Sign in to follow this  
GodHammer

W.i.p. windrunner .50 cal bmg

Hello everybody, I am new on this great forum, fanatic player of OFP and ArmA since a long time.

I am building up the .50 of my dreams, an EDM Arms model 96 in digital camo, for my ArmA sniper.

Actually I have in mind to add some .50s for my game, this one, a russian one and maybe another for the rebel faction.

I hope I can spare some advices with you, since this is my first model ever smile_o.gif

Anyway, here we go with a work in progress pic, hope you like it.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w73/GodHammer74/Windy1.jpg

Texture for the moment is just plain, got to understand how to add normal maps and also how to drill holes on a plane surface in Oxygen2.

Good work to all,

Claudio.

It's that a... .50 caliber handgun? If it's yes i want it now!

Or the middle part of a Barret?

rofl.gif  nope it's not an handgun.

It's a work in progress, just part of the gun it is going to be.

Yes, .50 caliber, it's called Windrunner smile_o.gif

GodHammer

Please do not hotlink images over 100kb. smile_o.gif

That rail does look somewhat like toothpicks glued on tounge2.gif should be 2-3 times wider per notch smile_o.gif

@ W0lle: sorry, my bad smile_o.gif

Yes it's true, rail has to be fixed, 20 of those toothpicks are sufficient in real one, got to scale them a bit too, lol.

As I said it's a wip, got to change major and minor things on that baby smile_o.gif

Where can I read some advices for drilling holes on a plane surface in Oxygen2? I really cannot figure out in the menu, usually I use Maya to model, but wanted to try this one to avoid converting everything later smile_o.gif

Thanks for comments, good work everybody!

I'm really looking forward to see this one ingame.

The Windwunner is a nice piece of hardware.

Quote[/b] ]Where can I read some advices for drilling holes on a plane surface in Oxygen2?

Afaik and have searched, there isn't a subtract tool in O2. Thanks god we already have extrude these days...But i agree a subtract tool would be a very handy tool (would make it a more complete 3D program). Atm you will have to manually allign your cilinders to the face(s) you want your holes in and recreate the faces again based on your cilinder. Old fashion time comsuming job, but it works...

Might be better to stick to a pro tool for all model and mapping stuff.

After spending some time with Oxygen2 I am starting to warm up. Today I built a Nightforce optic to add some spice to my Windy .50, got still to rebuild the whole body in this new style, I'll try another camo too, maybe a desert one, but first I'd like to study shadows and dephts a bit more.

Also planning to add a custom muzzle brake, I'll see if I find some good pictures around the web.

Thanks for sharing comments,again good work to everybody

Claudio.

Nightforce.jpg

Updating the model with help of Maya.

Finally I am able to drill holes and use booleans to make this piece of metal a bit more close to the real model.

I complitely remade texture to match Nightforce optic, reworked all the action and also checked a bit proportions.

Added a custom muzzle brake for .50 Cal.

Bipod is still untextured smile_o.gif Still got to check for polycount...

Hope you guys will like it smile_o.gif

Windy4.jpg

Looking good GodHammer,

The Nightforce optics looks good but I would get rid of the lens covers.  That's just my opinion.  Can't wait to see the finished model.  smile_o.gif

GD Mast

Thank you GD Mast, I'll see when model is complete if it looks better with or without lens covers. smile_o.gif

Here you can see other side with bipod texture 90% done.

Here comes a question: do you guys think it could be possible having a script to allow bipod to be extended or folded in game?

Maybe an option the player can choose with the mouse wheel.

I am not so good with animations/script, so I have not a clue, yet.

Also, I am following an old OFP tutorial to make this model playable, do you think it will work the same?

Thanks for comments and advices smile_o.gif

Windy5.jpg

model looks good but the textures could be better. like get rid of all the blotchy black spots.

Not casting aspersions on the model, which looks very well

accomplished so far but...I've seem some ugly-looking rifle

designs (all of the Russian ones, for example) but that one

takes the chapatti. Is it made of "Meccano"? smile_o.gif

Lol, the weird shape is the thing I love the most in this rifle smile_o.gif

Thanks for comments boys!

I am not satisfied with the back part, the action and the bolt, because of the poor quality of pictures I have of the real model. Any help would be apreciated, I'd like to build a good mesh afterall. notworthy.gif

Texture is just a try to study shadows/light painted directly on the mesh, I'll add the desert camo later.

What are the blotchy black spots you are referring to, Oyman?

I'm sure you found their website but I don't think there are any decent pictures.  EDM Arms, the makers of the Windrunner.  EDM Arms

GD Mast

GD Mast: Yes i have them all already, thanks for help, unfortunately no pics of the back part.

I tried with Cheytac 408 models too, which are really similar, but they were driving me in the wrong direction so i quitted it.

I'll ask on Youtube, I have seen some videos of people who owns a Windy, maybe they could help with sounds too smile_o.gif

An animation for bolt action would be nice too, like BF2, it's closer to reality.... ok, back to my modeling, later all smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]An animation for bolt action would be nice too, like BF2, it's closer to reality.... ok, back to my modeling, later all

Look at RHS AWM sniper rifle, that "I think" is animated.

GD Mast

I thought that looked somewhat like some Cheytac rifle, so i did a little research.. Seems Cheytac Associates LLC sued EDM Arms for trademark infringement back in 2005 tounge2.gif

Lol that's why they look so similar!

A couple of stupid questions: what's the average poly count for a good rifle model, boys?

For texturing I am using two 512x512 textures, one for the body, other one for scope and bipod. Do you think I should upgrade to a 1024x1024?

Thank you all for comments and advices smile_o.gif

I'm getting there.. Mesh is 85 percent done.

Than I need a cleanup ( booleans leave too many useless triangles around...) and have to fix texture.

For this moment I'll leave a couple of 512x512, then I'll see if it's worth a better texturing.

Here you are a fast preview.

Windy6.jpg

Thats one ugly looking gun!

No offence, not mean't towards your model, in the case of the model thats great, as they say "the boys got skills".

Nice work..................

notworthy.gif

Any chance you could make a CheyTec M200 Rifle after your planned projects?

whistle.gif