Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Battle of Britain Day

The 15th of September each year is know as "Battle of Britain Day" throughout the UK to show respect and reflect on how the pilots of the RAF single handedly defended the UK from the onslaught of the German Luftwaffe, thus stopping the invasion of the UK and making the first turning point in the war.

Strengths

RAF

754 single-seat fighters

149 two-seat fighters

560 bombers

500 coastal

1,963 total

Luftwaffe

1,107 single-seat fighters

357 two-seat fighters

1,380 bombers

428 dive-bombers

569 reconnaissance

233 coastal

4,074 total

So as you can see the odds were stacked against them and the casualty rates showed that..

RAF Losses

1,023 fighters

524 bombers

1,547 total

(27,450 civilians dead,

32,138 wounded)

That's a lot of people that gave there lives in direct defense of our country so that we could have a life worth living and now the powers that be have decided to no longer recognise those individuals by declaring we will no longer hold a "Battle of Britain Day" !  

Below is a link for an E-Petition to lobby the Government to re-recognise this important day and sacrifice.

Petition

This may not mean much to the younger generation, but it does to a lot of people who's relatives gave there lives for the people of this country and our freedom. Lets defend their memory now, just like they defended us.  

Please, sign this petition, its important.

Thank you for reading.

Your numbers dont make sence (you had about 900 fighters and lost 1,023?). wink_o.gif

Gnat @ Aug. 17 2007,12:58)]Not just the British, many others too.

Think that's why the post just refers to RAF, rather than British airmen. Pilots from all over the Commonwealth and occupied Europe (and I believe other places as well) flew under the RAF during the Battle of Britain.

Your numbers dont make sence (you had about 900 fighters and lost 1,023?). wink_o.gif

Well an ex-RAF lad posted it on the IC-ArmA forums. I just copied and pasted to get it up ASAP. Sorry about that.

maybe they replenished there stock and the figures mean maximum

strength of servicable aircraft at any given moment , so if you add total of 754 +149 to 1,023 fighters lost overall during the battle there had been 1926 fighters taking part in the battle but not all at the same time of course asuming they stopped with the full complement of 754 +149?

My own view on the petition ,well like others say lest we forget but

i am more pro one big rememberance encompassing all efforts that remind us of what our forefathers sacrificed in order for us to live our life in the manner that we do, than many small celebrations i know this is partiularly about RAF but like others said there were many others from places like poland etc that played there part too in the fighters.

Gnat @ Aug. 17 2007,12:58)]Not just the British, many others too.

Think that's why the post just refers to RAF, rather than British airmen. Pilots from all over the Commonwealth and occupied Europe (and I believe other places as well) flew under the RAF during the Battle of Britain.

It wasn't just the RAF, some flew for the RN too.

Don't forget the Senior Service.