Sign in to follow this  
Hellfire-rty-

reloading and changing weapons in Arma

If this is not in the right forum please move it to the correct one.

A big problem in Arma as a whole is the inability to move when reloading or switching weapons, you can do that in real life, I know as I have done it, it is practiced under combat conditions. You would never stop and just stand there when reloading. Is there any indication that this will be corrected or do we just put up with what is an annoyance in an otherwise excellent combat sim.

I guess not. If the patterns have not changed, you will soon see posts by fanb... experts saying that reloading while moving is not the right thing to do to begin with and if you find yourself in a situation where it's necessary, you deserve all the trouble you get. And that is their defensive argument against adding such arcade features in the game.

hmmm so I guess my 35 years in the military was for nothing, they taught us that in basic. What about switching weapons, I have often slung the rifle on the move and drawn the pistol.

The decision to not be able to reload and change weapons was from an engine limitation, not a design standpoint.

Bet you never used to reload your AT4's either during your 35 years? And stand still while doing so while being fired at.... whistle.gif

If you watch ArmA 2 videos you can see that that will be a feature in BIS up coming game.

Looks good.

Yes im a FAN MAN!!!

Bet you never used to reload your AT4's either during your 35 years? And stand still while doing so while being fired at....   whistle.gif

Guess I should have said magazines, not AT4 or rpgs, but then I figured you might have been able to deduce that, silly me.

Hellfire - as mentioned previously, it's an engine limitation, not a design decision.

ArmA2 will correct this, if the videos and info we have received so far has been accurate (and we have no reason to believe otherwise).

For anyone who thinks you cannot reload an M-16 or a pistol on the move, please, let me know. I'd be happy to record some footage of just that to settle the debate once and for all.

Bet you never used to reload your AT4's either during your 35 years? And stand still while doing so while being fired at.... whistle.gif

Guess I should have said magazines, not AT4 or rpgs, but then I figured you might have been able to deduce that, silly me.

Nope, was a sarcasm simply aimed towards the game. Not you....

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]For anyone who thinks you cannot reload an M-16 or a pistol on the move, please, let me know. I'd be happy to record some footage of just that to settle the debate once and for all.

I wasn't in the army, but I stayed at American Express... kidding, NA folks will understand this one wink_o.gif. I play airsoft where we use exact replicas of RL weapons. We load mags in airsoft as in RL too. Changing mags on the move is doable, but you got to be walking slowly. You can't do it on the run, espeically in a forest with logs and twigs to trip over. There is more to it than just changing clips. You got to release the mag, take out the full one from the pouch insert it in the mag well & put the empty mag back in the pouch since u'll use it later. Of course you better be in the cover while doing all this. Yet unlike in Arma if your position is compromized in RL you can displace. In ArmA now when you find a hiding spot to change your clip, you pray an enemy is not gonna just pop up in front of you. Then you are screwed, not being able to do anything till the reloading animation is over. In Arma you always choose your approach and the course of action with the thought in mind as to how long your mag will last and where you'd have to go to be in a safe position to change the mag. This in a way turns ArmA into chess - which other game has these perks in it wink_o.gif - chess and crazy lethal action in one package.

here is the ArmA2 videoclip link where I believe I saw a guy changing the clip while sidestepping - watch close. if this is what it will be like in ArmA well then is just awesome. I hope they do something with AI - it's as stupid as it's now in ArmA.

arma2 reloading link

Hellfire-rty- reloading mags/switching weapon during run and sprint (maybe under suppression fire too?) could be more like shooter games than combat sim. But on normal and slow speed it's quite usual. Hopefully BIS can figure this out - even with weapons. Otherwise ArmA2 will have reloading machineguns and AT/AA weapons whilst running icon_rolleyes.gif

Btw. there are many basics - remember "Better safe than sorry!" biggrin_o.gif

Thanks for the responses, yes I was of course referring to walking not sprinting. It is perfectly doable when walking but I would have had a hard time doing it while running, had a hard enough time with everything banging around and holding onto my other stuff to stop it flopping around. smile_o.gif

had a hard enough time with everything banging around and holding onto my other stuff to stop it flopping around.  smile_o.gif

Hey, no boasting in the forums....

Reloading could be done as a progress bar:

Standing still: Fast

Walk: Medium

Jog: Slow

Sprint: Paused

Say you were jogging and hit reload, the progress bar would go slowly, you stopped to walk and the bar speeds up, you sprint and the bar pauses and then you come to a halt and the reload finishes fast.

I believe in all the existing FPS's the reload thing is best implemented so far in Crysis. You can reload while walking or jogging. But when running reloading is inaccessible. BTW despite the overall unrealistic Robocop nature of Crysis the special effects (explosions, shockwave effects, wounding effects, concussion, "shaking camera" effect) are handled with amazing amount of care and detail. - splendid! I was/am a big proponent of implementing these effects in OFP/ArmA for years on this forum, but ppl tell me it's not as important as the MP anti-cheating features etc. Atmosphere is everything. If BIS is sweating blood creating amazing 3d world, the combat effects would have to be up high on their list as well. Original Ghost Recon did it back in 2001-2002, HL2, Americas Army, BF2 etc. A milsim doesn't have to be like chess or a boardgame.

The real world ideal is to reload under cover and not in the open.

If you find yourself with an empty weapon the first immeadiate action should be to seek cover.

The real world ideal is to reload under cover and not in the open.

If you find yourself with an empty weapon the first immeadiate action should be to seek cover.

And when that ideal situation is not possible? You know, a battlefield doesn't exactly ask a soldier what he wants to do.

Reloading while running should be possible(hell even Mark Walhberg can do it in the movie Shooter) same with changing weapon but there should be added variables to the equation such as carrying ammo in a pack and carrying weapons on your back or inside a pack. If you look at Hidden & Dangerous 2 you have the option of placing items in specific locations for use and if such a thing is modeled in Arma perhaps a slightly closer look at it might give it that edge in Arma2. eg unslinging a LAW might not require the player to stop although he will have to stop running if it is carried inside his pack(like in Bravo 2 zero). Could also go further into detail of the weapon by having stoppages as well like in Americas Army and those in most weapons can be done whilst running.