Sign in to follow this  
gumby123

1.08>   fastropes

sorry to slightly diverged... quick question?

Ya know the technique that mountain climbers use to roll up there ropes up so as when they throw them over the edge they 'unfurl/unravel' nicely...?

Does anyone know where I might find a description of this technique? I've googled my butt of on that...

The method I (and every other climber I've seen) use is apparently called the "butterfly coil". The alpine coil is an old fashioned method that twists the rope, leading to tangles. Fast roping rope is absolutely massive when compared to climbing/abseil/rappelling ropes, and would use another coil method.

Think it out... it would require more than most think to actually be practical and usefull. Currently we have two alternatives, low hover/land or para jump, i dont like the later... wouldnt mind seeing it removed for good.

This would also require new helicopter models, adapted to support the feature (none of that closed doors nonsense), rope simulation and operation, animations, code that involves physics...

Think about how long does it take to stop a helicopter at a specific altitude, drop the ropes, wait for 8 guys to fastrope, then drop the ropes and finally bail.

This means exposure for.. 1 minut+? Currently A PK gunner can snipe a pilot in 5 seconds, a DSHK in 2 seconds, a static helicopter is a dead helicopter, a moving helicopter might make it out, sometimes.

Currently the best way to insert in Arma is to fly fast, drop low and fly away, avoiding exposure as much as possible.

This means more changes to the game, when i already wonder why doesnt the a.i. RPG my helicopter while im hovering...

Much work and changes for something that is cool (yes i saw the movie too) but what about usefull/practical?

Im not against the idea... im just thinking about what is being asked smile_o.gif .

then make the glass bullet proof to an extent tounge2.gif

either way, it can be effective for the fast roping team, or it can be used to rack up kills on the other side

so its a win win situation...... to a degree

First I'd like to see the para bug fixed, then I'll think about ropes.

And more than ropes, I want the ability to step over 2 feet fences.

Or you could hope for something better?

Despite the impressions being given by a few over-zealous board members, I doubt VBS is the be-all and end-all of what is or is not possible with the engine. wink_o.gif

Personally it's not something that I am in a rush to see implemented, though it would be a nice touch. There are many other things that I'd rather see implemented and fixed first. I have no expectaion from BIS to implement this feature. This is something I feel the community might work on.

My reference to VBS2 Load master video showing a rope like object was just a way to show people that there is a possibility, and I agree that VBS2 isn't a showcase of the limits of the engines capabilities. I'm more than confident in this community to enhance the engine beyond anyone's expectations including BISs' and BIA's. OFP was proof that there are very few barriers that exist; and your team Deadmeat was living proof of the genius that exists in many forms in these forums that can meet these challenges. "Where there's a will there's a way". wink_o.gif

Fast roping has come to ArmA. You can get the template right here

have fun wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I keep seeing people ask about fast roping, but I don't see anyone responding to this early post with a link. Has anyone tried it?

ive tried it but its pretty cheesy,its at least a start

Or you could hope for something better?

Despite the impressions being given by a few over-zealous board members, I doubt VBS is the be-all and end-all of what is or is not possible with the engine. wink_o.gif

Personally it's not something that I am in a rush to see implemented, though it would be a nice touch. There are many other things that I'd rather see implemented and fixed first. I have no expectaion from BIS to implement this feature. This is something I feel the community might work on.

My reference to VBS2 Load master video showing a rope like object was just a way to show people that there is a possibility, and I agree that VBS2 isn't a showcase of the limits of the engines capabilities. I'm more than confident in this community to enhance the engine beyond anyone's expectations including BISs' and BIA's. OFP was proof that there are very few barriers that exist; and your team Deadmeat was living proof of the genius that exists in many forms in these forums that can meet these challenges. "Where there's a will there's a way".  wink_o.gif

While many would have you believe that, it's just not true. There are a ton of limitations this engine has that only BIS can change. What the community is good at is not "breaking" these limitations, but spending lots of time and effort trying to find mediocre workarounds that are far from perfect. In other words we do the best with what we have, and we all wish we could do it better.

Anyway, at least when it comes to asking BIS for favors, addon makers know what's best to ask: just enough work from BIS for us to do the rest ourselves.

Fast roping has come to ArmA. You can get the template right here

have fun wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I keep seeing people ask about fast roping, but I don't see anyone responding to this early post with a link. Has anyone tried it?

Not as good as the one on the BAS Helos but, it's better than nothing.

if i'm not mistaken, somebody mentioned earlier that Atari's box showed fast ropes on the back, it wouldn't make much sense to not have them if their posted on the box, thats like printing pictures of using laser guns on Call of Duty's boxes. simply misleading

lol to me, Atari's little box illustraion would fall somewhere under false advertisement... anyone want to file a lawsuit??? lol I j/k. Why can't someone who owns VBS2 take code from it and transfer it over to arma. I'm sure it wouln't be that hard considering they probably use the exact same parsing and such. Someone who was dumb enough to buy the training sim should look into the code and see if it can be used for ArmA mods/addons.

