Sign in to follow this  
SaBrE_UK

Sight Settings

What I mean is, say, using optics with the ACOG at longer ranges, then switching to the secondary ironsights on top at point-blank ranges. I know it's sort of possible as a separate fire-mode. Equip an M4 or something then also addweapon an M249. Then switch firemode/weapon and your sights view will change to the new (unseen) M249's but with the M4's model. Surely this means that we could have multiple sights on one weapon (using the same magazine of ammo). Sorry if I haven't explained this well but I hope you'll understand.

I was wondering if this could be done with scripting. I know it isn't possible in OFP but I was wondering if in ArmA there was a command that could count the number of bullets in a mag, and then set the number of bullets on the "same" weapon (or a separate weapon, technically) to be identical. That way you wouldn't be able to change "sight mode" and suddenly have a full magazine again. This method would also be very useful for ranging a weapon's sights e.g. with grenade launchers, machine-guns and other weapons when in longer range combat. Even better would be if you didn't have to cycle through all the possibilities with one firemode key and could use other keys on the keyboard.

Any feedback on this if you can understand what I'm trying to say. I hope it'll be possible, if not now, some day.

Don't know what you exactly mean ...

Multiple sights for one weapon at same time? Why should there be an M4 sight on M249? Different weapon different ironsight/optics.

But it would be nice to mount manually this picatinny rail with telescopic sights and other stuff ingame (via action menu). Then the player could shoot with or without optic sights... and addon makers will have another (more) thing to optimize smile_o.gif

Hmm my explanation was very convoluted, I see now.

What I mean simply is that your could perhaps have an M4 with ACOG for use in normal battle. If you find yourself in close-quarter combat you may decide you don't want to use the scope, but rather the secondary ironsights on the top of the scope. Hope that's easier to understand.

But it would be nice to mount manually this picatinny rail with telescopic sights and other stuff ingame (via action menu). Then the player could shoot with or without optic sights... and addon makers will have another (more) thing to optimize smile_o.gif

You could already do that in OFP with extra models and scripting.

Really? Did it take the magazine into account? I didn't think there was a command to set the number of bullets in a mag. So if you fired a few shots then changed optics, you wouldn't just have a full mag again.

Sickboy already has a secondary sight script in his weapons addon pack (See MODS: Complete forum). His M14's/M21's have ACOGS and other ranged sights, and you can switch to the seconard Close-Quarters sights on top of the sight itself.

If there was just another way to do this than to swich the weaponmodes... Could't there be a key that can be defined for swiching the sight, one for the firingmode and one for grenades / other stuff.

Yeah I thought that, or you'd have 6 fire mods on a weapon that uses scope & ironsights if it had semi, burst and full-auto. Maybe it could be done if you use the same method as the windage + elevation mod where it ties certain keys to its functions. Any confirmation on this?