Sign in to follow this  
cef71

As good as OFP's?

Guest Ti0n3r
-Robotic animation movements

Have you EVER even played OFP? crazy_o.gif

I was talking in terms of gameplay, not engine potential.

I fail to see how animations are better in ARMA. You shoot somebody while reloading, and their still reloading.

Please explain more. Explain what you can do in ARMA and you can't do better in OFP? (In terms of gameplay!wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]-Controls double tap and lean are a great addition to the standard OFP commands that are still there and with TrackIR and better Joystick interfaces we can make real use of the updated and improved flight model

I'm not the only one saying controls are far worst. Improved flight model, are you kidding?

Keep in mind that were talking here mouse and keyboard like in OFP. I could buy a joystick, but I don't want to for such a game.

Quote[/b] ]-Interface is much better, getting units to pick up new items ammo and weapons is much easier now it is all point and click instead of the the old square bracket menus and radio commands though they still there just like OFP.

I say the opposite. How could it be much easier than OFP? In OFP you had the mousewheel that did everything, in ARMA you have a gazillion useless buttons. Talk about senseless complexity.

Quote[/b] ]-Animation is far more complex than OFP you only have to consider the range of new death animations to prove that though looking at the Wiki proves just how many new anmimations there are overall the animations are more fluid and less robotic than OFP

How does that improved gameplay if animations are bugged? I rather have few good animations than a bunch of bugged ones.

Quote[/b] ]-The effects are better, vehicles now burn when they blow up instead of turning into clipping origami, ditto buildings now crumble to ruble which once again beats the old OFP origami clipping traps.

Effects are worst than in even FDF mod. How can you say that shooting a tire and having it turn to rust is better than the OFP method?

Quote[/b] ]-Bullets now ricochet and the beginnings of penetration modeling allow us to shoot through wooden fences and single course block walls the AI knows to do it to

That hardly affects gameplay, and its bugged. Go to some tests and see how bugged it is.

Quote[/b] ]-MP is a thousand times better; massive 60 and even 100 games with JIP and lots of new game forms like Berzerk and evolution. The network code is a thousand times more stable.

How come there are few players online then? How come OFP 2 years after released had far more online activity than ARMA does now?

Quote[/b] ]-That feeling from OFP is still there

Its not. but I agree to disagree on this issue since its more of a matter of opinions

Hey guys, cut the man some slack, Luciano told me he only has ArmA 1.02 for heavens sake.  A couple of those points are valid for that revision...  The hostility is getting more and more misplaced however, as he has nothing to judge the advancements upon.  He's just an angry soul.

Did you drop when shot while reloading in this 'OFP' you love so much? I don't seem to remember that.

>850 players online in the middle of the day here in the Eastern US time zone.

Stating that ArmA has better graphics than Flashpoint should go without saying since there are around 5 years between the games.

ArmA has some improved aspects over Flashpoint, but there again it also has some aspects that were good in Flashpoint that they have now totally messed up in ArmA.

Collision detection is a lot better in ArmA now, not as much clipping through walls and fences, but it still feels wrong when inside buildings and running up flights of stairs, just isn't a solid feeling.

Random objects still sometimes bounce when shot or crashed "don't know if any of that has been fixed with the latest patch" since I don't play ArmA at the moment though.

ArmA's campaign is absolutly shit compared to Flashpoint in my view, and that has been said by quite a lot of people on here before.

All in all, ArmA is like Flashpoint with vastly improved graphics, some new features like leaning "only a new feature taking into account that Flashpoint didn't have it, but other games have had it for years and years", hand grenades now deflect of objects "even that they may bounce like 30 meters away", vehicles now burn and don't twist like they did in Flashpoint but the model change that happens when the tank for instance is hit is too obvious, and rusty looking... Im gonna stop now.

Really, I think ArmA could or make that should of been a whole lot better, with more of the old game engines problems fixed by now, but there still there.

Im just waiting now for Operation Flashpoint 2 to come out, and I must say I don't think I can be any more dissapointed with that than what I was with ArmA.

ps.

I probably wouldn't have had any problems with ArmA if I had never played Flashpoint, but as Flashpoint has probably been my all time favorite game, ArmA simply isn't the leap forward I was hoping for.

ArmA shines in two areas when comparing to OFP... Outlooks and scripting commands. Still there are few commands which i would have liked to see (LOS-check forexample) but current new commands are like heaven, expacely those which can tweak AI's behaviour. So much new posibilities and old ways are easier to do now. notworthy.gif

And i'm just mere beginner, what more advanced people are going to do with FSM-editor? ArmA ends up being game that has AI which can't be challenged by any other game in near future inlove.gif

Armed Assault has far better controls and game play experience compared to OFP. There's far more you can do with it than in OFP's limited engine. Although quite buggy with graphical interface , AI behavior and such. But even OFP started out extremely buggy and ended up a masterpiece. If BIS doesn't stop work on refinement of Armed Assault then I would gladly recommend buying it. Even if not for the online multi player itself.

