of the cheating-possibility.

Quote[/b] ]My QX6850 @ 3.4 ghz or more will be online in 2 to 4 weeks that i will use for berzerk type maps. player vs player so i have 2 servers up on arma

The idea is not to run the same map 24/7 (especially not Berzerk, in my opinion) but to alternate between quality maps choosen by the players.

Back in the days there were the Forum Nights .. or whatever it was called.

...it didn´t always go as planned biggrin_o.gif

post-3-26016-speedyndwilco.jpg

Hello all,

I'd be more than happy to assist in a project like this, (to put my money where me mouth is), Unfortunatly I don't have the bandwidth/Equipment/Cash to achieve it.

But Being horribly unemployed I do have stacks of time and web space to offer and Joomla CMS / Photoshop experience, although I wouldn't say i'm an expert by any means.

I'm happy to playtest maps, admin etc etc just as long as I don't get drawn into the whole "clan thing" Ie you MUST be there every weds eve from 5 till 11 or face expulsion/tar n feathering etc etc for example.

Bit of a caveat I know. but there you go.

(This is actually why I created the U.N.I.T. squad, which was just for very similar reasons, but it didn't come to anything smile_o.gif

Rgds

LoK

Howdy! I could bring some web space (LAMP) + voice (TS/Mumble) hosting to this project, as long as someone would be willing to administer it in non-lethal doses smile_o.gif

I would also offer to host the actual game server but I'm not 100% sure that I can commit the required CPU cycles (with an AM2 X2 5600+). I occasionally run a single game server on it but haven't done so for quite some time, so I guess I could at least offer something that you can use as a temporary/test box.

PS. Joomla + phpbb3 / fireboard?

Quote[/b] ]Howdy! I could bring some web space (LAMP) + voice (TS/Mumble) hosting to this project, as long as someone would be willing to administer it in non-lethal doses smile_o.gif

I would also offer to host the actual game server but I'm not 100% sure that I can commit the required CPU cycles (with an AM2 X2 5600+). I occasionally run a single game server on it but haven't done so for quite some time, so I guess I could at least offer something that you can use as a temporary/test box.

PS. Joomla + phpbb3 / fireboard?

That sounds great buddy!

I suspect that your server should do some better performance than i could provide with mine (Sempron 3400+ 2.01 Ghz, 1gb ram). Though, I think we should have as many servers as we can for backup if one goes down temporary/permantly.

I'm currently developing a websystem, so i guess i can cover the website, including webspace. But tell me if you can support in case of needing backup.

Would be nice if you could provide with the TS server X|Rolando!

Seeing as [EVO] www.evoclan.net currently host the number 1 ArmA Server. I feel with the repuation the server has we could contribute more to the community.

I could host another lag free none EVOLUTION server just tell me if you think its a good idea along with a link suggestion to the maps.

Id apprieciate some regular donations as servers cost money and we could maybe agree on admin in return for donations or something. Let me know what you think.

id propose co-op only (minimum 30 players) server with varied maps.