Sign in to follow this  
shinden1

ARMA GDCE 1.00 by shinden

From the readme:
Quote[/b] ]New squadmembers will have a low random skill level...sometimes even 0...there's nothing I can do to stop you from shooting poorly skilled recruits and getting new ones...

It can be solved. I just never thought someone would exploit on this. It can be made through a "killed" eventhandler. If a squadmate is killed and the killer is the player, he gets court martial or whatever. It would be even better if he kills 2 guys in a relatively short interval, because you could kill a team member accidentally in battle and it would be bad if you would be court martialled for that.

I did...once... crazy_o.gif . I'll put it in the 'possible additions' list, maybe a remove all weapons, external camera shot  with player in test surrender and spawning an officer who raises his pistol and executes the player...that would be fun  wink_o.gif

A remark:

You wrote that the AI strength is scalable and depending on the player value level.  That is acceptable, because the game starts easy and when you show good results it gets harder.

But IMHO, maybe it would be better to make it dependable on enemy support instead on player value. This way, enemy strength would be mainly reverse than in the first case, but I find this more realistic. When the enemy has high support, it has better equipment and better trained troops. Once you soften it (support drops), in future mission you should see only a faint shadow of the former troops. Just my 5 cents. So you get rewarded for good results with lower enemy resistance.

This was my first thought as well, but I decided to use value since it was simpler and I could give myself and a mission maker more control over the results. I upped the requirements and costs to use support considerably, with the idea being, with more enemies, the player would need to use support, cutting into his value gains...basically as the player continues, the speed at which he gains value may decrease. Honestly, I just let the strength of the enemy take a backseat to giving the player the feeling of a escalating conflict, think WWII from 39-42...actually WWII escalated to a bang...but that was a different conflict than any we would never hope to see. A decent multi-phase, where the strength of the enemy account for available pool of resources maybe with each successive mission...but that's way ahead of my focus right now.

I have more plans for the 'difficulty' system making it smoother and more dynamic, so I'll probably incorporate support into the system in some way.

I'm glad you like flight sims...I'm a flight sim junkie myself, Il-2...dying for SOW...soon oleg...this (and OFP) is really the first FPS I've ever played that ever gave me a feeling like 'immersion' or tactical planning the way even a typical flight sim does for me, so I've been enjoying it.

Nice job on conversion shinden1 and good to also see  kutya smile_o.gif

I was big GDCE fan for OFP and lovin that it's on ARMA now. I had problem in my second mission in that once I completed it, I never got an extraction option and I was far to far to walk tounge2.gif

Gotta admit i was using many mods as well. Anybody else encounter this?

Do you remember the mission? I'll check the script...after the conversion, radio options were a little out of wack...a big problem is that ARMA itself often doesn't heed it's own commands, such as...facing the officer no mission...turn and come back...there it is!

If you have any mod requiring a radio select, it might affect it...I think to override you would have to put something directly in the mission.sqm though.

I was big GDCE fan for OFP and lovin that it's on ARMA now. I had problem in my second mission in that once I completed it, I never got an extraction option and I was far to far to walk tounge2.gif

Do you remember the mission? I'll check the script...after the conversion, radio options were a little out of wack...a big problem is that ARMA itself often doesn't heed it's own commands, such as...facing the officer no mission...turn and come back...there it is!

If you have any mod requiring a radio select, it might affect it...I think to override you would have to put something directly in the mission.sqm though.

Yes it was the 'Ambush' mission and yes the mod I'm using does use radio indirectly so maybe that was the culprit.

Just to note that the other radio options 'Medvac'/ 'smoke screen' were present but no 'Extraction' option was given despite objective completed.

Yes it was the 'Ambush' mission and yes the mod I'm using does use radio indirectly so maybe that was the culprit.

Just to note that the other radio options 'Medvac'/ 'smoke screen' were present but no 'Extraction' option was given despite objective completed.

