Sign in to follow this  
TonyRanger

FFN MOD

Sounds awesome Tony on the "ACE can use FFN" bit, but i suffer with you my friend on the low space and specs part. confused_o.gif

You are da man though. You know it. thumbs-up.gif

Alex

hey guys ive been trying to get AI Squad leader to dig in there troops I followed the script that Tony gave me back in 08. but it dose not seem to work with the latest version of FNN :eek:. can anyone tell me what is the new script is or what im doing Wrong. plz :confused:

Hi all--not sure if anyone has noticed this or if it's just me. When in MP games with FFN running, my friends and I have noticed something weird with the rounds being shot from like tanks and such. Here is a scenario to help you understand what I mean...

My friends and I are on sahrani, in a M1 overlooking the OPFOR. I take commander slot and aim straight for an enemy soldier. I shoot off the M2 and instead of the tracers going straight out of the gun and at the direction of the enemy, it's as if there is a lot of dispersion. The tracers/rounds come from different directions--from the far left of the gun to the far right, then straight out of the barrel and then a little to the left or right, then back straight out of the barrel then far left, etc etc. It looks like I'm sweeping the gun left and right as I'm firing when I'm actually just pointing straight.

I haven't noticed this issue in the editor but really notice it in MP/online play. Could it be because we're playing non-dedicated (connecting to me with everyone running FFN) instead of a dedicated MP server? Any help, tips or hints you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. :)

-john-

PS-- oops, I forgot to mention when typing this, that we also used ACE as well.

is it just me or the AI with FFN is a much worse shot than before? or is it ACE that made them like that? also their reaction time is much much longer. they might stare at me for a good 3 seconds or more without firing a shot.

the best balance is make the AI either fire quickly but not accurately or take their time to aim but then shoot fairly well.

is it just me or the AI with FFN is a much worse shot than before? or is it ACE that made them like that? also their reaction time is much much longer. they might stare at me for a good 3 seconds or more without firing a shot.

the best balance is make the AI either fire quickly but not accurately or take their time to aim but then shoot fairly well.

Hmmmm... I felt this way in the earlier versions of ACE but now the AI is pretty wicked with the newest ACE patch and FFN. Though sometimes my AI team members act odd when I use these two together. They jump out of vehicles at strange times, only a few members not the whole group though. And this only happens occasionally. A few other strange quirks as well.

A few quick questions for you so we can figure out what's going on:

1.) Are you using anything else besides ACE and FFN?

2.) What ACE version are you playing?

3.) Which FFN replacement are you using, MP right?

4.) Do you have the most recent XEH version in the applicable Mod folders and no older versions?

manzilla, thank u so much for trying to help, buddy.

1) nope. only ACE and FFN

2) the latest. 1.07 i think. the latest.

3) latest as well. 0.83. and from that i use the MP one, yes.

4) i have ver 1.93. latest. as u can see im very up to date :) very fasionable when it comes to software.

HOWEVER, my questions -

6) im not sure how to implement the two mods together. where should i place the *.PBO files? should i place them in the @ACE\addon folder or somewhere else?

7) maybe i AM playing with the FFN and i just dont know it cuz maybe im expecting too much :P i dont know how to tell if it's working fully or not. is there a way to know if its working or not? (since i havent played ARMA without mods than its hard for me to have a point of comparison).

8) is it possible that some parts of the AI improvement are working and some dont?!

9) i tried to make a very (VERY) basic mission with the editor - placed some ACE units in a village. placed some friendlies with me and a trigger that ends the mission when all opfors are dead. should i expect that the AI will behave according to the FFN mode or will they behave vanilla?

what am i supposed to do to make all AI in the game to act like in the FFN mod?

10) can i place both TR_FFN_MP_REPLACEMENT.pbo AND FFN_REPLACEMENT_RANGE.pbo in the @ace\addon folder or should i choose?!

cuz i have them both in it. what are the consequences of putting both of them?

thanks, in the meantime, mate.

EDIT: woops. forgot no.5.

5) urrr.... how's the wife?

Edited by topeira

10) can i place both TR_FFN_MP_REPLACEMENT.pbo AND FFN_REPLACEMENT_RANGE.pbo in the @ace\addon folder or should i choose?!

