Sign in to follow this  
homer9

first secondary mission

am stuck on this mission i am looking for the documents first but i cant find them in any of the camps to the in the red area on the map. then when i try to do the primary mission i always get shot. i try to place a satchel at the first shilka and pick off the men then blow up the bmps with the lancher but i usally get shot anyhelp plz

It's strange you can't find the documents. Move to the camp northways, by the shore. The documents are in a shed, which is in the southern side of the camp. There's a group of soldiers near it, so it shouldn't be too hard to locate the documents.

After that, move south to the enemy base. There's a hill north of the base, climb on that. You should have one satchel and a RPG with three rockets. Place the satchel near the Shilka, do it by crawling, so no-one will see you. There's a standing enemy soldier and a two-man patrol near the Shilka, you should take the lone soldier out and wait until the patrol has gone away for a moment. After you placed the satchel, climb back onto the hill. You can take out the rest of the tanks with RPG, by using the hill edge as a cover. Target the tank near the camp fire first, since the blast will take some enemy soldiers out, too. They rarely fire you, so you should do it after a few tries. Remember that you have only one rocket per tank, so no misses allowed!

Hint: You could have used the "Search" button of this forum. Others have also had their problems with this mission solved in other topics.

Homer9:

I share your pain, I had a lot of trouble with this.  Gotcha's ideas are the correct way to go about the problem, but I stumbled onto another way which worked well for me, at least when I was playing the version out of the box (I haven't tried it with the 1.08 patch yet).

If you want to try something different than Gotcha's solution, in the camp where the BMP's and ZSU's are, crawl up to one of the parked trucks, get in, and proceed to run everyone over.  I first did this because I wanted revenge for them killing me so much, figuring I would die immediately, but for some reason they never shot at me.  I had success with this with both the Ural and UAZ, but I liked the Ural better because it seemed to finish them off a little better.  This was before I discovered the "e" key to go fast when driving; I only used the "w" key so sometimes it would just bump the enemy, they'd scream, then crawl around and so some I had to run over a couple times to finish them off.  Don't remember if backing over them helped.  Once you've cleaned out the camp, take your time planting the one satchel and then get on the hill to shoot the armor.

Trick is though to stay in the driver's spot.  One time for fun I switched to the mounted machine gun while driving the UAZ, but as soon as I fired I got killed.  Also, for some reason running them over only works at the armor camp, it won't work at the ammo dump or the camp with the helo.

Again not sure if this works with 1.08 but with the 1.06 that came with the game it worked like a champ.

I too couldnt find the documents, so since it wasnt my primary objective, I gave up. I did the primary objective by running toward the camp with the helo. I killed all guys at the ammunition camps and placed satchel charges there. the last ammunition camp is just north of the base with the helo- I killed them and placed a charge at the munitions. Then I crawled very carefully toward the helo and was unnoticed. when I was 20 yards away from helo, I got up and ran inside. I took off and flew a short distance from the camp and blew the charges at the ammo camps. Then I flew to the armor camp and decimated it very easily. Once I had the objective complete, I flew home and landed! I had been killed many times before I tried this and was quite pleased with the devestation I caused those poor imbeciles who vainly attempted to run for thier lives while rockets exploded all around them

-it works

Do the secondary missions actually count? Do they realy make a difference? I tried a few but some were so difficult, i just skipped them and finished the main mission anyway.

Indeed, provided you take care of the Shilka and machine-gun wielding SLA infantryman with the MI17, you should have plenty of rockets to deal with the remaining armour, and even shoot down the responding KA-50 with a well-placed rocket.

hmmm...well i tried this one, but pussied out 'cos it was too hard. lol

I still managed to do the real mission after it.

Do the secondary missions actually count?  Do they realy make a difference?  I tried a few but some were so difficult, i just skipped them and finished the main mission anyway.

they make some difference but not a whole lot. all they really do is just give you more missions and a sense that your doing something that will effect the longterm goal.

a few do really help though

I bet the "snipe the officer at the hotel" mission really impacts on the next mission, as he is in charge of an armored squad, therefore no tanks on the following mission (why the rest of the squad wouldn't still carry on is beyon me though).

I wonder what QB's missions will offer us.

You can get more rockets(rounds) for the AT4 out of the boat that just dropped you off.  You do not have to start with only three.

Put the satchel on the boat and carry as many rockets as you can plus one mag for the rifle.

spoiler allert :

or, in the camp with the documents,   steal the mi-17, and use it's rockets to close down the armour camp ( and anything else you find that ain't either friendly or non combatants )

smile_o.gif     thats the way i did this mission,   and it realy didn't atke me that long either

spoiler allert :

or, in the camp with the documents,   steal the mi-17, and use it's rockets to close down the armour camp ( and anything else you find that ain't either friendly or non combatants )

smile_o.gif     thats the way i did this mission,   and it realy didn't atke me that long either

LOL!

Isn't tere a shilka though? crazy_o.gif

never had mutch problem with it, it ain't manned til you start fiering, so just make sure you nail it first, and you do have a ton of rockets to use, a shame to leave the chopper with ammo left, ain't it?

pistols.gif

hehehe

Color me old-fashioned, but I tried to execute the mission as ordered. biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif Different strokes, and all that.

The way I worked it was to cross the "valley" between the two hills near the armor and take out the one guard by the barbed wire first. Sneak down and place the charge near the "second" armor in - not the Shilka. Figured there'd be plenty of time to take that out as I got out of dodge.

So, I exit back down the valley and climb the hill closer to the coast. Take out one armor, hit the detonator, reload, hit the other armor, then indian run away down the hill, reload, and hit the shilka from the far side of the hill. Some rounds inbound, sneak out to the treeline and traverse north, avoiding the helo and the truck that comes looking for me.

Oh - I also snipe the guys at that closest camp and get more ammo and another AT4 round. Move north to the east side of the secret document/helo camp. Snipe the .50s on the east side, traverse to the other side of the ridge and west to a position to snipe the soldiers around the helo.

About that time, I used the AT4 to take out the Havoc. smile_o.gif First try, and I think I got a bit lucky. But the dude had a somewhat predictable pattern of coming into a hover, then taking off in a certain direction. Just a matter of timing, and luck accounting for range (although the AT4 flies pretty "flat").

Take out the last remaining guy in the camp, find the docs in the camoflage netting thing, and take off in the helo. Thought about leaving a friendly reminder of my visit in the camp, but was really more interested in getting back to the base! smile_o.gif