But I wouldn't pass up on dog food for me mutt just to buy this game. whistle.gif

Let's put it this way: ArmA has a long way to go before I start playing it regularly. OFP 1.96 is still a much more enjoyable experience for the time being.

My main problem with it is that this game has no soul like Flashpoint did. Flashpoint was a microcosm of World War 3, which to a degree is a fantastic (as in, fantasy-like, the real meaning of the word) idea. The setting and the units lent themselves to people making missions within that timeframe that capitalized on the whole Cold War idea. Invading Malden was a serious undertaking! The US and the Russians fighting!?! People could play out these hypothetical WW3 missions and scenarios over and over again because it is this mysterious and awesome (as in, inspiring awe) thing that thankfully never happened. Do you think Facile Ground would be just as good if ported verbatim to ArmA?

ArmA is just a bunch of guys with sparse equipment on some unappealing island...I don't see any sort of larger context to it than that. It's random Communists against random...other guys. I get no sense from ArmA of fighting for anything other than the real estate under my character's boots. Don't confuse that with any sort of Vietnam-vibe, though. Sahrani isn't big enough or significant enough to evoke that feeling of a major military effort for the wrong reason or no reason, like Vietnam.

So when I want to run around shooting enemies for a few minutes, I play BF2 because it's mindless entertainment. When I want to get engrossed in an imaginary world where captivating storytelling is possible, I play OFP. ArmA doesn't fit in either category and as such I don't yet play it regularly. I find that the biggest US servers are playing Berserk, which is basically BF2. And BF2 does what BF2 does a lot better than ArmA can do it.

BIS will fix recoil values, scripting stuff, performance issues...but I don't know if they can give it a soul. I hope I'm wrong.

dont think ArmA ever attemped to be BF2, but what it want to do is to be a better OFP in terms of freedom, a bridge so far right now, but you say it is "soulless"?!??! crazy_o.gif

The community will give it "soul" like they did with OFP.

So when I want to run around shooting enemies for a few minutes, I play BF2 because it's mindless entertainment. When I want to get engrossed in an imaginary world where captivating storytelling is possible, I play OFP. ArmA doesn't fit in either category and as such I don't yet play it regularly. I find that the biggest US servers are playing Berserk, which is basically BF2. And BF2 does what BF2 does a lot better than ArmA can do it.

BIS will fix recoil values, scripting stuff, performance issues...but I don't know if they can give it a soul. I hope I'm wrong.

I agree about the lack of "soul" or interesting storyline, compared to OFP, yup, the whole WW3 thing had a deeper feeling.

Now, when it comes to MP, 1st, even Berzerk is not BF2, because it has the ArmA's edge that BF2 can't have (scale, even if some Berzerk maps don't use it that much), and 2nd, Berzerk is only 1 mission type and the beginning of what could be done. And ArmA gives us the possibility to do much more, imho. We're only in the first step

When I talk about soul I'm talking about a quality within the game itself, right out of the box, that inspires people to spend months creating scripts, missions, and thousands of addons that will never be featured in a mission. OFP had that because of all the things I mentioned and the sheer originality and brilliance of it all.

There's no way to know what the community is going to come up with for ArmA but I feel like whatever it is, it's can't possibly be as groundbreaking as figuring out how to edit BIS models was, for example. I mean, we can't do that yet but people are importing their own models into ArmA - and have been doing so in OFP for years - so it's not the same stumbling block that it was in OFP.

But to repeat myself I don't see that same spark to break down all the barriers and dive deeper into the game's environment. That's the soul that I'm referring to, the quality the game has to drive us all to do that.

They'll patch it, I'll play it, but it's going to take quite a bit to unseat OFP as my #1.

*edit*

Remember this?

"...they're saying our wave will be the easiest, but I don't believe them...they always say that..."

"Well I'm not afraid! ..."

"This is NOT an exercise, and I don't wanna see you going home in a box..."

I got the OFP demo out of a PC Gamer magazine, fired it up, and was blown away...at the end of the mission you're floating down by parachute into the middle of an enemy armored force...will you run? Will you hide? Will you fight? After it faded out I sat stunned for another two minutes.

Where's the ArmA equivalent of "Ambush?"

I think it's under every criteria that SEAL84 is trolled by dudes like 4 IN 1, whisper and a kind, and I think that some are more blind that I'm pissed(drunk) right now.