FFN_REPLACEMENT_RANGE.pbo is not made for FFN mod ver.0.83 , it is for an earlier version . delete it and let only TR_FFN_MP_REPLACEMENT.pbo , other way any kind of nasty errors can happen

FFN_REPLACEMENT_RANGE.pbo is not made for FFN mod ver.0.83 , it is for an earlier version . delete it and let only TR_FFN_MP_REPLACEMENT.pbo , other way any kind of nasty errors can happen

FFN_REPLACEMENT_RANGE.pbo is supposed to make all AI work with the improved FFN code, no? if that is the case than maybe i should change the FFN mod i am using so i can use the FFN_REPLACEMENT_RANGE.pbo. is 0.82 better?

FFN_REPLACEMENT_RANGE.pbo is made for FFN mod ver 0.82 and it only enables the dodge movement when the soldier is hit, it doesn't enable FFN AI. version 0.83 of FFN mod is way much better than ver 0.82 so you'd better delete the old version and let the newest.

manzilla, thank u so much for trying to help, buddy.

1) nope. only ACE and FFN

2) the latest. 1.07 i think. the latest.

3) latest as well. 0.83. and from that i use the MP one, yes.

4) i have ver 1.93. latest. as u can see im very up to date :) very fasionable when it comes to software.

HOWEVER, my questions -

6) im not sure how to implement the two mods together. where should i place the *.PBO files? should i place them in the @ACE\addon folder or somewhere else?

7) maybe i AM playing with the FFN and i just dont know it cuz maybe im expecting too much :P i dont know how to tell if it's working fully or not. is there a way to know if its working or not? (since i havent played ARMA without mods than its hard for me to have a point of comparison).

8) is it possible that some parts of the AI improvement are working and some dont?!

9) i tried to make a very (VERY) basic mission with the editor - placed some ACE units in a village. placed some friendlies with me and a trigger that ends the mission when all opfors are dead. should i expect that the AI will behave according to the FFN mode or will they behave vanilla?

what am i supposed to do to make all AI in the game to act like in the FFN mod?

thanks, in the meantime, mate.

EDIT: woops. forgot no.5.

5) urrr.... how the wife?

6.) The best thing to do is leave only the ACE .pbo's in it's mod folder and then keep FFN in it's own mod folder as well. Just make sure you erase the extended_eventhandlers.pbo that comes in the FFN DL and put XEH v1.93 in it's place. Then make sure the target line in the ArmA shortcut you use has something similar to this:

-mod=beta;DBE1;@ACE;@FFN

7.) No, not expecting too much. When you play with FFN and ACE together you will notice a recognizable difference.

8.) Well this depends on a few factors. If using FFN and ACE together you need to use the MP FFN replacement because it essentially disables some of the features present in the SP replacement. The MP repl. is needed with ACE because the full FFN mod does have some features that will conflict with ACE. e.g. the wound system, dragging, etc. ACE already has this stuff so Tony made the MP replacement to only add stuff like ai taking cover, ai search buildings, ai evade fire, ai crew repair tracked vehicles, etc.(The SP replacement can be used when not using ACE to only use the full aspects of FFN.)

But still the compatibility of ACE and FFN isn't perfect, occasionally there's a few jitters when playing them together. But for the most part FFN is a nice compliment to ACE. I've used both nonstop since the new FFN came out.

So you will definitely notice a difference in ai behavior when you use FFN and ACE. It's a lot different from vanilla ArmA ai and it's a noticeable one.

9.)Check my answer above. But here it is again. Yes, you will notice a difference in ai behavior when using FFN, it's MP replacement and ACE. If you try Tony's example missions and then play the vanilla ArmA missions without FFN you will see the difference.

10.) I referenced this in 6.) but one thing I've never seen before is FFN_REPLACEMENT_RANGE.pbo I don't recall this file in the most recent DL of FFN.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3855

This is the newest version I think and I'm not sure if the range file was there.

What you need to do is just use FFN in it's mod folder and have these .pbos in this part of said mod folder:

@FFN/AddOns needs these files "extended_eventhandlers.pbo"(v1.93), "TR_OBJ.pbo" and "TR_FFN_MP_REPLACEMENT.pbo"

Next make sure FFN and ACE mod folders appear in your shortcut target line. Then ACE and FFN should work fine together.

