Sign in to follow this  
nullsystems

Just changing textures...

Hi all,

Ive just completed altering a few .paa files from some downloaded addons. Of course, these are all created by some other people and have their own filenames and folder names etc. So they are of no use.

What im looking to do is just change a few textures of the stock vehicles in the game, whats the easiest way to do this or do I need to remodel them?

Any help would be great as alot of tutorials are just modeling, not how to change their colors etc.

For anyone else who`s reading or searching how to do this themselves why don't you post the info rather than PM. that way everyone benefits smile_o.gif

Sorry JB, I didn't post it here because it would be like "beating a dead horse" there is a Search Function built into these forums. Sometimes you h ave to try diffrent keywords: "Retexturing","Texturing","Reskinning", etc...

It's how I learned to retexture units. If you haven't noticed the moderators around here do not like multiple posts asking the same thing over and over, and over.

With that said I am MORE than happy to help you out, by PM or MSN, Xfire.

I am in the process of putting a tutorial together with screen shots for someone else but will make it available to everyone when Im done with it. Should be today.

Thanks mate, but I don't particularly need the info myself. I just seem to have come across a spell of posts over the last month where the reply seems to have been "PM sent"

it wasn't aimed as a personal attack at your particular response. I just feel if you could have typed into a post what you typed into a PM then maybe other people searching in future could be helped.

I take on board what you say about the `search` function though, and I agree with you.

I have been a member here since late 2001 (despite what my new profile says) and I have learned most of what I know from searching and reading these forums. Never actually posting much.

I look forward to reading your tute (I just finished a 30 page one myself) and I hope it help nullsystems and others out there

smile_o.gif

Roger that JB, no offense taken ,nullsystems got a hold of me and on msn and turned out he actually knew how to do it and had used a Hex Editor before(several years back), what a pleasant surprise.

Usually the reply to that is "A Hex What?huh.gif" yay.gif

I really don't know that much about all this modding stuff but what I do know I do like share with others if they need the help, just as others in this forum have done for me. It's what makes this place a community.

The tute is still a day or two off from being done, well more like a week being I travel for work and work Thur-Sun, I leave tommorrow and sadly enough my laptop doesnt run Arma confused_o.gif

Its close sorry for not replying sooner, I work 4 out of 7 days out of town. Semester is ending at school, projects & finals..If anyone needs help before I get this done you can reach me by MSN in my profile and I can explain to you

Olson

No problem man. I understand. Good luck with school, I hope everyting works out. When you can, please post this for me, or pm it to me.

Later

Hi, i've tryed to repath the us_attachments_co.paa and peq2.rvmat

to every .pbo of the game where they're, and i can see booth in the

O2 without any problem or error message; but when i go to the game

and pick any of the weapons that use 'em (made or assembled by

me) they don't show up in game.

I've added 'em inside the addon and repathed to there; then i can

see the texture and im not sure if the .rvmat file works; but then...

i get a error message that tells me that can't find the us_attachments_nohq.paa

texture; someone knows why this happens or how to solve it, please?.

Let's C ya

Hi, this is the error message that i get when i try my weapons in game:

Bug-M4CBQ-SD.jpg

I get the same message with the texture and .rvmat file pathed to:

ca\weapons\data\us_attachment_co.paa; but i can see both without

any problem in the O2 PE. If i put all the AN-PEQ2 required textures

inside the addon in they're own folder... then i can see the _co

texture in game, but the .rvmat file don't works... or is displayed

really bad or weird. And then... i get another missing texture

error message telling me that can't find the: us_attachments_nohq.paa

that there's no visible trace about it in the O2 in any LOD. I don't

know what im doing wrong or just what's wrong, and i need that

someone help me to fix this because i can't do it myself. Let's C ya

*Edit: That last dot in the error message screenshot, is not

there in the O2 path.

Already sent by PM, but for future reference:

us_attachments_co.paa 's path is ca\weapons3\m16a4\data

AN-PEQ2's path is ca\weapons3\m16a4\data\peq2.rvmat wink_o.gif

Hi, seems that booth (.rvmat & .paa's) are too inside the:

"Ca\Weapons\Data\" folder; if what i should do to fix this annoying

bug, is to "mass rename" the textures... how i do it?, i know that

sounds silly, but is that im "a bit" silly... . Let's C ya

if what i should do to fix this annoying

bug, is to "mass rename" the textures... how i do it?

From the top of my head: In O2 PE, there's a 'tools' menu item. There's just one menu option, 'mass rename textures'. You'll get an overview of the textures, rvmat etc used. Select the one you need replaced, and fill in the new path in the lower text box in that window. Hit apply and the textures are replaced wink_o.gif

Hi, many thanks man, i guess that i must UnInstall & ReInstall the

O2 PE (release candidate) from that BI_Editing_ToolsRC3.rar and

then i hope that that feature shows up, because this is what i've

as ArmA tools (some are from the OFP days):

My Tools:

my_ArmA_tools.jpg

Let's C ya

Sorry, my bad for not being clear enough:

First you need to start up O2 PE and load the model you're editing.

Then in the top menu in O2 PE, there's the Tools -> Mass rename... feature.

After that, save the model again.

Repeat for every model to be changed.

HTH wink_o.gif

I am bringing back the dead horse, so it can be beaten.

I have tried every search possible, and still no information on this. Is this commonly know information?

So, rather than ask someone to show me step by step how to do this, I will simply ask that someone/anyone please pm the link, or site where this information can be found.

There was talk of a tut sometime ago on this topic, but this was more than a month ago, and the pm's that I send are not answered.

I love how people who ask this question on the forums and the response is: "pm sent", and then it is stated; this information is everywhere, and use the search button. LOL I have tried that belive me.

So, how the fuck are noobs supposed to get started if no one is willing to help out? This is often called an open and helpful community, so what is the problem? Is it possible that the people who know how to do this type of thing are not sharing in fear that someone will make something awesome? I thought that was the point.

WTF

No really, WTF to you .....

Did you even try typing;

hex AND texture AND edit

into the search box and selecting just the "Arma - Addons & Mods Discussion" category with "The Beginning" selected ?

I don't recommend changing textures with HEX editor. Sometimes it causes problems and messes up the whole model... S you have to be carefull about it.

Never had a problem with Hex Editor, there are a million and one programs that count characters .. heres the one I use, its a Flash program

http://www.top-shareware.net/count_my_text.html

Just copy and paste pathname in and it counts all characters... Now you can very easily use it and a Hex editor problem free...

=====================================

But if you are new to this I would definitely advise you to use O2, Characters in pathnames don't have to be same length, very easy to do, and to top it off, takes like 1/50th of the time.

Load model up in O2 and go to Tools--->Mass Texture & Materials renaming (Its only thing under Tools)

A new window will pop up with a complete list of textures & materials (.paa, .rvmat files)

Click the one you want to change you'll see it fill it in on top line at bottom, on the line under that type the path to your textures

example. yourAddon/data/us_soldier_co.paa

Then hit the button at bottom right... "Rename" and Whammo that texture is changed, now go down the line and change the ones you need to change.

Hope that helps..