Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

DMSmokeEffects Beta3

BTW, if you are able to de-PBO any mission that you want to see effects in, you can always add your own trigger.

Im currently having problems getting DePbo/Cpbo to work on my Vista Comp sad_o.gif

Edit: Fixed biggrin_o.gif !

Thread: Here

BTW, if you are able to de-PBO any mission that you want to see effects in, you can always add your own trigger.

Im currently having problems getting DePbo/Cpbo to work on my Vista Comp sad_o.gif

Its horrible because now I cant work on any of my projects...

If Anyone knows what could be wrong the thread is below, still no replies...

Edit: No replies that have solved it anyway...

Thread: Here

I have un-pbo'd Evolution SP and added the trigger in to it, and it works great. I've also done it to Dynamic War by MrN.

PM me if you would like me to send you a copy.

Oh and DM, my words cannot express my appreciation for this mod. This, combined with chammys sound mod and 6th sense tracers have really put the fun back into arma for me.

Nothing puts a smile on my face like shooting down that pesky Kamov, only to have it crash into and level a city block 50m away from me, and being absorbed in the dustcloud smile_o.gif

Thank you for the wonderful work sir, and I look forward to the next update wink_o.gif

OK, after a short hiatus I am continuing with the smoke effects. Firstly, the new improvements will include a restructuring of the sripts, that is, it's no longer one huge SQF file but is split into more logical scripts easier to edit. And while I did that made some optimisations.

Here's a preview of the new fuel burning effects:

... and here's another preview, more spectacular as it's at night, which I think looks pretty damn good smile_o.gif :

I was getting a little despondent yesterday as I couldn't get a decent fire effect, but I think I pulled it off eventually. I'll try & get a new beta out quite soon.

OK, after a short hiatus I am continuing with the smoke effects. Firstly, the new improvements will include a restructuring of the sripts, that is, it's no longer one huge SQF file but is split into more logical scripts easier to edit. And while I did that made some optimisations.

... and here's another preview, more spectacular as it's at night, which I think looks pretty damn good smile_o.gif :

I was getting a little despondent yesterday as I couldn't get a decent fire effect, but I think I pulled it off eventually. I'll try & get a new beta out quite soon.

Awesome work man smile_o.gif Alright!

Btw, some questions really fast sir D?

1) Do you currently have huge billowing smoke effects for burning vehicles? For some reason it appears I have stock smoke textures!  crazy_o.gif Could this be because I havent activated the script or whatever in the editor? (I was creating a map)

2) Could change the really dark dark grenade textures in your pack to a lighter color? (Somewhere along the lines of light-grey smoke compared to black oil?)

Something this colorish:

400px-200449152258blast008.jpg

Your current textures are pretty dark (Or atleast on my machine? is it just me?)

1) Do you currently have huge billowing smoke effects for burning vehicles? For some reason it appears I have stock smoke textures! crazy_o.gif Could this be because I havent activated the script or whatever in the editor? (I was creating a map)

The readme describes the steps needed to have smoke effects in mission. Basically it involves making one trigger.

2) Could change the really dark dark grenade textures in your pack to a lighter color? (Somewhere along the lines of light-grey smoke compared to black oil?)

Something this colorish:

400px-200449152258blast008.jpg

Originally the grenade effect was much lighter, but people complained it was too light. I darkened some of it (the lower-lying cloud) to try & match what I saw in images like the one above.

Thanks for the comments smile_o.gif

Ok, because, the entire cloud is now really dark, and in that picture, though the dark is definetely there, the light is the more dominant texture, could it be possible to create both shades, maybe add another particle fountain thing or whatever the hell you use to make those effects for the lighter (and larger) layer?

Edit: and If youve given up on trying to perfect the grenade effect (which already looks pretty damn fine, aside from the textures) can I have an under-the-table-just-for-you-blake-(chip360) lighter grenade texture effect release from you?

Edit: and If youve given up on trying to perfect the grenade effect (which already looks pretty damn fine, aside from the textures) can I have an under-the-table-just-for-you-blake-(chip360) lighter grenade texture effect release from you?

Surely smile_o.gif

Are you able to un-PBO and re-PBO a file? If so I can tell you exactly what parameters to change in what file, so you can set it yourself. If not, I'll do a special one for you.

Surely smile_o.gif

Are you able to un-PBO and re-PBO a file? If so I can tell you exactly what parameters to change in what file, so you can set it yourself. If not, I'll do a special one for you.

I got the pbo thing working, but honestly I dont know how it should be tweaked :O

Could you just tweak me up a quick fix? Something similiar to the smoke in madmmatts mod maybe (just a dab less dark)

I would be so happy!

Ps: Do you think in a future release you may be adding the light grey particle effect with the dark smoke (combining the two) to make the most realistic grenade effect around?You know what I mean, so it looks like that photo?

I got the pbo thing working, but honestly I dont know how it should be tweaked :O

Could you just tweak me up a quick fix? Something similiar to the smoke in madmmatts mod maybe (just a dab less dark)

Well to be honest if you can un-PBO and re-PBO that would be the best option, I can supply you with the entire file to replace, no editing for you smile_o.gif

That way you can replace the same file each time I make a release and you'll always get your own grenade effects. Otherwise I'd be constantly supplying you with special downloads.

Ps: Do you think in a future release you may be adding the light grey particle effect with the dark smoke (combining the two) to make the most realistic grenade effect around?You know what I mean, so it looks like that photo?