If you read the last 15 pages or so of this thread the best way to set up and run ACE and FFN is discussed a lot. You can find your answers there as well. That maybe quicker. Or if you search this thread for FFN+ACE that should narrow down the thread to only FFN/ACE related discussion. This may yield helpful results even faster.

Not a problem. I'm happy to help when I can.

thanks again, manzilla. you are very very helpful guy :)

i searched the method of combining mods and got confused -

should my shortcut look like this blablabla\arma.exe -mod=beta;DBE1;@ACE;@FFN

or like this blablabla\arma.exe -mod=;@ACE;@FFN ?

what is the ;DBE1 part u added??

thanks again, manzilla. you are very very helpful guy :)

i searched the method of combining mods and got confused -

should my shortcut look like this blablabla\arma.exe -mod=beta;DBE1;@ACE;@FFN

or like this blablabla\arma.exe -mod=;@ACE;@FFN ?

what is the ;DBE1 part u added??

Ahh yes my apologies, I meant to explain that but forgot I guess.

Your shortcut should look like blablabla\arma.exe -mod=beta;DBE1;@ACE;@FFN if you are running FFN and ACE with ArmA v1.15beta patch and the Queens Gambit expansion.

If you use ACE and FFN with ArmA v1.14 and no Queens Gambit your targetline should look like:

blablabla\arma.exe -mod=@ACE;@FFN

The "DBE1;" is the folder for Queens Gambit and "beta;" should only appear if you use ArmA v1.15 beta patch.

Ahh yes my apologies, I meant to explain that but forgot I guess.

Your shortcut should look like blablabla\arma.exe -mod=beta;DBE1;@ACE;@FFN if you are running FFN and ACE with ArmA v1.15beta patch and the Queens Gambit expansion.

If you use ACE and FFN with ArmA v1.14 and no Queens Gambit your targetline should look like:

blablabla\arma.exe -mod=@ACE;@FFN

The "DBE1;" is the folder for Queens Gambit and "beta;" should only appear if you use ArmA v1.15 beta patch.

i didnt know that and i used the line suiting for 1.15, BUT i actually use 1.14. it didnt seem to cause problems for me. cant tell why its important.

couple more Qs:

1) say, do u know how i can make AIs in the editor use the FFN AI? should i add lines to the AIs? should i add way points?

2) also, if i install the FFN currectly will all the AIs in the game make a use of it or only the FFN missions AI?

1.) If you use the MP replacement, FFN ai will apply to all soldiers in game. The replacement files make it so you don't have to add anything to the init lines of each unit.

The SP replacement adds some more features of FFN to all ai units in any mission as well, but the SP replacement shouldn't be used with ACE.

I think one of the ReadMe's Tony has in the FFN DL explains all this.

2.) Just use the FFN replacement file and FFN ai is applied to ai units in game. Nothing else is need. Now, if you don't use an FFN replacement file then you have to add a bunch of stuff to the init lines of units in the mission editor, or use the TR units, etc., in order to get FFN ai to apply in game.

I have searched the thread on this so if I missed it then my apoligize. I am only a few hours into using this with ACE and I have certainly noticed a difference in reactions of AI.

My questions is: This Set Defense and Set Roadblock that gets added to my Add Actions I have a question:

1. You set it up can you not take it down? It seems to go away after setting it up?

So, you can't do it again? or Reuse it?

I'm not sure about whether or not you can take them down as well. I think I've only been able to put them up, not take down. I really don't use these two actions with ACE all that much just occasionally.

1.) If you use the MP replacement, FFN ai will apply to all soldiers in game. The replacement files make it so you don't have to add anything to the init lines of each unit.

The SP replacement adds some more features of FFN to all ai units in any mission as well, but the SP replacement shouldn't be used with ACE.

I think one of the ReadMe's Tony has in the FFN DL explains all this.

2.) Just use the FFN replacement file and FFN ai is applied to ai units in game. Nothing else is need. Now, if you don't use an FFN replacement file then you have to add a bunch of stuff to the init lines of units in the mission editor, or use the TR units, etc., in order to get FFN ai to apply in game.

1) what file is that? do u mean that if i use the TR_FFN_MP_REPLACEMENT.pbo file and put it in the @FFN\addons folder (alongside the Extended_Eventhandlers and the TR_OBJ.pbo files) than i dont need to add anything to the init files in the editor?

