Sign in to follow this  
hedcrusha

Health Bar

I think you can find out what parts of the body is hit using a script. I think hit event handlers?

A "What part of the body is hit" Meter might be a good idea if possible.

someone was complaining about realism hers my take-- in ofp /arma ive heard many people say" i think i was shot" or hey man looks like you were shot, is that realism? not at all,  in real life you know your shot, and you know if your dieing for the most part, so i thgink this will add realism if anything.  good work, sorry lamers complain first just to look cool. we all know that if ya dont like everything then ya must be cool!?

i think if ypu ask someone who was shot thye would say that they knew it

to talk about the most sad part of being a soldier, from many RL reports I read this is not right and also from my personal experience with heavy wounds.

I find it depressing realistic when you’re virtual self goes down and you need some time to find out what happened, or if you recognize your arms are bloody and wonder when were you hit.

But this might be also a reason to use a Healthbar.

to make some sort of compromise, what about adding a command “selfcheck†that takes a few second and then shows you how/where you are hurt?

QuietMan

I wonder if every member of this forum is going to report in to give their personal negative opinion about an added gameplay feature that they aren't required to download.  

No one cares how elite you think you are.

1)  Some players want a health bar.

2)  Hedcrusha took advantage of the powerful ArmA engine and catered to the needs of those players.

3)  The only responses we should be seeing should be those that either:

A)  Report bugs, so that it can be made better.

B)  Express thanks, so that he can know his work is appreciated.

This because your silence is already taken as lack of approval.

C) Respectful critics, best combined with suggestion how to improve

Permitting any negative comments (“negative†from contend, not tone) is not the point of a forum.

Anyone who is taking his own work serious should search for what he can improve and collecting comments of others (carrefully filtering the value ones) is one way to extend your borders.

QuietMan

When i was hit then normally i cant run or i cant shoot or i am dead.

If i cant run then i know i was shot in the legs.

if i cant shoot then i know i was shot in the arms.

If i am dead then its useless to know where i was hit.

Very nicely done!

I'm a 100% realism fan here and I, for the love of GOD, can't see how this will make the game more unrealistic? What is it with these elitist whiners. This health bar doesn't ADD any health to your soldier, it only shows you that you've been hit so you KNOW when you took a nasty fall or a bullet to the arm when you weren't paying attention. This only improves realism, bunch of emo kids... mad_o.gif

Again, thanks for the addon!

Thanks! Im glad "SOME" of you appretiate this but for the others please POST bugs and IDEAS instead of bloody crying about why your not going to use it. If this is the shit im gonna get when posting a mod ive made then i might as well not do so. So stop whining, if you dont like it or its toooo unrealistic for you then DONT bother to post.

Its only a game!

I like it, its a good plugin for the Tiberian Genesis Mod which i lead. Some improvements are needed on it, but for me it is really usefull!

Thanks!

Sentry

Yeah personally im not going to use it, but its a matter of choice and those saying that hedcrusha shouldnt make this mod are wrong. Because im sure there IS an audience for this mod and people should be able to mod whatever they like (within reason of course).

So good work Hedcrusha and dont listen to those who badmouth your work! pistols.gif

hed,

i like the health bar, but it would have been nice if you were able to make it in a .pbo. great job anyway!!!!

hi there ... it might be very useful for berzerk maps, too ...

as healthbar and refuel/repair bar ....

as i implemented different colors on units health in map it would be nice to recolor the bar on value ... >0.8 = green ... > 0.5 = yellow .. below red for example ...

regards,

zap

I think some people are so worked up into there realism ego to realise how useful this can be wink_o.gif

If you put it this way, anybody that has found out how to implement new things into the game whether you like it or not just encourage them and don’t be so negative because you never know what the next thing they make could be...

GJ crusha.

Raedor's point about config inheritance and over-writing vs hacks was a loud warning to the community that should not be over looked.

All this nonsense about having to update addons each time a new patch comes out is totally ignorant and counter-productive. There is no excuse for your content breaking because a patch 'collides' with your content.

First off, NOBODY has any business writing to dta\bin.pbo. there is nothing there that needs direct editing, and doing so makes the editor's and the player's lives miserable and incompatible.

Secondly, the same goes for any of the pbo's shipped with Arma. Inherit or overwrite, don't hack. Repeat that over and over again until you get it.

If you need to change class man, don't hack class man. config it as

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class man : man {...};

Better yet though, don't change BIS's bases at all, make your own so everyone can play together :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class jsa_man : man {...};

That will be more than adequate in nearly every case you have for any sort of content. You will be doing yourself and the entire community a huge favor. Doing things business as usual will ensure that the modding community is fractured and dies a quick agonizing death.

Well..... That settles that.

Now, what exactly "that" is and what it is supposed to settle, I have absolutely no clue. I just figured the phrase was a good fit to end the conversation.

First off, NOBODY has any business writing to dta\bin.pbo. there is nothing there that needs direct editing, and doing so makes the editor's and the player's lives miserable and incompatible.

