Sign in to follow this  
snkman

Command to find out how long a vehicle is burning?

Hey guy's,

since ArmA burning and smoking times of destroyed vehicles are very randomly.

A UAZ is burning for 60 sec. + -

A Truck is burnng for 80 sec. + -

A Tank is burning for 130 sec. + -

And a Chopper is burning for 150 sec. + -

So is there a way to find out how long a vehicle is burning exactly?

Like a variable, where the buning time of the vehicle is saved or something like that?

This should be defined in the config and there are new script

commands available to read the config.

Sorry i am not able to provide more specific infos, but that

should give you a start. smile_o.gif

This doesn't answer your question, but may be related to your end goal.

I wrote a simple script to keep objects burning longer.  It simply createVehicle's an identical object, setdammages it to 1 (so it is burning), then replaces the current burning vehicle.  It does this every 10 seconds, until a duration passed in as a parameter expires, then the burning stops.

So if you use this script, you will know how long the vehicle will burn, because you set the duration parameter.

Link to script at ofpec:

http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depo....&cat=fx

Thanks for the replay guy's. smile_o.gif

Well if there's a way like Q sad with directly reding it from the config, then this would be cool, becouse less script's = less cup usage.

I will see, what i can do with your script JohnnyBoy it's a beginning and much better then the way i had so far.

Instead of spawn dead vehicles all the time why not run the ingame FG.sqs which i believe is the burn effect for vehicles..?

Making fires using particle effects also has a cost.  Which is more effective I don't know.  This was just the simplest way for me to solve this particular problem at the time.

I haven't done any stress testing on this, but I've had five or six of these fires going at once in a busy mission (using the spawn and replace technique)--and with many other scripts, triggers, and waypoints running--with no noticeable performance issue.

Whether this technique scales or not, I couldn't say.

I can say that some particle fires don't look as good sometimes, especially at night, unless you also add light sources to the fires.

Making fires using particle effects also has a cost. Which is more effective I don't know. This was just the simplest way for me to solve this particular problem at the time.

I haven't done any stress testing on this, but I've had five or six of these fires going at once in a busy mission (using the spawn and replace technique)--and with many other scripts, triggers, and waypoints running--with no noticeable performance issue.

Whether this technique scales or not, I couldn't say.

I can say that some particle fires don't look as good sometimes, especially at night, unless you also add light sources to the fires.

the script i was referring to is the BIS script for the burning vehicles.

@Junker

Whats the exec code for the fg.sqs. Tried to run it but it moaned bout it was expecting 3 args.

Cheers

GC

Its in the same place as the camera script so i guess it can be accessed.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">;//Several variables are initialized.

_object = ObjNull

_isObject = (_this select 1)

_intensity = (_this select 2)

_density = (_this select 3)

_mode = (_this select 4)

_lifetime = (_this select 5)