Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Making of Operation Flashpoint article

Did you sit in a time-machine while they were working on their previous games?  wink_o.gif

Always interesting to read what happend behind the scenes. Thanks  smile_o.gif

Yap, good read. Had my laughs...

Quote[/b] ]and they’re one of the more gloriously eccentric and constantly enthusiastic developers
wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Did you sit in a time-machine while they were working on their previous games?

No, but I also owned a Ti 99 4A after I had my fun with a Sinclair ZX81 smile_o.gif

This seems to be ages ago. Well, I guess it IS ages ago wow_o.gifsad_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Very nice. Thanks.

Just as good as behind the scenes part of BI Website with the man and breifcase (wondering if they have a new one for arma yet :P ).

interesting read, always will love OFP, as it has helped me forge some great friendships because of it biggrin_o.gif

All these OFP diedhard souls, who don't paint a pretty ArmA picture. I did OFP and I now do some ArmA.. am I missing something here? I Like ArmA and yet I see people say roll on ArmA2?? I wish someone could do a feature chart so I know what I ma missing out on (if I am missing out). People always dwell in the past. They forget a whole new lump of code ie OFP_R was released after OFP. I hope this is not coming across as trolling, I just need closure in a transition smile_o.gif

Excelent article, txs for the link.

i have to agree, for me OFP is still the best PC game ever made.

On a sidenote, despite the shaky start Arma has had, last week i played a couple of missions online with a modified config (zeus server) that precognize a bright future for Arma, it felt like the old familiar OFP, specificaly the WGL League, but with plenty of eyecandy, i assume that as time goes by us gamers will adapt to Arma as we did to OFP, and no doubt that BIS will support Arma as it did to Flashpoint.

Blog article:

Quote[/b] ]This incremental approach is very much Bohemia’s philosophy. “We always believed in designing by play,†Marek says, “It’s nice to write a document, but I don’t believe a document can actually describe the game.

Gamasutra article:

Quote[/b] ]2.Documentation

Lack of documentation is a common affliction among game developers, but some aspects of this problem were so severe in our case that they are worth mentioning.

I think there's a lesson to be learned here... tounge2.gif

I am not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you think those two sentences are contradictory, I think they are not.

Design document is something which you write before you write a game, describing how the game will work, how it will look, how it will... ... and they is becomes obsolete as the game really grows, because the things written in the design document, once you really seen them, are not that good as you expected when you was inventing them.

Documentation on the other hand is something you write while you work at the game (or perhaps even after, but while is usually better), describing how the game works, looks, ....