Well, there was one exception that I know of, and there probably is a few more.

Sakura-chan's damage texture mod.

The reason for that is that it's just packed in the PBO, but not actually referenced in the config as the engine references it directly (either that or it's referenced in the vehicle pbos, never thought of that till now). So, to make the game use a new damage texture, you have to pack the whole bin.pbo with the replaced texture and use it via mod folder.

Anyways, I heartilly agree with that point for the most part though. It's not too hard to figure out how inheritance works. Hell, all you've got to do is open up any mod folder based replacement config to find out. Smaller is easier to work with. Personally, I would suggest looking at the config I used to do the 1ID replacement pack, just to see how it works.

Well thanks again! Just one note though how could i be able to play with other people if i created a new class? Wouldnt it be classed as a cheat? In this game replacing in my eyes is better so you can actualy play on normal servers instead of them having to have it also.

For the externalcamposition where the hell would i change that!? Cos it isnt in the weapons.pbo or char.pbo nor anyother pbo for that matter except bin.pbo and for your information i bet you have never tried my mods so how the hell would you know that its messes with your editior and make the game incompatible.

"Doing things business as usual will ensure that the modding community is fractured and dies a quick agonizing death."

So in a sence your blaming me if the modding community dies? Bit harsh isnt it. Look Im very new to this game and i like it and i like to mess about with the configs and see what i can come up with. Im NOT a scripter dont know anything about it im NOT a coder either just look at things logicaly. So why dont you quit having a moan and a paddy at me and maybe try and help me!! Ever thought of that? Prob not.

Now ive posted quite a few threads on this forum for a little help and all i get is try the search and use the biki! These things are the first things i check and sorry for saying this but the search function on this bouard is absaluty crap. So obviously if i havent found it on the search or biki then i need a little help.

Now im sure you EMOTIONALIST'S try and flame new comers in hope that you keep the tight little comunity from ofp and hope if you put down enough people they will go away.

Do you want me to stop posting my work or do you want to give me a hand to inprove my edtiting?

as long as you redefine a class in description.ext, it is not an "addon" ... you can still play on normal servers as the new class is stored in the mission itself...

take a look at description.ext or included *.hpp files in berzerk maps for example ...

it's just that simple as described above like:

class yourman:man {...};

class yourmap:RscMapControl {...}

regards,

zap

Well thanks again! Just one note though how could i be able to play with other people if i created a new class? Wouldnt it be classed as a cheat? In this game replacing in my eyes is better so you can actualy play on normal servers instead of them having to have it also.

For the externalcamposition where the hell would i change that!? Cos it isnt in the weapons.pbo or char.pbo nor anyother pbo for that matter except bin.pbo and for your information i bet you have never tried my mods so how the hell would you know that its messes with your editior and make the game incompatible.

"Doing things business as usual will ensure that the modding community is fractured and dies a quick agonizing death."

So in a sence your blaming me if the modding community dies? Bit harsh isnt it. Look Im very new to this game and i like it and i like to mess about with the configs and see what i can come up with. Im NOT a scripter dont know anything about it im NOT a coder either just look at things logicaly. So why dont you quit having a moan and a paddy at me and maybe try and help me!! Ever thought of that? Prob not.

Now ive posted quite a few threads on this forum for a little help and all i get is try the search and use the biki! These things are the first things i check and sorry for saying this but the search function on this bouard is absaluty crap. So obviously if i havent found it on the search or biki then i need a little help.

Now im sure you EMOTIONALIST'S try and flame new comers in hope that you keep the tight little comunity from ofp and hope if you put down enough people they will go away.

Do you want me to stop posting my work or do you want to give me a hand to inprove my edtiting?

Hey don't care, it's just the way this forum community is. You will receive blunt comments as default here. It shouldn't be like that but that's how it is.

I think it's great you did your little modification, even though some people come and tell a better way to do it. They could tell it to you in a friendlier manner, that is certain. Telling people things in a friendly manner is unfortunately not how many of the older members of this community behave (I didn't name anyone).

That's how it goes around here. As an alternative place, there is for example http://www.ofpec.com/ where you will immediately notice a huge difference to this place regarding how people treat you and your ideas. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, don't let them pull you down, your time is more precious than arguing here I am sure of that

thumbs-up.gif

Hedcrusha,

After the harping you've received lately I'd like to echo what others have said in here. Keep up the good work. I enjoy trying your stuff, even if I won't use some of them. It's fun to see what other people have created and take some time to try what was made. I feel it's the least I can do when people take the time to create something. If people don't like what you do so be it. There are a lot of us out here that enjoy checking out your work.

Anyway, I gotta run to work and increase the price of oil and nat gas. At least that's what these geniuses on TV like to say.

I think changing standard content would classify more for a "cheat" than a addon

but as long as Arma doesn't check consistency ... whistle.gif

bars on fuel and damage for vehicles would be cool and thinking about it, the healthbar is really useful in vehicles, as you don't recognize being hurt while in.

