Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Proper V3 Setup?

Can anybody explain to me how to setup Visitor 3 properly?

I've read the Biki manual, but for some reason I find it very hard to understand, also this P:\ drive, where is it?

You have to create P:\ by using something like subts P: C:\mystuff

I use a bat file which looks like this

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

LoadENV.bat

subst p: C:\CWR

subst u: C:\BIS\u

subst b: C:\BIS\b

Sorry, Hoz but I didn't understand that at all. Could you not go into the Setting and point to a directory you want?

Look in 'My computer' \ HHD and you should see P:\ drive

Inside there you should see the visitor3 files

But i'm stumped on the rest!

mine wouldn't show up either after I installed the thing, so I went into my armawork folder (in documents n settings i believe) and found something called mapdisk. Clicked it and nothing happened, but when I looked next I suddenly had a p: drive...

I know, it's a nooby explanation, but that's what I did.

The mapdisk.bat just makes an imaginary drive in this example it makes a P: drive which is actually /mydocuments/armawork/ . Some people are having problems getting it to work so try putting it in startup folder as mentioned in another thread.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Hope this helps someone.

Object settings are stored in the pew file, so every object has to manually imported into each terrain project you start. Unfortunately it seems that once started, a projects dimensions, cell size and satellite settings can not be changed, so you want to get them right before importing all those objects...

The installation of the programs has to be done as administrator. The installer creates the environment for this user account (administrator). If you use the programs as some other user (probably non-administrator), then the environment is not set for you. It's a mistake by BIS I say. The programs has to be installed as administrator, and the installer creates registry keys (for example the path to external viewer, ArmA, is set up at installation stage for the admin) and sets up the mapdisk.bat thingy for the administrator, which makes the p:\ drive appear in every login, but only for the admin... That won't help one bit if you use some other user account to use the programs... you really shouldn't use an administrator account all the time so it's not your fault.

By the way, Visitor 3 crashes everytime I close it smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

By the way, Visitor 3 crashes everytime I close it

Disconnect and then close buldozer first, then close Visitor.

Planck

Quote[/b] ]

By the way, Visitor 3 crashes everytime I close it

Disconnect and then close buldozer first, then close Visitor.

Planck

Hmm... I'm quite sure it didn't matter if buldozer was running or not...

...one thing I noticed was that when I started Visitor 3 as an administrator, it didn't crash then! It actually crashed when I tried to save a file (crashed while writing the file, I checked the file in hex editor and it looked like the file wasn't written completely) or exited the program, so it turned out that it was impossible to use the program as non-administrator to create worlds.

I'll test it again when I get into Windows, but for sure it can be called a bug of Visitor 3 if it requires me to run it as administrator or otherwise the program crashes on save/exit.

Other programs (not from BIS) work fine on this computer and operating system.