Sign in to follow this  
Gen.Carnage

M109a6 paladin howitzer model

In real life artillery fires the projectile at a great height. Have no worries mate. Also OF islands don't have any high mountains. Pics very real if you see that dust as on other guy said. Also how about the reflection. Is either real or someone with a lot of free time in his hands.

Anyway l want that baby now biggrin.gif

i wish i knew... why didn't we get that darn oxygen tool straight away.....

Well at least the ballistic trajectory is in the game allready, just need to change the parameters... ever tried shootin a tank 1 km away?? you have to aim high over it to hit it....

same goes for sniper rifle, i'm sure you've experienced it.

I think its a matter of increasing the mass of the projectile to make it go ballistic as we want.

About targeting... this is what i plan to do:

The spotter gets a new action, using his binocular, he can get the range and direction for a target, relative to his position.

A script calculates, by using the spotters position, his viewing direction and the range, what the location of the target is in absolute coordinates.

The script places a marker on that spot.

The turret can then be rotated into the direction of that marker.

the script also calculates the distance between the marker and the howitzer, it then gives the gun a certain elevation (which has to be tested and calibrated experimentally)

My idea is to give the gunner control over the turret with a 0.5 degree radius of the calculated direction and elevation, in other words, the turret will act like a normal turret on a tank, but it's movement will be limited within a 1 degree area, both for traverse as elevation.

this 0.5 degree deviation will depend on the targets range, targets 1.5 mile away will give the gunner a 2-5 degree control over the gun, targets 20 miles away (yeah right, like the maps are that big smile.gif ) will give the gunner a 0.1 degree or something deviation from calcualted angles.

So all the gunner needs to do is fire, and wait what the spotter says about the impact, 100 mtr to the right, 50 meters too short, correction values, the gunner then can correct and fire the next round will be dead on target (if all goes well)

If the spotter doesnt reply anymore, you know you killed him and can correct accordingly smile.gif

The warhead on this 155 mm gun will have roughly the blastingpower of 1.5 times the blsat of satchel charges, with a somewhat bigger radius ofcourse.

(i've seen t80's be thrown upside down by such a charge, thats the effect i want)

On the other hand... if this howitzer gets destroyed by something, it will explode and take all closeby equipment with it. making it dangerous to the people who use it as well, especially the support tanks who will be there to attempt to protect it.

When there is no request for a fire mission, and the howitzer is not driving, the gunner will have full control over the gun as if it was a tank.

However, in real life, this baby will flip over if people attempt to fire it while the gun is horizontal and perpendicular to the axis of the undercarriage...... quite some recoil....

(someone who has served for 5 years as commander on a M109a6 told me that, was he bullshitting me?)

I have no idea how to deal with that situation, maybe the turret will have a no-firing zone.

As soon as i manage to get this thing into ofp, i will undoubtedly be back on editing forums to ask people to help me code the necessary scripts.

Top stuff. Artillery was something l always wanted to see in the game. I mean it will make the game more realistic. The hit radious should be big. Also how about using two kinds of ammo. I really don't know but these stuff but l shall look into it. Also have you contacted the guy who made the sound mod for OF to make the sound effects of the vehicle? If not do it mate he rocks biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gen.Carnage @ Feb. 27 2002,18:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well at least the ballistic trajectory is in the game allready, just need to change the parameters... ever tried shootin a tank 1 km away?? you have to aim high over it to hit it....<span id='postcolor'>

I cant even see a tank at 601 m sad.gif

At 599 I can clearly see the tank(zooming from another tank) but at 600m or maybe 601m the tank just disappears.

I can still see the white target square but not the tank. Is there a way to change the visual range?

Holy s**t, that artellery are very cool. Good job. biggrin.gif

How could you do so good joob? wow.gif

Im impressed.

Continue at this work, and I will always download your things.

Exuse for my bad english confused.gif

(Im from Sweden = bad english)

PS:

Check out OperationFlashpoint.cz

Okey dokey "Red Angel", u go to "my documents", and you search "C drive" for flashpoint. itll bring up some stuff, and in that lot will be a folder called flashpoint ( something like "C:/programfiles/codemasters/flashpoint" ) anyways, you open this folder, and in the top left hand corner should be a file called "ADDONS". simply paste the addon in there and play.

