Sign in to follow this  
DaV!d Armstrong

Gasmasks in arma 2 and the toxic gas.

Gasmask's have no funktion, other features are much importand than this.

I don't like your idea, its totally indiscutable, because who needs gasmask's without gas? And Gas would be, hmm, I don't like it, in opposite to you.

BTT: I saw some commentars from Armstrong on Armedassault.de earlier, and I just say

Amstrong, you are an east european racism prick, that just tell shit

BTT: I saw some commentars from Armstrong on Armedassault.de earlier, and I just say

Amstrong, you are an east european racism prick, that just tell shit

Hallo Fanboy,

Now i see how mature some guys can be.

[irony]You will get your gift. xmas_o.gif

p.s. Sorry,i will give you my autograph another time.[/irony]

greetings

DaV!d Armstrong

Dragz

Same thing applies you as I said to DaV!d Armstrong, your tone is completely inappropriate.

Bringing issues from other forums is not our concern and will stop as of now.

Stay on topic all or the thread will be locked.

Thankyou smile_o.gif

Gas masks would be an interesting addition to the game only if there was poison gas or tear gas as part of the game-play. In a scenario like that SAS hostage rescue in the 1980s, gas masks would make sense. Simply having gas masks for the sake of them, though, seems a little flippant.

Gas masks would be an interesting addition to the game only if there was poison gas or tear gas as part of the game-play.  In a scenario like that SAS hostage rescue in the 1980s, gas masks would make sense.  Simply having gas masks for the sake of them, though, seems a little flippant.

I conur

Gas and gas masks were a great feature in SWAT 4.

If you chose a gas mask, you could fill a room with tear gas, stroll inside, and zip-cuff the coughing suspects one by one. Of course, it was possible to get a little too cocky with this method and be taken down by a suspect with an AK and a gas mask of his own. crazy_o.gif

But ArmA is outdoors (where gas grenades are not so effective) and it is about killing the enemy, not arresting them. So I think while gas and gas masks might be an interesting novelty, I think there are far more important things that could be added first.

The worst kind of gas scenario to include in the game (and I'm not saying anyone is suggesting it) would be large-scale chemical warfare, where huge areas are covered by gas. Choosing equipment should be about pros/cons. If your choice is "choose the gas mask or die" then that's not much of a choice. Forcing players to don gas masks and other such equipment might be realistic, but so is tying one's bootlaces and zipping up one's trousers, and I don't think anyone wants to see that featured in the game. tounge2.gif

Good point. Gas masks full NBC suits would be mandatory for fighting in an area where there was a high risk of exposure to chemical agents. Not choosing correctly in your load out if you had such authority would simply mean that you become a casualty... in game terms, this would mean loading up a save from before the mission and choosing a gas mask. Trial and error gaming = no fun.

Good point. Gas masks full NBC suits would be mandatory for fighting in an area where there was a high risk of exposure to chemical agents. Not choosing correctly in your load out if you had such authority would simply mean that you become a casualty... in game terms, this would mean loading up a save from before the mission and choosing a gas mask. Trial and error gaming = no fun.

Gas masks are standard issue, and are supposed to be with the soldier in combat.

Good point.  Gas masks full NBC suits would be mandatory for fighting in an area where there was a high risk of exposure to chemical agents.  Not choosing correctly in your load out if you had such authority would simply mean that you become a casualty... in game terms, this would mean loading up a save from before the mission and choosing a gas mask.  Trial and error gaming = no fun.

Gas masks are standard issue, and are supposed to be with the soldier in combat.

This is right! And i see no reason why BIS shouldn't make this feature for ArmA 2!

Are soldiers expected to have a gas mask with them at all times? And even if so, how often would a soldier then actually have occasion to use it? If the answer is practically never, then I don't see a reason for it in a video-game unless it was an important part of the game play. Which brings us to game play... if such a thing doesn't really affect the game play other than you hit the gas mask button when you're told to or you start to get wounded, you have to really question why including something like this is fun.