That's probably it. you didn't mention status either, which is the first radio slot, Extraction is the 2nd. Unfortunately GDCE uses all 10 radio slots, so you would have to give up something. There's another way, but and on OFP it would be easy, but with ARMA we have to use a jackhammer and a bulldozer to add and remove a simple action...If your interested just PM me and I we can test out a method I thought of.

hi .  smile_o.gif

i tried to test the template with DAC enabled. i love this thing !

but i have no sound working. only bullet case droping on the floor.

then i attempted to enable DAC in the demo mission , but without success. black screen , it doesnt start. so i presume dac isn't still functional ?

Nope, sorry, DAC was intended for my next version, but the bugs were so big that I had to get a version out now. DAC will probably be waiting till 1.05...

What are the main differences between this and Mrn's version

where they are installed really...both of ours have the same roots...Tacrod's COin and DMA SP template. MrN's Dynamic war was designed to work as a singleplayer mission and be stable enough to be saved and reloaded in ARMA. GDCE runs in the campaign folder and uses a script to save major variables, it's also designed to be adaptable to multi-mission campaign. Gameplay wise, can't think of much difference, Dynamic War allows you to earn a chose mission dialog box and implements things like mando's missles, enemy artillery, amd FX, there's a lot more that's been done to it from initial conversion. all I've added to GDCE is the Rearm dialog box (method for creation I pretty much got from dynamic war) and simple scalable difficulty.

Well thanks for the template anyway, When I become more experienced with the editor I plan to convert this mission into ww2 or something.

Hi.

I'm playing the mission now and it's working very well.

I guess you forget to mention the mission use the Mapfact Radio wich is here:

Mapfact Misc

I'm going back to defend Corazol pistols.gif

Had a chance to play a little really enjoy it takes me back to the old days (last year) when i used to play this in ofp.

I was wondering do you have civilians spawning in it yet like in the ofp version. You used to have to be carefull not to hit civs i really enjoyed this made it quite tense. I didnt notice any in the few missions I did. Will play more today. Looking forward to DAC working.

Hi.

I'm playing the mission now and it's working very well.

I guess you forget to mention the mission use the Mapfact Radio wich is here:

Mapfact Misc

I'm going back to defend Corazol pistols.gif

goodness, your right!!! I'll update the readme right away, honestly I should have known that the radio was added, I'm not an original OFP player (I have it now) and I thought the radio model was from BIS when actually I just happen to have MAP-misc in my addons folder...

I learn something new everyday.

shinden1:

Excellent work! This and Dynamic War along with MP games keep this game fresh! I have never done any editing before and was wondering how to add a couple of Strykers to your West Demo Campaign?

very interesting indeed smile_o.gif i've had some issues like enemies appearing in water and missions ending even before starting (like a mission in wich i had to rescue the survivors of an attack but they were all dead before the officer stop to talk ) but overall is excellent. it would be nice if a soldier could pick up the radio in case the soldier carriying it dies ( i think only works in the original soldier now) .looking forward to next releases thumbs-up.gif

shinden1:

Excellent work! This and Dynamic War along with MP games keep this game fresh! I have never done any editing before and was wondering how to add a couple of Strykers to your West Demo Campaign?

Hi! to add the strykers to your initial pool of vehicles will require you to move the mission folder to my documents\arma\missions and editing the vehicles in the ARMA editor. Don't delete anything, just change their type.

This is really somewhat of a pain and I dislike this aspect of ARMA editing intensely. I'm working on DAC right now, but I eventually plan on removing the vehicle spawn from the mission.sqm file and setting markers or triggers for empty vehicles to spawn in ... than you can just add the vehicle class name to an array.

very interesting indeed  smile_o.gif  i've had some issues like enemies appearing in water and missions ending even before starting (like a mission in wich i had to rescue the survivors of an attack but they were all dead before the officer stop to talk ) but overall is excellent. it would be nice if a soldier could pick up the radio in case the soldier carriying it dies ( i think only works in the original soldier now) .looking forward to next releases  thumbs-up.gif

the spawning in the water happens most often with the convoy west missions, but any mission near water is in danger of that happening. I'll move some stuff around to try and end the effect. I had moved a defend mission near the artillery, thinking 'this will be fun' of course this is super artillery and has soon as the enemy apperead the arillery was destroying them as the game was trying to spawn, it got to 86 kills in 3-4 seconds... icon_rolleyes.gif ...I moved it away again.