NOTE!

u will need at least version 1.10 to use the addons. if u havent got a clue bout wot im talking bout, go two the official site and fine the patches. IF YOU HAVE THE US VERSION, then you should be v1.20 anyway.

HOPE DAT HELPS

Poor S_Z well l haven't measured this but l see all the times the tank from any distnace if is viewable in real life. Anyway l think that the view distance has to do with the detait settings and in extension how powerful your system is.

Well I have tried everything...I have all settings at max but it doesn’t help...at 600 everything(soldiers and vehicles) disappears … don’t like this at all!! sad.gif

May I ask what computer you have?…Im on an Athon 600MHz with 384Mb mem and a geforce2 GTS

go to map edit ... place your plaeyer unit, set in its init field

[setviewdistance 1500]

(without the brackets)

place a tank at 1500 meters away... you'll see it

anything in a radius of 1500 meters wil be visible

in other words, it depends on the mapbuilder.

i got!

650, 258 and a geforce 2 mx 400

and it is slow in places...:( but i dont have to worry about that anymore because i got a gig ready to be put in as soon as i get a more powerful power supply. biggrin.gif

stuur me maar een meeltje, ik wil je wel helpen met de skinz

sorry but our mod is already doing the skins and we wouldn't be able to anyway until ox comes out due to no one knowing how to do them properly yet! hopefully when ox comes out we should have solved all our problems, and i need to learn to do the skins for modding anyway... so far all i can do are addon skins and i need to have ox with everyone else so that we can pass on info and parts we have done.

carnage its up to you but no one is able to do this til everyone has a grasp of ox and i really want to have the privilage to do this for you with my team!

btw keep up the good work on the new model! you know which one i mean! I have sent you an e-mail on the parts that you may need to go over!

wink.gif

Hmmm l think the developers reduce the view distnace to reduce slowdowns. Well l have no problems with my gf3 here biggrin.gif

I shall go and test this now!

i usually set the viewdistance to 900..1000 meters on maps with high numers of units, but then again, this p4 with gf2 gts and 512 megs ram can move mountains..:)

Gen., right after I get my hands on O2, I'll be looking around this Forum, or at the Ed Ctr. for a link to d/l your Paladin. It rocks!

I was hoping someone would depbo the entire campaign, add the setviewdistance 1500 to every mission and repbo it.

I would like that. Also since is coming out very soon the artillery will be at hand biggrin.gif

Hahahahahhaahahhaahhahaa biggrin.gif

well were are hopfully using it in our mod and if we can get hold of ox for the mod then we can tweak it really nicely wink.gif

FLACHETTE ROUNDS!!!!

Anti-personel... its a sort-of normal shell.... but lower power... like 80 MM power... but it is filled with several THOUSAND razor sharp spikes...fire this off 25 feet above a Russian/UN platoon.... you have one hellova mess.... WE NEED THESE!!! oooooo.... razor spikes....

Note: They used these in 'Nam in 105 and 155.

i don't want to alarm you man , but that sounds kinda sick.

This gun is intended to flush enemies out of fortifications  and destroy enemy armor.

Next you want to put nuclear shells in?? (the paladin can fire them)

I'm not programming that in any case. What would be the fun in destroying all the enemies in one shot?

Hope you are woking hard there mate. Anyway we need some HE rounds and anti-tank rounds. Question thought how would you be able to fire at a tank whichn is lets say 5 or 10 km away when u won't be able to see it. How will this thing be useful when a tank could wipe it out since they will have the same view distnace? Need info here.

Also a very cool video indeed there. The artillerry is really kick ass there. Also that rocket launcher would be reall welcomed if someone decided to do it. It would be a very powerful bunker breaker.

@General Carnege

Excellent work!

I'm very interested in how the russian Self-Propelled Howitzer would look like...

Only a Picture or send me a link please. smile.gif

i allready explained how it would work, its on page 3 of this thread

i'm working on the MSTA-S as we speak