Well I tried to make the lower cloud dark & short lasting, and the higher cloud lighter colour & longer lasting. Personally I'm quite happy with it, some grenade footage I've seen is quite light but they seem to be range grenades mostly, the footage I've seen of grenades on non-range surfaces seem to be slightly darker generally. I went for a mid catch-all setting in the end smile_o.gif

So that is a le no?

How sad sad_o.gif

I love you addon, i just wish.... *Cries...*

So then theres absolutely no way that you would try to make a mix effect for the grenades again? Not anyway at all? its done, gone, dust in the wind? Zipp?

Can you be persuaded by my friend Virtual Ben?

50578849.JPG

xmas_o.gif   xmas_o.gif   xmas_o.gif

Hey look on the bright side - I'm offering you your own, personal, absolutely unique grenade settings file smile_o.gif

Hey look on the bright side - I'm offering you your own, personal, absolutely unique grenade settings file smile_o.gif

Well then, Ill take it  wink_o.gif

(and do u think someday in the future you can give me my own personal grenade settings file that includes the black and white smooke?!?? tounge2.gif )

And wait a min, y did u decide to make a compromise again instead of a mix (a realistic mix, for a realistic mod?)

Great work DM, once again you have outdone yourself =D

The fire effects at night look wonderful!

Can't wait for the release.

Here's a set of grenade variants for you chip360, set in order of light, lighter & lightest. You'll need to de-PBO the DMSmokeEffects addon, find the right file and replace, then re-PBO the lot back up again.

Unfortunately you'll need to re-start the game each time you try one out, but that's no biggie.

I haven't tried them out myself, I just tweaked each setting up by 0.2 for each file, so the lightest settings file will be 0.6 lighter than the default. They might look horrible but maybe one of them is close to what you'd like smile_o.gif

Grenade Variants

And wait a min, y did u decide to make a compromise again instead of a mix (a realistic mix, for a realistic mod?)

I do regard the final as a realistic mix, remember that there's only one grenade effect, and it has to look good in all settings, including desert, urban, woodland etc. Some amount of compromise has to be made to find a middle-ground smile_o.gif

@DMarkwick

This is without your new fuel burning effects,  

and new great fuel burning effects  comes later ? correctly ?  smile_o.gif

@DMarkwick

This is without your new fuel burning effects,

and new great fuel burning effects comes later ? correctly ? smile_o.gif

Yep. I want to add a few more things to make it worth a release, just small stuff like the tank firing dust effect.

Here's a set of grenade variants for you chip360, set in order of light, lighter & lightest. You'll need to de-PBO the DMSmokeEffects addon, find the right file and replace, then re-PBO the lot back up again.

Unfortunately you'll need to re-start the game each time you try one out, but that's no biggie.

I haven't tried them out myself, I just tweaked each setting up by 0.2 for each file, so the lightest settings file will be 0.6 lighter than the default. They might look horrible but maybe one of them is close to what you'd like smile_o.gif

Grenade Variants

I do regard the final as a realistic mix, remember that there's only one grenade effect, and it has to look good in all settings, including desert, urban, woodland etc. Some amount of compromise has to be made to find a middle-ground smile_o.gif

Alright... I am ever so happy about the grenades variants smile_o.gif !

Thankyou so much smile_o.gif ill go check 'em out in a min.

Its sad that the grenades arent bein worked on anymore, but I understand the whole middle-ground compromise deelio, so im happy with it biggrin_o.gif

Keep up the tremendous work !

looks very nice.

how does it affect performance on low-medium comps tho..?

can you maybe create several versions like minimal particle desnity and optimal particle density? so that ppl with abit lesser comps can enjoy ur beautiful work without lagging like crazy smile_o.gif

looks very nice.

can you maybe create several versions like minimal particle desnity and optimal particle density? so that ppl with abit lesser comps can enjoy ur beautiful work without lagging like crazy smile_o.gif

I haven't noticed any of his effects adding any lag/decreasing performance in any way. I thought that his building collapse effects surely would but if anything, they increased performance.

Superb addon DMarkwick. I love new smoke effects, looks very realistic. Are You planing to add new smoke effects to other explosions ? Tank HE shell detonation for an example ?

Great work ! thumbs-up.gif

looks very nice.

Config effects should not affect performance at all, extra smoke effects can get a little busy if there's 50 tanks all on fire at the same time biggrin_o.gif but if the battle is a reasonable size (say 20 tanks) then the impact isn't noticeable.

Superb addon DMarkwick. I love new smoke effects, looks very realistic. Are You planing to add new smoke effects to other explosions ? Tank HE shell detonation for an example ?

Yep I'll be doing any effect I can identify in the config, as well as adding & improving extra smoke effects smile_o.gif

Yep I'll be doing any effect I can identify in the config, as well as adding & improving extra smoke effects smile_o.gif

I glad to hear that ! ArmA is great game thanks to ppl like You. thumbs-up.gif Long live the Moders wink_o.gif

Thankyou so much smile_o.gif ill go check 'em out in a min.

Its sad that the grenades arent bein worked on anymore, but I understand the whole middle-ground compromise deelio, so im happy with it biggrin_o.gif

No probs, post up screenies if any of them are any good, I'm not totally against changing the grenade, I'm just against it right now wink_o.gif