2) will all the units have the CQB ability of the FFN?

what im interested the most about the AI is their ability to take cover and search for the human player (while crouched) instead of just lying prone, standing up, lying prone, standing up and so on without trying to find the player.

3) is there a way to set the AI in the editor so the enemy (or friendly AI) wll actively search the enemy?

i placed enemy AIs on the map but when they discover me they dont seem to search for me that much. they kinda stay pretty much where they were spawned. should it be that way or does the FFN supposed to add them the ability to search for the enemy?

is there a command or a way to set the enemy AI that i place on the map so they will engage me actively (and search me\hunt me down) if they hear gun shots or see me? (im not too savee with the editor so im asking.)

1) what file is that? do u mean that if i use the TR_FFN_MP_REPLACEMENT.pbo file and put it in the @FFN\addons folder (alongside the Extended_Eventhandlers and the TR_OBJ.pbo files) than i dont need to add anything to the init files in the editor?

2) will all the units have the CQB ability of the FFN?

what im interested the most about the AI is their ability to take cover and search for the human player (while crouched) instead of just lying prone, standing up, lying prone, standing up and so on without trying to find the player.

3) is there a way to set the AI in the editor so the enemy (or friendly AI) wll actively search the enemy?

i placed enemy AIs on the map but when they discover me they dont seem to search for me that much. they kinda stay pretty much where they were spawned. should it be that way or does the FFN supposed to add them the ability to search for the enemy?

is there a command or a way to set the enemy AI that i place on the map so they will engage me actively (and search me\hunt me down) if they hear gun shots or see me? (im not too savee with the editor so im asking.)

1.) Yes that's the one.

2.)Yes, using the FFN MP replacement will apply FFN CQB AI to units automatically. As long as you have this file+TR_OBJ+XEH in the @FFN/AddOns folder all units in any mission will have FFN AI. They will find cover, search for you, etc. As long as you use the FFN MP replacement file you do not need to do anything else to get FFN AI to work in game.

3.) No nothing else needs to be done. They should search for you. I use FFN+ACE and the enemy AI search for me.

im gonna keep playing and testing. i think i have everything working.

manzilla, u have been a great help and i appreciate it a lot. thanks for the patience. :)

im gonna keep playing and testing. i think i have everything working.

manzilla, u have been a great help and i appreciate it a lot. thanks for the patience. :)

It's my pleasure.

1) say, manzilla - the reaction time of the AI seems slow. the look at me but in many cases the dont open fire or it takes them really long to open fire. is there a reason for that ?

also, is there a way to speed their reaction time?

i set the AI bar to the highest. doesnt help. the AI still reacts pretty slowly. and it isnt a really good shot either though if they DID react as fast as i do than i wouldnt mind they are not THAT good of a shot.

since they react so slowly (or not at all) than they are too easy, i think.

2)also, what is the "super AI" in the difficulty settings?

1.) I can't say I've seen this. My experiences with FFN AI is that they are pretty tough. Are you using any other AddOns/Mods?

2.) No clue. Never used it.

AI reaction is a bit slow, but faster than regular AI.

AI also surpresses the hell out of you.

AI will take cover, but because the AI calculates in meters, they cannot get "exact" cover.

well , im sorry but i didnt encounter any AI taking cover and they dont seem anything interesting or good to me.

all they do when engaged is occasionally lie down and often crouch, sidestep left and right a bit and fire at me. the vids on youtube by tonyranger made it look like the AI will look for the player and hunt him down.

i must say that playing one of the original FFN missions (first one when u r in a village and there are 20 hostiles around u and an officer that u need to kill) the AI seemed good in the sense that they looked for me.

when i create editor missions and just throw AIs in it seems like if the AI dont see eachother than they wont try and look for eachother not to mention they do nothing like in this clip:

i dont know. maybe im still doing something wrong.

my shortcut looks like this: E:\games\ArmA\arma.exe -nosplash -mod=@FFN (i disabled ACE to see if it has any affect on the mod)

maybe i have unneseccary file in the \ArmA\AddOns folder but i doubt it. i dont know how to check if i do or dont though :(

should i have the

Extended_Eventhandlers.pbo

and

Extended_Eventhandlers.pbo.SLX_XEH2.bisign

file there (in the main addons)?

i dont have any TR files there and naturally no ACE files since ACE installed intesf to the @ACE filder....

Edited by topeira