Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

Lets have the "jap" debate again

ok.. here is the topic.. the term "Jap".. is it racist??

ok.. my standing is NO.. it should not be considered racist  here are my reasons:

1: its not slang, its an abbreviation.. just like "Brit" for Brittish, "Scot" for scottish.. etc etc.. if jap is offensive, why not Brit and Scot..etc?

2: some say its mean because thats what the soldiers fighting the Japanese called them..  so what? as #1 points out.. its not slang, its an abbreviation..

3: some say its a offensive term because it was used to negativly depice the Japanese in WW2..  Well  lets examine that.. by comparison..

remember the Jews? during the occupation "Jew" was considered to be an insult.. calling someone a "jew" then was considered to the germans to be the same as calling someone a Nazi today is.. but you can say Jew today with no ill looks.. but not jap.. and Jap was never used as an insult.. just a lable.. for the japanese..

ok lets take it a step further.. who were the Jews, where were the "japs"

the Jews were opressed.. hell they were slated for exetinction.. the Japanese however raped and entire city, started a war with an undeclared attack and the urdered thousands of civliians and POWs..  so if you were to label a term offensive.. why not "jew" afterall they were the innocent, hwoever the Japs.. were by all means the "bad guy" why do they deserve to have the abbreviation made taboo? nobody ows them anything...

...  ok now lets get practical.. spelling and word length..

British= 6 letters. brit=4.. a little mor convienent..

Scottish= 8 letters scot=4 even better

Japanese=8 letters Jap = 3.. wow.. and easier to spell too..

so it makes sense.. its easier to say, spell and write.. but some people will freak out.. why?

Oh BTW "because its wrong" is a bullshit "reason" (mindless excuse) provde real reason and logic to your argument or dont bother..

P.S. I dont necessarly agree with using Jap, thats just the side of the argument I choose.

excellent.. what do you think? I knew a friend who was Japanese (american born though) and he didnt mind the term "jap".. he said he didnt gather how it could be offensive.. he even used it..

well,i'm american born too. smile.gif , I don't really know asian people.Soo don't ask me,but i feel like if someone says it's wrong to say it ,maybe it is wrong,Not because it's doesn't feel wrong to you,but maybe because it feels wrong to them.Like saying the Nig*** to a black person when your white,other.But black people say it to each other all the time.

I would also add that i'am like 2 others things too other then just a jap. smile.gif,but jap doesn't hurt my feelings ,but it might hurt someone else feelings.Maybe it doesn't hurt my feelings because i don't really care about race.i don't know.Too much PC in the world today.

actually international abbreviation is 'jpn'...but you can't pronounce it.....however, word 'jap' was definitely used as derogatory term and still carries a bit of it today.

just out of curiousity....shouldnt americans be called united-staters or something, since america is a continent and includes a lot of nations...

also, why is "yank" seen offensive by some usa'ers?...it is not a insult far as i know and doesnt refer to anything negative, but my knowledge of american history is somewhat limited.

we here are often called euros...and with the eu bringing us closer and closer it might be a correct term...but that is not the case with usa and america.

anyways...i am finnish and have lived in sweden most part of my life, when i am called "finne" by the swedes or someone else, it depends on the tone of the voice or attitude of the speaker whether he sees a smile from me or feels my shoe in his mouth.

when you spit out the word "jap" it is offensive, same with jews.....like when a woman says "men..." with THAT voice.

personally i only use "racial insults" only towards good friends, and only for them and as a joke, not when speaking about them for others....

so it is not really the word as such, it is how it is used.

yeah weird that "jap" does sound very racist but when u mention brit, scot, yank, etc then i suppose it isnt.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pete @ Feb. 24 2002,12:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">like when a woman says "men..." with THAT voice.<span id='postcolor'>

You mean like when a man says "women..." with THAT voice?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 24 2002,12:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pete @ Feb. 24 2002,12:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">like when a woman says "men..." with THAT voice.<span id='postcolor'>

You mean like when a man says "women..." with THAT voice?<span id='postcolor'>

exactly, and what makes it worse is that it aint even abreveated as jap, brit, scot and such....