Why can't someone who owns VBS2 take code from it and transfer it over to arma. I'm sure it wouln't be that hard considering they probably use the exact same parsing and such.

Because that would be illegal? And really would end in the afforementioned lawsuit...

Man, you'd think people would get that by now... crazy_o.gif

you'd think icon_rolleyes.gif

@KJAM... Thanks mate... looking into it.

@fasad... And, again thanks... 'and would use another coil method'... any ideas what this method might called?

Reason I asked is I've always had this partially completed Maya anim lying around which I'd love to finish off some day in the hopes of being able to bring into ArmA. (originally started on that anim back in 2003!wink_o.gif

you'd think  icon_rolleyes.gif

There'll always be people who just never get it. confused_o.gif

@fasad... And, again thanks... 'and would use another coil method'... any ideas what this method might called?

No, fast roping is too different.

Out of curiousity I've been looking around globalsecurity.org with little success. Some useful search terms :

FRIES = Fast Rope Insertion Extraction System

FZ = Fast Rope Zone (like a landing zone).

Recommended UH60 configuration = fast rope coiled and placed upon floor, to be used as a seat by one soldier. Rappelling rope to be coiled and thrown in bag.

"Ensure rope is properly configured for deployment (back-fed to prevent tangles)"

"Rope Master will assist the first roper by pushing the rope out of the aircraft"

No, fast roping is too different.

Out of curiousity I've been looking around globalsecurity.org with little success. Some useful search terms :

FRIES = Fast Rope Insertion Extraction System

FZ = Fast Rope Zone (like a landing zone).

Recommended UH60 configuration = fast rope coiled and placed upon floor, to be used as a seat by one soldier. Rappelling rope to be coiled and thrown in bag.

"Ensure rope is properly configured for deployment (back-fed to prevent tangles)"

"Rope Master will assist the first roper by pushing the rope out of the aircraft"

aint the rope used to do fastrope is thick? i wonder if they are tired up all the time

p.s.the ropes in R6:vages is misleading, they are climbing ropes and are too thin for the needs of fastroping, but are used in normal rope down action (which should be a bit slower then you see in that game)

Fast rope is 4-inches thick (~100mm) where as climbing/abseiling/rappelling rope is normally 9~11mm. The military may use slightly thicker rope for abseiling/rappelling heavy loads.

In all the photos I've seen of fast roping, the top of the rope appears to be fixed to the helicopter from the start of the flight. I've seen videos where the entire rope is dropped on the ground after the cargo descend.

The vertical decent rate of abseiling/rappelling can as fast if not faster than fast-roping, but you can only have one person on a rope at a time, whereas fast roping can have many. You also need to detach your descender from the rope when abseiling/rappelling, whereas fast-ropers just walk away.

Fast rope is 4-inches thick (~100mm) where as climbing/abseiling/rappelling rope is normally 9~11mm. The military may use slightly thicker rope for abseiling/rappelling heavy loads.

In all the photos I've seen of fast roping, the top of the rope appears to be permanently attached to the helicopter. I've seen a video where the entire rope is dropped on the ground after the cargo descend.

The vertical decent rate of abseiling/rappelling can as fast if not faster than fast-roping, but you can only have one person on a rope at a time, whereas fast roping can have many. You also need to detach your descender from the rope when abseiling/rappelling, whereas fast-ropers just walk away.

normally the rope is attached to a fast release lock that once the onborad soldiers are roped out the ropes will be drop and the chopper fly away, no time to risk your life for some ropes

that would be cool too, after the troops are deployed the ropes would hit the ground and be left in a pile rather than dissappearing. kinda like a corpse, so its more or less a "pile of scrap" that stays there.

Fast ropes are actually more like 44mm in diameter, because gripping a 100mm rope [securely enough for fast roping] would be hard work for even those with the biggest hands...

In all the photos I've seen of fast roping, the top of the rope appears to be fixed to the helicopter from the start of the flight. I've seen videos where the entire rope is dropped on the ground after the cargo descend.

The rope is ALWAYS attached to the FRIES point before takeoff, and is ALWAYS jettisoned after roping. Trying to fly the chopper with upto 120 feet of thick, heavy rope hanging below the chopper makes for some interesting flight characteristics, and re-coiling the rope into the chopper takes too long (considering fast roping is usually used for rapid insertions, you dont want the chopper hanging around while the crewchief re-winds the rope...)

so what do they do with that rope after its dropped? do they even go back to get it later or just leave it?

so what do they do with that rope after its dropped? do they even go back to get it later or just leave it?

They launch operation rope retrieval, basically a blackhawk flies in and some SF's guys fastrope at this location to retrieve the rope.

I've heard rumours that they do it very often for some reason... smile_o.gif .

They launch operation rope retrieval, basically a blackhawk flies in and some SF's guys fastrope at this location to retrieve the rope.

I've heard rumours that they do it very often for some reason... smile_o.gif .

in the book blackhawk down, the soldiers we're actually ordered to retrieve the ropes, as they we're expensive as hell. As u all quessed no ropes we're ever returned to base....