Sign in to follow this  
SlipperyJim

All Mods For Different Countries Are Bad Idea?

M4/M16 on one side and the AK on the other side.

Interesting thread, its on a slipery slope but its still interesting input from people.

About the quote, I can see alot of conflicts between alot of countries in that setup wink_o.gif (f.ex RACS against SLA..)

About playing as US, again.. I was hoping for something else (UK, french, german whatever), but I understand that BI goes for hollywood. Most people can relate to US-army.

But I wait for FDF, UK and OFrP!!

OT:

Isnt the best way the way it always been? Addonmakers make their addons as they want and other ask for permission to alter them to their needs? I think most addonmakers do all the work primarily for their own need?

When you are making a vehicle addon please consider releasing a different version that fits in with the "USA Vs Russia" theme of Arma.

Russia is not even in ArmA... Whatever.

For me, as a British player, I get board of the "America takes on the badguys because nobody else can be arsed" bull crap. I want to play as a German, I want to play as a Dane, I want to play as a Sino soldier but most of all I want my country to be represented. Its not about Patriotism, I can wave my flag around in a built up area if I need to express how patriotic I am. Its more about diversity, realism and the fact that I am not a septic, so playing as one constantly is displeasing.

Whoever wants addons to be only American stuff is either racist (Canadian or not),  sad and needs to get out more or is just totaly igronent of the fact other nations have quite capable militarys that deserve representation.

Let's try and relax a bit, people.

It's getting warm enough to trip the lock-o-meter.

Quote[/b] ]Whoever wants addons to be only American stuff is either racist (Canadian or not),  sad and needs to get out more ....

Wow, thats really some kind of nonsense there. rofl.gif

Back on-topic, my mod team (The Lost Brothers:Isaac & Ishmael- Arab/Israeli conflict mod) was extremely successful in creating almost all of the primary military vehicles and units for both the Israeli and Egyptian military forces.  How did we do it?  We relied on the assitance and great generosity of the OFP addon making community who allowed us to use their hard work (with credits to them) in order to create our mod as quickly as possible.  Plus we had a tiny team.  If we had a full blown mod team, we could very easily in fact replicate the military forces of Israel  (and opposition armies of other countries) in a relatively short time.  We lost our main primary addon editor (Calm Terror) so now we are going much slower, but we still hope to use the community to assist us to do the same thing that we did in OFP.    If the ArmA mod community works together as a team in lending each other models/textures/scripts/etc...  then yes, we can indeed have very successful mods that in fact replicate accurately the military forces of many different countries.  

It is not a dream if we work together.  

Also remember Andy Lee's ROC-3 Taiwan/China conflict MOD for OFP? That was a fantastic mod especially in its final version with Andy Lee and a few of his buddies being the primary force. They did an outstanding job with very little outside support. So even one mod team on their own can do quite a bit. I must also say that Andy Lee was superb at helping other mods including my own so he also contributed quite a bit to the community even if he didn't get help from them.

Aaah.... now we just need some of Andy Lee's fantastic HALO (High Altitude/Low Opening) SF units in ArmA.

First I guess we need some more cargo aircraft for them to jump from. A community C-130 and An-12 Cub (or An-72) addon pack would be awesome. All of these just require OFP conversions to work in ArmA. At any rate (especially the C130 in a flat grey texture suitable for retexturing with various cammo patterns) would be especially useful for ALOT of mods. The more we share, the more we play these great addons but with more variety to them!

So bring on the Brits, Danes, Swedes, Japanese, Chinese, Ukranians, Polish, Nigerian, Colombian, Mexican, German, Argentinian, Malaysian, Indonesian, Australian, Nepalese, etc.. etc... mods. The more the merrier no matter how obscure.

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Whoever wants addons to be only American stuff is either racist (Canadian or not), sad and needs to get out more or is just totaly igronent of the fact other nations have quite capable militarys that deserve representation.

I was with you up until here. This is completely over the top. The argument for a more focussed community in terms of representing the armies of only two nations is that that would lead to a more comprehensive and complete representation of those nations' armies. It has nothing to do with racism. While I disagree with that argument, it's a damn sight more intelligible than this road apple of a statement.