Yank is indian for thief (serious!wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedStorm @ Feb. 24 2002,14:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yank is indian for thief (serious! )<span id='postcolor'>

Websters says:

[1750-60, Amer.; perh. back formation from D Jan

Kees John Cheese (taken as pl.), nickname applied

by the Dutch of colonial New York to English

settlers in Connecticut]

Okay, I hope I dont get stoned for my preposition! Why dont we put up a list a list of funny names that we use to call people from other nations (as long as they are not insulting or bear a heavy historical load). But no discrimination please.

I know that we germans are sometimes called by some of our Surnames, such as  Franz, Horst aso. In the UK and Ireland they call us Krauts ( I guess because of Sauerkraut, which I havent eaten for 15 years).

I remember something like Thomys for either Americans or UK people (dont realy know)

In Mexico they use the Gringo thing which I think comes from Green-go (soldier).

In Thailand (partially Burma and Kambodja) they call us "fallangs" which is nothing else than decades of evolution of the word "foreigners" (so nothing bad with that).

For the french we say "Franzos", which is nothing else than a French saying: "a french" in German (with a french accent).

You know any "none" insultive names for people from other nations?

wink.gif

Yank or Yankee is derogitory to Southerners in the states, many do not wish to associated with the Yankees who burned and pillaged Georgia during the civil war. Southerners should be termed "rebs" after the term Jonny Reb. Also Texans often consider them selves separate from Americans, often refering to the state of Texas as the Rebublic of Texas.

well from the area that i come from, the original boston in england these are the name that i know of used in my area

these are not meant to offend anybody, if they do i appologise

american = Yank

French = frogs

Germans = krauts, jerries

liverpoole area = scousers

newcastle area = geordies

russians = our drunken friends eg vodka

Monty Python said it very nicely :-)

in the song "Never be rude to an arab":

Never be rude to an Arab,

An Isreali, or Saudi, or Jew.

Never be rude to an Irishman,

No matter what you do.

Never poke fun at a Nigger,

A Spic, or a Wop, or Kraut.

And never poke fun at at...

)at this point the singer is shot)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pete @ Feb. 24 2002,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">just out of curiousity....shouldnt americans be called united-staters or something, since america is a continent and includes a lot of nations...

also, why is "yank" seen offensive by some usa'ers?...it is not a insult far as i know and doesnt refer to anything negative, but my knowledge of american history is somewhat limited.

we here are often called euros...and with the eu bringing us closer and closer it might be a correct term...but that is not the case with usa and america.

anyways...i am finnish and have lived in sweden most part of my life, when i am called "finne" by the swedes or someone else, it depends on the tone of the voice or attitude of the speaker whether he sees a smile from me or feels my shoe in his mouth.

when you spit out the word "jap" it is offensive, same with jews.....like when a woman says "men..." with THAT voice.

personally i only use "racial insults" only towards good friends, and only for them and as a joke, not when speaking about them for others....

so it is not really the word as such, it is how it is used.<span id='postcolor'>

i don't know,But theres like million different types of breeds in america,all breeeds want to be called something,Like irish american,africa america,japanese america, ADD HERE,INDIAn american,italian american,middle east american,and Me a mix breed,There's soo much more to add.. smile.gif,to me it's just american ,because i don't really care,But if someone ask me what i'am i'll tell them. smile.gif....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Feb. 24 2002,18:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's racism, you should be banned.<span id='postcolor'>

Who, me?

You kidding right?

I hope you haven't interpreted Monty Pythons sketch as being rascist.

Of course I was kidding. Since some people cannot understand a joke without a smiley: biggrin.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Feb. 24 2002,19:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why are we called Jerries?

Anyone has a name for a swiss?  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Gerries - sounds like Germans

A name for the Swiss? Kukoos? Matildas? Alpos? Heck, I'd like to call you Toblerones! smile.gif

Also Texans often consider them selves separate from Americans, often refering to the state of Texas as the Rebublic of Texas.

by "often" do you mean the 5 you once saw on the news?

gimme a break

biggrin.gif

we hicks aint like that! tounge.gif