Combat operations in a NBC environment are being conducted often in the AO down range. You just don't hear about them in the news. VBS 2 (a Bohemia Interactive product) is in current use by the USMC and AFSOC for call-for-fire training between the AC-130U Gunship and any ground unit that requires virtual training prior to actual live fire on the training range. The advantage for warfighters of a chemical capability would be the injection of the "chemical problem' into the training. The gaming community would now be able to make missions that involve the inadvertant release of a chemical due to the bad guys releasing the chemical or the good guys making the wrong choice to force application pistols.gif into the game.

I don't think thats top priority stuff. It's difficult to have the same fast actions/reactions, movements etc. with NBC suit than without. IRL you won't have to wear it for a longer time.

I guess many shooterfans  will get very angry if someone will make this stuff close to realism. whistle.gif

VBS 2 (a Bohemia Interactive product) is in current use by the USMC and AFSOC for call-for-fire training between the AC-130U Gunship and any ground unit that requires virtual training prior to actual live fire on the training range.

What the hell has that got to do with gas masks? crazy_o.gif

I guess many shooterfans  will get very angry if someone will make this stuff close to realism. whistle.gif

We are not shooter fans dude,it is a combat simulation "game" not just a first person shooter.

If you want to play stuff like "CS",so go and play it.

Don't take this post to personal please!

Greetings

DaV!d Armstrong

Guest Ti0n3r

ArmA, a simulator? big LOL rofl.gif

DaV!d Armstrong read my whole posting again, it does'nt say anything against ArmA. Maybe it's your blindness?

Maybe you were in hurry to get somewhere:

"We are not..." Multiple persons in you?

"If you want to play stuff like "CS",so go and play it." - No, thanks but would be interesting if you can tell more about your suggestion!?

Maybe you're fun-combat-shooter-player who doesn't know anything about wearing NBC suit IRL?

You're right it's a game, imho ArmA should be closer to realism than other FPS and console shooters.  wink_o.gif

DM

The point in using that example is that warfighters are using this "game" for initial training prior to the real thing. There are times when a forward observer will have to call fire while in NBC equipment. If the community desires realism, then make it real. A mod of this sort would benefit both the ARMA gaming folks as well as the warfighter.

Hallo guys,i'm new here.. smile_o.gif

I thought that would be a good idea to post it here,so i will do so.I mean,what we actually needed in a Infantry Simulation like ArmA or ArmA 2 were gasmask and toxic gas.It is realistic and we can simulate the reaction with our friends how to react if the enemy droped toxic gas.Put the gasmasks on and get worse sight,i mean like in your "new" fog effects on ArmA 2 (BIS knows what i mean).But the toxic gas should comes up higher than that fog.I hope this isn't really hard to make an Gasmask addon,like from Operation Flashpoint Community addons.With the option to put it on,and put it off,like with the NV on ArmA (1).Guys.. i can speak hours about that idea,because that would be so great and would make me and very many players happy about that "new original" feature,from the house of Bohemia Interactive Studios,not from the modders.I mean this is easier if you put it into ArmA 2 than we download it from some mod,and it is better for people who don't know how to download and install an addon made by community.

ps: What do you think about that guys?

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_th....und.jpg <-Russian Gasmask

http://wing.chez-alice.fr/USA/airborne/Assault_Gas_Mask.jpg <-US Airborne Gasmask

Greetings

DaV!d Armstrong xmas_o.gif

Gasmask is possible now in ArmA, and was possible even in OFP. There were addons with gasmask for OFP. And i don't think BIS should waste time on this, because they have long list of othe important things. Such as improved AI, better campagin,sound, engine improvements, etc

Reminds me of how I asked the FDF Mod folks for a gasmask, and they (well the one person at the IRC channel) ridiculed the idea  tounge2.gif Also at their forums this idea didn't really get much serious support...

Why not have a gasmask in a game? I have good memories from the army using it! Running in the icy, snowy steep hills of Hämeenlinna with the gasmask on was fun! Especially as my breathing technique was obviously not perfect, as the visibility lowered quite substantially due to the moisture inside the mask... I was surprised to make it out unhurt of that training! Not all did by the way.