As I said, a small delay on update, or a "check status" function, that needs some time.

having a thin skin, for someone with the name "hedcrusha" wink_o.gif

As long as people play with medics (or medic tents) you can easily ignore the "realism" arguments tounge2.gif

This forum is "ADDONS & MODS: COMPLETE", lots of impatient people band.gif looking for fast fun yay.gif For getting help on configs, try the editing forums wink_o.gif

QuietMan

Thanks i do check the editing side of things. Ive got ideas for maps but for the life of me i cant seem to do what i want and also asked in the missions and scripts section last week but i take it nobody knows or just dont want to throw me a bone.

Also for those that mentioned about the which part of the body is damaged like you see when in a tank well ive figured it out but cant seem to get it to do what i want. So im still going to play around with it.

@ Zaphod: I want it to be client side only and not use it in a mission. Like what ColonelSandersLite did with EBUD's skins. So defining a new class would mean that the server has to have it as well?

For the fuel and armor side for cars ect, what vihicles is it that you want to see fuel and armor bars on?

Look man, I can't speak for others but, I'm not being an emotionalist or trying to flame you or whatever, nor do I care to see you stop posting your work since I rather like it.

It's simple to make a working mod folder that's only a few kb in size, works in MP, regardless of other users having or not having it, and does not have to be updated for every game version.

I don't think that shinRaiden was making a comment about you specifically, but the way the community is going in a certain aspect. Notably, try using this and your third person camera mod with Sakura-chan's nonblinding sun mod, damage textures, and sea foam replacements together. It *is* a problem when your average joe can't piece it together.

But since you ask, I will take a look at your New 3rd person camera view addon and see what can be done. I'm busy with my own projects, so I won't do it all for you, but I will show the basics and even talk you through the basic steps if necessary.

Is that cool?

I'm going to sleep first, and you could save me a bucket load of time by telling me what class you changed so I don't have to hunt it down.

I disagree with baddo on the point that the community should not be blunt though. Frankly, blunt discourse is the most expedient method of exchanging information.

Nevermind on the telling me what classes you modified, I figured it out just fine. Check you pm though if you haven't already.

As stated at the begining of page 4 of your Health Bar thread:

***corrected newview file sent via pm as it's not my place to publicly release it***

Note that it's fully functional and does not need the old versions in any way.

The advantages of doing it like that:

1: File size, note the major difference. In fact, it's 99.828% smaller with no loss of functionality.

2: Compatibility with other mods. Note that it works just fine with TrueView, my UI mod, and practically any other mod you want to throw it up against. In fact, the only mods it will conflict with are mods that change the extCameraPosition property of the man class. The alternate cursor option will work with anything that does not modify the cursors as well.

3: Compatibility with every version of arma. You do not need to update it every time bis patches the game. It will only be required if BIS does some serious reorganizing of their configs, which is unlikely to happen.

4: Modularity. You do not have to create every combination of all your mods for the sake of user customisability, since they can just add and remove what they want and don't want.

5: Maintainability. There's much less code, so it's much easier to update when you feel you need to change something.

You'll want to check it to make sure I didn't leave anything out. In particular, I may or may not have left something out of the cursor mod.

You should also register a tag at ofpec if you haven't already, and use it instead of your full user name in the relevent areas of the files.

Let me know if you need help figureing out why or how it works. I will be glad to assist you in this regard.

For the fuel and armor side for cars ect, what vihicles is it that you want to see fuel and armor bars on?

Personally, I'm not too keen on armor bars for all vehicles due to realism issues. I am in favor of fuel bars on all vehicles though. Personally, I've never seen a vehicle made in the last 50 years without a fuel gauge...

Dude your a star!!! I would realy appretiate the help thanks. Had a look at the config.cpp and thats what i tried to do when i first started messing around with this game. I looked at others work to try and get an idea as to how i just threw it in the cfg file but couldnt figure it out. But looking at this man its so dam easy lol. I knew it had somthing to do with that prefix file.

Going to try it for the health bar and see if i can do the same.

I disagree with baddo on the point that the community should not be blunt though. Frankly, blunt discourse is the most expedient method of exchanging information.

Well I think both positive and negative feedback can be given in a friendly, non-blunt manner. I've done that succesfully where I have worked and it worked very well everytime when I had something negative to say. People didn't take offense but they listened to my advise. On the rare occasions I have used a blunt style to tell my opinion the result has not been good. I admit being blunt is sometimes needed to put a 'difficult' member of a team back into line, but I see nothing like that is needed here in this thread.

Also take in notice this is a forum about a computer game. Do people really need to be blunt when speaking about a game to other players? I don't think so. This is all play for most of us.

Anyways, this is steering off-topic so I'll stop here smile_o.gif

hedcrusha next time just build it and release it for who wants to ...

this discussion about sense of life instead of thinking for what it can be used, is nuts nuts nuts....

its just a cool discovery and headcrusha made it, thats it buds....

close this thread and make a new one about the usage itself

knowhati'msayiiin.

regards,

zap