Sign in to follow this  
madtkboy

Sniper and Convoy

How do you do this mission?

I get on the water tower, take careful aim (headshots)

And go boom boom boom. One in like every 5 shots hits its target and sometimes i just end up with bullets taken by the AI's vest. So therefore on average its like 10 shots a kill.

I used to play America's Army and I don't think the SPR in that game was even this inaccurate.

What am I missing here?

The bullets seem to have random spreads to them and never land at reticle =T....

Guest Ti0n3r

I never had a problem with the SPR. But try to hold you breath (ingame xD) while you aim as it might help a bit.

This mission was hard for me also in the beginning, but then I noticed and used a couple of tricks. First of all, go prone before shooting (yes, it's possible, although you may need a couple of tries to turn yourself into the direction of the road). Then, as Ti0n3r said, hold your breath as you shoot (for me, it happens by holding down 2nd mouse button). The SPR is not so inaccurate, but I remember there was some kind of wind there or the targets were pretty far. So the bullets hit the same spot all the time, it's just not exactly in the middle of the crosshair. confused_o.gif Anyway, after a few shots you should notice in which direction you should aim more in order to hit the enemies.

SPR is definitely inaccurate and the point of impact is random. The wind doesn't affect bullets. Zoom the scope so that the target is inside the two nearest dots from the center and aim for the belly or back.

The bullets seem to have random spreads to them and never land at reticle

That is exactly was it's modeled. They call it 'bullet dispersion', and is a IMHO a cheap way to simulate RL aiming - not that there is anything better either.

But don't worry too much about it, to me the whole concept of the mission is nonsense. How can you go about shooting at 2 or 3 trucks full of enemy soldiers? I must assume that in RL you would surely be suppressed by enemy fire, while the soldiers take cover behind the trucks, at least.

BIS has always - and this includes OFP - made missions that show every limitation of the engine, instead of carefuly design them to hide the problems.

Don't go on the tower

Hide behind a bush

Hit the dust

Aim better (I usually miss a shot on 5)

Use + to zoom in

Sometimes zoom out (-), check if someone is shooting you and get him

I made this a few times as sniper training and never failed

The mission is definetly possible to win, but is it realistic? No!

Another tip is to learn to adjust your scope reticle for range. The bullets are not necessarly going to land at the center of the reticle.

If you still want to elevation of the water tower but with the most accuracy, simple position yourself on the catwalk perpendicular to an imaginary line drawn from the centre of the tower to the enemy convoy. At that point you can go prone while facing the enemy, gaining all the advantages of the prone position. Plus, with a little manoeuvring, you can use the catwalk as if you were cresting a hill to give you the most cover.

The only down side to this is that an enemy soldier once managed to reach the concealment of the trees in my line of sight and made it near the base of the tower. When I accomplished the mission and went to leave I got a nasty surprise. So, watch out for that.

I'll add to this my solution. Go up the tower to force the 'cutscene', then descend again. Go inside the little shack to the side. The cutaway plank provides sufficient view from a kneeling position to pick off the soldiers, and being inside the hut seems to hide muzzle flash (or otherwise confuse the AI) such that I got very little return fire. Makes it easier to see any approaching soldiers too.