Sign in to follow this  
chris330

ArmA Collision Detection

Hi lads,

I've long since decided I will never be a programmer but I did have some succes with Flashpoint scripting and I was wondering how good ArmA's collision detection and AI routing is as I might buy it and get back into the scripting scene if it's any good.

Couldn't get on with things in flashpoint like AI not running upstairs and the like, so how does ArmA fair in comparison? Is the AI easier to maniuplate, even if it has to be done directly with scripts? Or is ArmA bascially Flashpoint but prettier?

Thanks in advance for any help offered, pm me if you want smile_o.gif

The only thing I can add to this really is anecdotal: I was busy sniping from a hotel roof one time, and after about 10 minutes I was shot from directly behind me by an AI who had climbed all the stairs in the hotel and out onto the roof.

I wasn't expecting that to happen smile_o.gif

The only thing I can add to this really is anecdotal: I was busy sniping from a hotel roof one time, and after about 10 minutes I was shot from directly behind me by an AI who had climbed all the stairs in the hotel and out onto the roof.

doesnt that just suck

you still have the problems of running through walls and AI tend to get stuck for a few seconds. its improved but not to the point to where you go "WOW... its really improved" biggrin_o.gif

AI also don't like to go over bridges. They prefer to go swimming instead, or destroy their vehicles by driving them straight into the water rather than drive along the bridge. crazy_o.gif

AI also don't like to go over bridges.  They prefer to go swimming instead, or destroy their vehicles by driving them straight into the water rather than drive along the bridge.  crazy_o.gif

Thats only on some bridges some of the time. I've had numerous encounters where AI have driven armour and APCs over bridges directly at me (though with a brief pause before-hand), when I was sure they'd be halted indefinately by the seemingly impassable bridge.

AI also like driving over destroyed bridges without crashing...havent figured that one out my truck never has the auto hover button available

It happened to me, in other places, too and it was quite suprising (in a good way.) smile_o.gif Even though I got shot, it was because of my own carelessness.

But I still get shot very frequently by enemy AI that just go directly through walls (happens in almost every mission where I enter buildings and wait inside), so it still has major, major problems, too. banghead.gif

That's a bit of a shame to hear lads. I looked deep into this in Flashpoint and found that the soldiers had a base animation for whatever they were doing such as walking or whatever and the animation once started absolutely had to complete even if that meant them walking through walls and the like. Try putting an AI at the top of some stairs in flashpoint and scripting a running animation and he'll run straight out of the building into thin air and remain suspended.

I'm sure I could script something if only an animation could be made small enough which of course means having to edit anims which as I'm sure you lads will know aint easy. Of course the scope would be limited.

It sounds like they're using a very similar platform to Flashpoint on this one which is a little disappointing. Would it be worth me bothering or should I look for another game to try and edit?

It sounds like they're using a very similar platform to Flashpoint on this one which is a little disappointing. Would it be worth me bothering or should I look for another game to try and edit?

There hardly isnt any other game whit this type of mod community existing. ArmA is always a worth to play and do things whit its engine even it isnt in some cases so big steps forward from OFP.

well someone say that it isnt, but i just dont give a shit, as if it is not something like flashpoint which i have played for 5 years, i would have been stop playing it for a long long time

Is anything going to be done about the AI walking through walls and vehicles? I had one walk through a wall, shoot my mate, walk back into the wall then out again at a different part to shoot me!

I suspect the AI soldiers don't have any actual environmental collision detection to prevent them from walking through objects, it would waste cpu time. It's easier to have the AI itself just telling them not to walk through objects (since you need to be telling them where they should be going anyway).

A good example is building paths. Once the AI is on one of these paths they can walk through absolutely anything (at least they could a few patchs ago). Paths are needed since the AI tells the AI (units) not to walk within the 2d footprint of an object.

Well it's fairly annoying. We blocked an entrance to a courtyard once witha car and the AI just ghosted through it and killed us all. Hardly realsim at its finest.

I agree with you there, I made a wall in the editor to allow ai only to attack from an entrance I wanted. During testing it was attack of the ghosts as they ran through the wall. Island objects seem ok though?

I'd rather the AI clip through the occasional object than become stuck on virtually nothing ruining hours of military planning.

Btw, collision detection or pathfinding?