Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

DMSmokeEffects Grenade effects beta

Rather nice, if I do say so myself smile_o.gif Let me know what you think. Too big? Right colour? Lasts too long? etc.

Grenade Effects.

Simply extract the @DM folder, place it in your ArmA folder & alter your shortcut to include it.

*edit* includes the building collapse fix, still not tweaked or anything yet.

Looks nice, but somehow the chopper smoke effect is messed up with the new dmsmoke.pbo. The tank smoke looks still fine.

so this already has the building collapse effects in it?

if this is it it needs alittle work

Looks nice, but somehow the chopper smoke effect is messed up with the new dmsmoke.pbo. The tank smoke looks still fine.

Yeah the new animated smoke array is 8x8 frames instead of 12x12 frames, so you'll get a corrupted smoke effect using the old script, which still calls it as though it's 12x12. I'll post a new DMSmokeEffects beta up soon.

so this already has the building collapse effects in it?

if this is it it needs alittle work

Nope that's an old test, disregard smile_o.gif

Here is a vid of the effect as it's been released:

A day later and I think it could do with thinning out a little, make it less of a hemisphere. There should be two clouds generated, a lower-lying quickly dissipating cloud that is wider, lower & sinks to the ground, and a second more central cloud that is more neutrally buoyant and dissipates slower. More work needed, but not too much wink_o.gif

...and a second more central cloud that is more neutrally buoyant and dissipates slower...

Agreed! The version I saw on the youtube vid was good, but all the smoke/dust disapated at the same time. Is it possible to add some kind of random function, so not every grenade has exactly the same effect?

Keep up the great work mate!

Have you considered some new laserguided bomb effects? That would be most welcome yay.gif

The collapsing effect looks more realistic, but the gren effect is weird. It looks like if the smoke appeared from nowhere, instead of developing a cloud from a certain origin (the gren itself).

I mean, the volume of smoke appears in tenth of a second, by magic. The result is that it seems to miss a few frames from the explosion...

agreed on this. collapsing effect is great, especially bc the smoke lasts longer and fills the surrounding areas. the gren smoke just appears out of nowhere, it does not seem to spread from an origin.

My research shows that grenade smoke appears almost instantaneously, then drifts and settles slowly. You do NOT see smoke zoom out from a central source, although you do sometimes see it drift from a central source once it's appeared. I have seen footage that shows dark smoke, but most of it appears grey. I suspect the ground makeup is responsible for a lot of the colour, so I'll probably choose some halfway catch-all colour.

I tried making it dark & turn grey over time but it looks odd and not like the footage I've seen at all. The version that I have right now is much improved from any of the YouTube vids, when I post the new settings I'll also post a new vid.

I think that the original smoke effect by BIS is fairly right in size of a average hand grenade actually.. The color is off tho.. its "only" 200-300 grams of explosives so it don't produce a huge cloud, 40mm HE's only make a small puff (after all they only have like 100 grams of explosive filler)

I have only seen tnt filled grenades detonate irl.. but it do look just like the ones mythbusters test.. and as I said.. detonating tnt makes a thick black smoke.. or sooth really..

The house collapse smoke FX is good tho.. smile_o.gif

I think that the original smoke effect by BIS is fairly right in size of a average hand grenade actually.. The color is off tho.. its "only 200-300 grams of explosives so it don't produce a huge cloud, 40mm HE's only make a small puff (after all they only have like 100 grams of explosive filler after all)

I have only seen tnt filled grenades detonate irl.. but it do look just like the ones mythbusters test.. and as I said.. detonating tnt makes a thick black smoke.. or sooth really..

The house collapse smoke FX is good tho.. smile_o.gif

Very nice footage smile_o.gif

I've been looking into this, and I think the color is generally close to the correct tone when compared to a standard issue M61 frag. If it was a little closer to grey, than white, and it'd be spot-on.

MUCH better than original videos i saw having 2 separate colors is a great compromise in the discussion going on here i really like how most of it falls and disappears quickly leaving only a slight haze after all this isn't the civil war i just have one prob id love to use this in mp but having so much smoke from a destroyed building is somewhat a disadvantage especially if AI in sp do not register it as a visual obstacle but not much u can really do to fix that i guess its a choice of better graphics or better chances of survival btw having to use the horrible bis original effects to make such great work only emphasizes your abilities if only we could get arma dx10...and dx10 on xp lol one last thing i would really appreciate if any new videos or updates added could be also added by editing your original post thx and good work

MUCH better than original videos i saw having 2 separate colors is a great compromise in the discussion going on here i really like how most of it falls and disappears quickly leaving only a slight haze after all this isn't the civil war i just have one prob id love to use this in mp but having so much smoke from a destroyed building is somewhat a disadvantage especially if AI in sp do not register it as a visual obstacle but not much u can really do to fix that i guess its a choice of better graphics or better chances of survival btw having to use the horrible bis original effects to make such great work only emphasizes your abilities if only we could get arma dx10...and dx10 on xp lol one last thing i would really appreciate if any new videos or updates added could be also added by editing your original post thx and good work

Thx smile_o.gif

Yeah you will suffer a disadvantage in MP, but that's the price os a realistic effect. All config edits have the same problem, this is why mods that include their own configs are preferable, you know everone else has the same thing smile_o.gif You should boot the game with different shortcuts if you want the effects in SP but no effects in MP, unless the addon eventually becomes very well used wink_o.gif

New video containing darker smoke and little tweaks:

Much better! smile_o.gif

any thoughts on releasing changes to other particle effects such as smoke from tank fire or left over haze from gun fire? and does the engine as far as we have access to it now [no good tools released yet sad_o.gif ] able to tell what terrain your on. i ask this questioning if u could make tank fire smoke in the desert look like sand same with dust offs and such as well as no ground smoke effects in area with lots of grass [basically still cannon smoke but no smoke ring around the tank] i know that as of yet we cant even figure out what weapon a character has [this is known because of the sniper scope adjustment mod recently released] keep up the good work cant wait to see your next release