Sign in to follow this  
chammy

"To fix AT and RPG, Explosion dynamics" any?

I was wondering if anyone out there is working on the dynamics of the AT's and Explosion effects? The AT's need to have a faster lanuched effect, like a cannon, like a very quick action, and the AT rockets travel at a much faster speed. Same with the exploisons, they need to be faster, not like some fire bomb plume, I think OFP's explosions are better. Is there a way to corrcet this in the config? I really want to do it but I have no idea how the config works, I assume its almost similar to OFP's config bin file .

yeah it would be easy to do, but it would be a cheat in multiplayer so it might not be such a good idea.

But for a combat sim, shouldnt the AT's be real as possible too? Wonder if BI will correct this.

yeah it would be easy to do, but it would be a cheat in multiplayer so it might not be such a good idea.

I thought there is a way to disallow any/some mods/addons on a server huh.gif

I thought so too, but I wonder, if it would be made, I'm sure it would be a popular aspect. I'm sorry but there is nothing real about an AT rocket traveling at the same speed as a bottle rocket fire cracker. So far, so far, the only game that has this close to real thing is Delta Forces Black Hawk Down, and even that game is a joke....well , it is fun i have to admit though.

Let's call it a "bug" and post it into the bugtracker.

Best way to get rid of the little annoyances.

MfG Lee

well, i'm working on a mini mod that makes the ATs realistic like that, also adds blowback.. Guess we will wait and see if i can pull it off.

well, i'm working on a mini mod that makes the ATs realistic like that, also adds blowback.. Guess we will wait and see if i can pull it off.

I have faith in you EvEnLease.

we will have all that stuff in our mod too just need to mess with everything biggrin_o.gif

My main fix is to make all the explosions look real

and add fire effect!

We will see what happens crazy_o.gif

AT4s and RPG-7 are recoilless weapons there is no "blowback"

AT4s and RPG-7 are recoilless weapons there is no "blowback"

I think he's talking about the back blast.

gah, i got that wrong... i ment the back blast that makes the guy behind him fly threw a wall 10-15 feet behind him.

gah, i got that wrong... i ment the back blast that makes the guy behind him fly threw a wall 10-15 feet behind him.

No worries, that sounds awesome in a we are heading for 100% realism way.

The blast won't cause anyone to fly through a wall as much as cause serious burns and sound injury. For a proper term "Backblast".

we will have all that stuff in our mod too just need to mess with everything biggrin_o.gif

My main fix is to make all the explosions look real

and add fire effect!

We will see what happens crazy_o.gif

Awesome Ghost, just remmeber, from the looks of some explosions I've seen on video clips, most seem to disperse outward, not upwards, unless it was a 500lb bomb or very big explosion and alot do not have streams of smoke that bellow out like party streamers, and if you guys can create some debri effects, like shrapnel hitting the ground , as if using the bullet hitting the ground effect, I will be very excited yay.gif

This game will be competing with Call of Duty 4 when it comes out, but I'm still going to be a die hard OFP/ArmA fan non the less. But I have faith

You would be amazed at what you can do with Arma's effect engine. In ofp when you shot/blew up anything, it only used one basic effect for each type of ammo. This effect was based on a cloudlet system that could make a bland cloud of random colored smoke at best. In Arma, each weapon/ammo type can use its own effect, and each effect can have multiple layers of smoke/fire/sparks and you can even make custom lighting for each effect. A huge advantage is that the engine now uses the drop/particlesource style code, so these effects can have particles that execute scripts. For example, the smoke streamers on the rocket/small explosion effect are one particle that executes a script to drop another particle, making an arched stream of smoke. What does all this stuff mean? Unscripted nukes, bullet-based schrapnel, bouncing debris with fire effects, shock waves, and pretty much any thing you can imagine can be made without any clumsy mission or eventhandler based scripting, it would just plug into Arma without any extra effort. If you want a go at it, take a look in your CA.pbo's config.bin file, it contains all the effects and has tons of examples of how to make the various parts of an explosion. Remember though, its still limited by what your comp will handle. Its pretty easy to make a weapon that could cook your system, like if you make a rocket that would spawn 4 rockets, and then those rockets would spawn 16, then 64, then pretty soon the island and your vid card would be vaporized lol pistols.gif

There's a video of some Iranian troops using an RPG against some Iraqi tanks. One guy get's caught in the backblast and goes flying!!

Here's another example of what I'm talking about:

AT impact

If anyone is implementing backblast let me know, i can get some range templates that show lethal zones and danger zones behind certain weapons....

I changed the flight speed and range of the launchers too. But the AI can't handle the launcher now. Will this work on your config?

hello all,

I too would like to see back blast for those AT weapons that warrant it.

The inherent danger would make the AT weapons much more diff to use in MP.

Excellent stuff.

Although, are not the most modern man portable launchers, backblast free (or limited)?

I do seem to remember an incident from about 10-15 years ago when a group from one of the terrorist factions in NI tried to use some type of rpg from inside a car, and ended up frying themselves through the backblast.

Can anyone confirm/deny this story? or is it an urban myth?

Anyhow, def thumbs up for backblast

Rgds

LoK

I have notice OFP, VBS1,ARMA,VBS2 all do not have a backblast damage radius on any of there AT or AA weapons. whistle.gif [hint]