I got the OFP demo out of a PC Gamer magazine, fired it up, and was blown away...at the end of the mission you're floating down by parachute into the middle of an enemy armored force...will you run?  Will you hide?  Will you fight?  After it faded out I sat stunned for another two minutes.

Where's the ArmA equivalent of "Ambush?"

Amen.

What kinf of BS it this? Do you know/realise how stupid this statement is?

Here you go, I have done my share of trilling ...

Quote[/b] ]I think it's under every criteria that SEAL84 is trolled by dudes like 4 IN 1, whisper and a kind,

I don't see anybody trolling, or flaming. It's a frank discussion on OFP versus ArmA and they disagreed with what I said, is all. 4 in 1 was...incredulous. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]What kinf of BS it this? Do you know/realise how stupid this statement is?

That is trolling/flaming.

I don't see anybody trolling, or flaming.  It's a frank discussion on OFP versus ArmA and they disagreed with what I said, is all.  4 in 1 was...incredulous. wink_o.gif

Suit youself.

Quote[/b] ]What kinf of BS it this? Do you know/realise how stupid this statement is?

That is trolling/flaming.

That's what I said SEAL84 icon_rolleyes.gif ,,, but nevermind.

EDIT: but I'm staying at that that quoted statement is a BS.

i just dont like that something get toasted somewhere in a closet and forgoten eventhrough it shouldnt have been huh.gif

everybody have their own definition of something that others disbelieve or disagree

But your habbit is to argue/troll any definition which isn't like yours.

i dont think i need to creat a X000 words post to explain "why i think ArmA have soul"?

anyway, my definition about if something have soul is quite different from what you might think of, and all to respect its a stand point of view that if someone is trolling others, you may think i am trolling seal, i can think thay you are trolling me

this topic had gone a little bit OT BTW

I think it's under every criteria that SEAL84 is trolled by dudes like 4 IN 1, whisper and a kind, and I think that some are more blind that I'm pissed(drunk) right now.

Wait wait wait....

disagreeing with someone is trolling, now?

You realise that the only one trolling here, is yourself?

OFP had that 'soulful' feeling because of the campaign had a pretty good plot, likable characters that you cared about and kickass music to keep the intensity high. Pair that with it's sandbox type gameplay and you had an instant winner.

Hopefully BIS realizes and remedies this with a future 'Resistance' style expansion complete with stable engine and you have another winner.

As much as I loved those 2 original campaigns, I could never go back goodnight.gif

What kinf of BS it this? Do you know/realise how stupid this statement is?

Here you go, I have done my share of trilling ...

You don't really make yourself look smart when you can't even get your grammar correct son. I guess your avatar explains it all. Now go hide yourself.

My point is that just like OFP , ArmA is a very flexible game and doesn't really need a stunning campaign when the people themselves can create one using the editor. For those that find it too complex there's always BF2.

You don't really make yourself look smart when you can't even get your grammar correct son. I guess your avatar explains it all. Now go hide yourself.

I was not totally sober then (which don't means that I didn't knewed what I'm typing), and was typed pretty quickly (was not at home but in Cyber Caffe), and if you would look a bit closely you would see that there's not mispelling in question, but mistyping. And English is not my native language, so this is just your helplessness talking out from you. And for the rest of the quote ,,, it's equally pathetic as the part I commented, which says much for you.

Quote[/b] ]My point is that just like OFP , ArmA is a very flexible game and doesn't really need a stunning campaign when the people themselves can create one using the editor. For those that find it too complex there's always BF2.

Another BS from you. If you don't understand it what I mean I won't explain it to you, because by all means it would be totally pointless, just this; by this (idiotic) logic there would be soon no games on the market, but just some (bugged?) editors, and then you custumer go buy them and go to fiddle yourself with them. I didn't buyed OFP because of the Editor. Have you?

And I've done with your smart arse.

EDIT:

@whisper - Sorry if I offended you, but for instance there's lots of your posts in 'dissaponting' thread, and I don't think they're like 'complaint posts', and in one ocasion you're even addmiting that (some of) you at some point are spamming the thread. No bad feelings I hope. wink_o.gif

Look man you're a pea brain as far as I'm concerned , which I point out again , that avatar suites you well.

And actually yes...if OFP didn't have an editor I'd have passed it up for sure.

I didn't buyed OFP because of the Editor. Have you?

Nope - because when I bought OFP I didn't know nothing about such editor. I bought ArmA for the editor though.

About a grammar you smart arse ...

Look man you're a pea brain as far as I'm concerned , which I point out again , that avatar suites you well.

Now I've really done with you.