Creating an overlay to block visibility like a gasmask does to you would be easy to implement wouldn't it.

Also the 3D model, technically possible too isn't it.

And why not have some scripts to make characters die in a gas cloud if they don't have their mask on.

This opens so much possibilities scenario-wise, that why not do it.

That sounds exactly like what an addon-maker should do when the game is released.  wink_o.gif

Sounds like all we have so far is a daytime night vision goggle system that you can't remove or you die. Just doesn't sound fun to me.

Well anyways, it's up to the BIS developers to consider what features they want to implement into ArmA 2...

...if a gasmask fits in, then fine. If it doesn't, then no problems from my side expected.

I just don't understand why people who are not ArmA developers, shoot this kind of suggestion down. On one hand, they like the idea of playing the most realistic military simulation game available, but on the other hand, they talk against realistic features like a gasmask which would open lots of scenario possibilities. Better it would be if it was implemented in the game by default and not 'modded in'. Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it  xmas_o.gif

DaV!d Armstrong read my whole posting again, it does'nt say anything against ArmA. Maybe it's your blindness?

Maybe you were in hurry to get somewhere:

"We are not..." Multiple persons in you?

"If you want to play stuff like "CS",so go and play it." - No, thanks but would be interesting if you can tell more about your suggestion!?

Maybe you're fun-combat-shooter-player who doesn't know anything about wearing NBC suit IRL?

You're right it's a game, imho ArmA should be closer to realism than other FPS and console shooters.  wink_o.gif

@NoRailgunner:-"We are not..."- i mean me and my friends.Yeah,i read my post again,i know it's sounds stupid. biggrin_o.gif

-"If you want to play stuff like "CS",so go and play it."- After i stop playing OFP,i were in the Battlefield 2 and Counter Strike Source Community.This guys are bloody stupid,the whole Community is just a rubish.I played with very young dudes (15-18 years old),and at the begining it was fun.But now when i see the whole ArmA Community i know how stupid the other Communitys (bf2,css) were.Memoraize that,we are all mature here,we don't need kids who are saying "Boom headshot" or "i owned you,yeah i'm a progamer" or stuff like this.I see this game as a simulation.So god let BIS make the next game very realistic,more realistic than ArmA.I'm really not intressted in graphical advancement,we need more new realism.And i told you mate,don't take my post to personal.Maybe my posts sounds hostile every time,sorry for that.Mark my words!

I really don't know what NBC suit IRL is...?!  rofl.gif

@Baddo & USSRsniper: Yeah,i agree with your arguments.Your arguments are argumentative.This sentence sounds funny... rofl.gif

I have nothing against anybody,maybe it is just my formulation of sentences! Remember that please!

Greetings

DaV!d Armstrong

I just don't understand why people who are not ArmA developers, shoot this kind of suggestion down.

Discussion is what the forum is for. Kthnx.

I really don't know what NBC suit IRL is...?!

NBC means Nuclear Biological Chemical. It's military jargon. An NBC suit is a suit that then would protect the wearer against nuclear, biological, and chemical threats. In the case of nuclear, radiation, of course, as well as the more obvious germ or chemical warfare agents.

IRL means In Real Life. It's an internet acronym. It's usually meant to distinguish the reality of a chat room or a multi-player video game from people's 'real' lives.

Well the militaries around the World train their soldiers to use gasmasks! I carried a gasmask with me on every battle exercise I was in.

And the gasmasks get used too. I even saw it on (I think unedited) video material from Operation Iraqi Freedom how the Yankee soldiers had their gasmasks on on many occasions. And you know what? The enemy side was a nation!

Do you think the US military doesn't have chemical or biological weapons which could be used against enemy troops in battlefield combat? I certainly do not believe that they wouldn't have such weapons.

Also I would like to see factual evidence for your argument that terrorists use chem and bio weapons more than nations do... exactly where have such weapons been used and when, by terrorists. Well sarin gas in Japan, I remember that, but where else?