I've had problems with the MIA's dying mission fail before... and I wonder if this is the dead radio misson and they just spawned too close to the enemy...OR they could be spawning in some horrible place!

-a couple of other things to be fixed:

-SF doesn't actually work right now...because the chopper won't go home...The script TELLS the chopper to go home, but something in the engine/script allows the SF group to flag down the chopper...than the SF troops get in and it just sits there...I'm close to fixing this.

-airstrike for west doesn't go home either. East and west airstrikes are different by necessity, unfotrunately the west strike won't go home, this is fixed in the next version. (in case your wondering, the Su-34 does some insane stuff when spawned on the ground near pita. So I have to just spawn it in middair to keep it from dying on creation.)

More News on ARMA GDCE 1.03

After bashing my head against DAC for the last few days, I've decided to let it go and try something else.

I'm going to incorporate Dynamic Group creator into GDCE. it's pretty much the same thing, except it doesn't generate camps or bases. it's already converted and easy to use. I'll have to add GDCE's event handlers to the script, but everything should fit right in.

With DGC I can hopefully create a true war atmosphere and make the player think before making that quick helicopter insertion. I can also generate waypoints that put various player supports in danger.

I'm also exploring the possibility of using scripts to create triggers for DGC to use when certain conditions are met, with that we can simulate enemy and friendly groups taking strategic locations that you would have to take back. with DGC groups running into each other occasionally at these locations the support level should be a dynamic level, more independent of what you do during a mission. that's all in the future of course.

1,03 will just concentrate in getting a few DGC areas running and seeing the possible lag effects.

Hi,

This looks like an awesome campaign. Looks very promising. Unfortunately it does not work for me. I get an error right after starting the west demo campaign saying no entry bin\config.cpp/CfgWeapons.MAP_Radio.

I thought it might be because I did not have the mapfact radio installed. I downloaded it and installed it and it is still giving me the same error message. I downloaded the MAP_Misc 1.05 and extracted the @Mapfact folder into my ArmA folder and added @Mapfact to the command line of my shortcut along with the other mods I am using (CSM, TrueView for example). I have arma 1.08. Upon mission start it shows the player character's face for a sec, then it says building mission, please wait and then comes the error. I can click ok but that does not do anything. The error message stays up and I have to quit arma with Alt-F4 or task manager.

Any help would be appreciated. Cause I wanna try this crazy_o.gif

Never mind, I extracted the wrong folder. My bad, sorry for the unnecessary post. But hey, the mission is awesome. Having loads of fun here. Great job! Thanks a lot. I might actually look into editing just to play with the templates a little.

any news on the new version i keep starting a conversion but i dont really want to untill Dac or group link is working. dont mean to rush you or anything tho :-)

Shinden,

Someone mentioned it above, it would be cool if you could implement some civilian life into the island to give it some more life. And maybe some random insurgents spawning. Just a little request.

smile_o.gif

Shinden,

Someone mentioned it above, it would be cool if you could implement some civilian life into the island to give it some more life. And maybe some random insurgents spawning. Just a little request.

smile_o.gif

yes it was me asking for civs. They used to be in the old one - well i had one spawn in this one thats all. Are they linked to dac I tried to get them to work but I dont understand the inner workings of G.d.c.e enough. Theres not enough missions out there with civs in I like the added factor of not being able to use arty etc in certain high population areas. Infact does anybody know of any good mission or templates with civillian life in? There was one ages ago that tried to populate the island but it wasnt that good.

Yeah, would be cool to know how to implement civilians spawning yourself. Wouldn't it be possible to put some up in the editor and then have them respawn on rest, kinda like you have the respawn vehicles in the base respawn? You might be able to just give each individual civilian his own name, just like you do with the vehicles in the base and then have them respawn. You would have to implement some factor though that will have them spawn randomly in different spots etc.

I was also thinking that it would be cool to have some civilians with guns spawning kinda like an independent insurgency. You know just in random towns so that you can't just run or drive around blind.