Sign in to follow this  
diveplane

CAN WE HAVE CAMERA IN EDITOR

i miss this simple feature in ofp had simple camera placement in editor was great..

can we have a camera system in editor plz..

There is, or do you mean the cameras that were in the trigger?

Guest Ti0n3r

Try some of the editor addons. I'm 99% sure one of them will add a camera to empty/objects.

edit: Ok now I get it tounge2.gif

It's just as easy to create a camera in a script and assign their position and targets to game logics.

Use camera.sqs, or use a trigger with a camera effect. I think that still works. Either way, wrong forum.

Use camera.sqs, or use a trigger with a camera effect. I think that still works. Either way, wrong forum.

1. trigger with cam effect doesnt work anymore, thats what the topic creator wants back

2. cam.sqs is really very time consuming...you have to place position and target in the editor, you have to find the right position, you have to tweak the height...thats all very time consuming .....

i dont understand why there is no camer a object which you can place, direct via shift-drag and such...would make cutsceneing so much easier (i hated it since ofp sad_o.gif )

1. trigger with cam effect doesnt work anymore, thats what the topic creator wants back

2. cam.sqs is really very time consuming...you have to place position and target in the editor, you have to find the right position, you have to tweak the height...thats all very time consuming .....

i dont understand why there is no camer a object which you can place, direct via shift-drag and such...would make cutsceneing so much easier (i hated it since ofp sad_o.gif )

If you think thats time consuming back before i know any of this stuff i'd have to go off other peoples camera positions and then move it based on its relative position, it took hours upon hours making intros for flashpoint that way.

Besides its not time consuming at all, find a position, ctrl left click, ctrl v to paste the info. Good few seconds work right there.

I simply use GameLogics at the points where I want the camera. Makes it more flexible imo as you can just move them around for finetuning.

And to be honest: Weren´t we all a bit tired of the constant orbitals and fixed zooms with trigger-cams-missions ? huh.gif

Basically all the camera's that move with the vehicle are scripts now. The following is a script that you create in your mission's directory, call it what you like i.e: cam.sqs. Just don't name it camera.sqs as that will invoke the default camera built into the game.

<span style='color:olive'>Credit to Jason0 on the UK Forums, or JasonOlson on YouTube, for the script.</span>

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_vehicle = NAME_OF_UNIT_YOU_WANT_TO_FOLLOW

_cam = "camera" camcreate getpos _vehicle

_cam cameraeffect ["Internal", "Back"]

_i = 0;

#loop

_cam camPrepareTarget _vehicle;

_cam camPrepareRelPos [-.95,0,1.25];

_cam camPrepareFOV -.65

_cam camCommitPrepared 0

~0.01

?(_i > 300): goto "end";

_i = _i + 1;

goto "loop"

#end

_cam cameraeffect ["terminate", "back"]

camdestroy _cam

The <span style='color:olive'>?(_i > 300): goto "end";</span> part of the script is the amount of time you want the camera script to run in seconds. You can trigger this like any script, via trigger, via init line...by adding the name of the unit you want the script to film in the start of the script <span style='color:olive'>_vehicle = NAME_OF_UNIT_YOU_WANT_TO_FOLLOW</span> the camera script will be invoked on the unit regardless of where he is or who tripped the trigger. The <span style='color:olive'>_cam camPrepareRelPos [-.95,0,1.25];</span> portion of the script is where you adjust the x,y,z of the camera. This particular script I tweaked and dub the 'Saving Private Ryan' cam hehe.

Just add this to the init line or trigger: .<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this exec "YOURscriptname.sqs"

By starting the default 'camera.sqs' from the init line/trigger and remapping your bulldozer controls in the controls options makes for some cool shots.

Using joystick for the 'up/down/forward/backward' and the mouse for the 'look' makes for some great shots. Alot of freedom of movement. If you want film in this way, the best way is to also remap your infantry controls for 'Strafe Left/Right' to your joystick left/right. In the end, it's all about preference.  smile_o.gif

Great idea Bals, I'd like to try that out with the gamelogics

ArmaVids,

thank you so much for detailed info on that camera script. I have been wanting to try camera thing in Arma, but it's hard to find easy explanations. I am goint to try yours tonight. Hope I can figure it out. Thanks again for taking time and explaining this to idiots like me!

I can't try it. I seem to have a stupid problem. I can't create a mission folder for some reason. I had made a mission and saved it as a user mission. When I looked into my Missions folder in Arma directory, it is not there! So I have nowhere to put this script! Can someone help please? I read the wiki and it says that once you save a mission as a user mission, it should be there as a separate folder (just like in OFP), but it is not there! So, what's a trick here guys?

ArmaVids,

thank you so much for detailed info on that camera script. I have been wanting to try camera thing in Arma, but it's hard to find easy explanations. I am goint to try yours tonight. Hope I can figure it out. Thanks again for taking time and explaining this to idiots like me!

Your welcome  smile_o.gif  Thanks to BraTTy for clearing up the mission folder info.

If you like the effect you get, it may be worth some effort to check out Geloxo's scripts for the camera, they're insane lol.

Cut/Paste the demo mission included in the download into your general missions folder, then load the mission Geloxo made via the editor. You can see examples of how to use the scripts in his demo mission.

You can find them HERE

OK, I am in troubles again. icon_rolleyes.gif

I copy/paste ArmaVidz script into a Notepad and saved it on my desktop as a camtrial.sqs. I made a mission and named one of the helicopters Chopper. Saved it (and founded later in My Documents folder thanks to BraTTy). In the script I changed the line

_vehicle = NAME_OF_UNIT_YOU_WANT_TO_FOLLOW

to

_vehicle = Chopper

I put the script into the mission folder (so now there are two files there, mission.sqm and camtrial.sqs)

I made a trigger activated by that helicopter and in the Init line I wrote:

this exec "camtrial.sqs"

When I played my mission it gave me a message:

Can't find script "camtrial.sqs"

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

What am I doing wrong now?

Dumb question: Is 'hide file extensions for known filetypes' unchecked?

You can find out if it is by following these steps (in WindowsXP):

1. Go to start menu

2. Open My Computer

3. Go to Tools Menu

4. Folder Options

5. Click the View Tab

6. Make sure 'Hide Extensions for Known File Types' is unchecked

7. Click 'OK' and close all the windows you opened. Test in Armed Assault.

Then check the script you created in the directory you put it in. If the Hide File Extensions....was checked then the filename was actually 'camtrial.sqs.<span style='color:brown'>txt</span>

The only other thing that may be causing that is if the script isn't in the same directory as the mission you are opening in the Editor.

smile_o.gif

OK, I'll try that "filetype" thing. The script is in the right folder, so it should not be a problem. Thanks again.

Yes, that was it! Lousy hidden file extensions... mad_o.gif

I got it to work now, thanks so much! Another quick question. Can you assign this script to a spot on the map (like a Game Logic), not just to a unit only?

Oh good! smile_o.gif

I might be mistaken but I thought you could assign the script to anything you can give a name to. This would exclude buildings as they only have a position(?). I think the game logic would work. In the editor just give the name logic a name, change the name in the script to the name of the game logic.

I particularly use the script for infantry, planes, tanks, cars etc. but I also use it for creating 'fixed' cams. For instance, I use LowFly's Editor update so I'll put down a pallet and name it pallet, then just change the name to pallet in the script. Because the pallet doesn't move, it's like a fix camera.

There are other cam scripts, which now I think about it, I should get together with a tutorial on, and post them all for everyone.

All in due time I guess smile_o.gif

I noticed that the camera view is shaking with a helicopter while the chopper is flying. Is there a way to avoid it?