Sign in to follow this  
Big Nasty

Just a quciky

What language do the East guys on Sahrani speak and do the independants speak it too?

Well I dont know what game you bought but in mine they speak english (at least in SP)

No, I mean what is the national language of Sahrani and what is the language all the people there speak.

If it is indeed English, why are all the towns in Spanish?

You aint got nothing to do with your daytime, huh?

-> I cannot tell whether all towns have spanish names - but asssuming they do I'd say the island's language was Espagnol but due to matters of globalisation its inhabitants started to speak english -.-

I believe Spanish is meant to be the primary language, the AI simply speak in English so the player can understand when playing as SLA.

You aint got nothing to do with your daytime, huh?

Nope.

@Stainer

That's what I thought. I'm building a mission and I want to know what language to make the EAST guys speak in cutscenes.

My god. First off, what? Do people seriously make up their own languages? Huh? I guess so.

Second, no thanks, please someone help me with a serious on topic answer.

I think you got your awnser already. Stainer gave it. So do you speak spanish after all or what are you planning to do? Don't you like his answer?

Someone is trying to turn this thread into a joke whistle.gif

Anyway, have a look at this post in the Will Porter blog. The relevant part:

Quote[/b] ]The Sahrani guys, even if they’re not literate, which most of them are, usually speak at least three languages, a combination of their language (I don’t know what it’s called), French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, and English, so training them and talking to them can get to be a little bit confusing, because you don’t know who speaks what, and most of our guys can’t actually understand anyone.

That is referring to the South Sahrani people.

As for the North, I don't know. I guess it would be the same. Maybe mainly Spanish.

As obvious spanish would be, it's not quite up to scratch. Quote from William Porter's blog:

Quote[/b] ]

How to get toasted in one day…

April 20th, 2006

Also, since some people seemed confused, the Sahrani speak their own language, it’s just that most of them also speak a lot of other languages.� Really, to those of you who are confused, I just have to assume that you’re like most of the guys in my company — amazed to discover that outside of the states people speak more than one language.� The language barrier is not really so bad for them, or us, since we *do* get by. It’s just funny really, and the Sahrani Army (such as it is) doesn’t give orders in three languages like somebody said, just one.� Like I said, mostly it’s just confusing to our guys who only speak English.

For my missions, I've simply had them speaking Esperanto, which makes sense since it's quite influenced by the Romance languages and, when put into for instance one of those text-to-speech programs with a spanish voice sounds kinda nifty. smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

I dont know what language they speak but the AI names are portuguese and the geografic names on the map are also portugese. So I'd say find a portugese guy for your video  smile_o.gif

Edit: Aren't the names mostly in Spanish, not Portuguese?

Hey...the US Army has been using Esperanto as the language of the OPFOR forces for some time already, so it's not like I'm just picking at straws here biggrin_o.gif

And as mentioned : if you want to go canon, then Portuguese, Spanish, French, German, whatever is all wrong : they speak their own language, which is an amalgation (apparently) of these different languages. For comparison to similar situations take Maltese or various creoles (prominent in for instance the Caribbean). An island like Sahrani is, I believe, fairly likely to have exactly the type of language William Porter described in his blog.

Then again, the North might just be influenced more by either the revolution in Cuba and South America, or in a more general way by the Soviet Union, which might mean some (particularly the well-educated that went to Moscow or St.Petersburg to study) would prefer Russian. tounge2.gif

*shrug*

I just figured Esperanto is a pretty good middle ground between just using one of the many naturalized languages or just going all English. thumbs-up.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

Hey...the US Army has been using Esperanto as the language of the OPFOR forces for some time already, so it's not like I'm just picking at straws here  biggrin_o.gif

What form does that actually take in the US Army? Are

OPFOR documents written in Esperanto? Are orders given in

that language?

Edit: Aren't the names mostly in Spanish, not Portuguese?

No, they're portuguese. I know spanish and a little bit of portuguese, so i can differ smile_o.gif

Hmm. We need a definitave answer. Perhaps a team member can tell us.

@Col Faulkner

Hm, I don't really know. I checked out the internetz, and found for instance these links:

The Maneuver Enemy

A most unusual army manual

The first one has nice links to other places which discusses Esperanto being used as the language of the aggressors. Do check it out!

Regards,

Wolfrug