Sign in to follow this  
Darkyyy

Vista Black load screen?

UpDate I have My 2900xt sapphire working with the vista 64 after using beta 7.8 drivers and vista updates found herehttp://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1687

Hopes this helps It worked with 1.06 I am now updating will report back

Game is running in 1.08 now I have to find the tweaks as the game degrades during playback textures fade and fps second drops.

Atleast I can now launch the Game in Vista64 and try to figure out the problems before there was just no hope.

Ok! Now its working.. a bit better. Why do sometimes all the hmm how do you say it.. textures drops down like i would you use extra extra low settings!? anyone? help.gif

Are you talking about after viewing the map, or respawning... the graphics take 1-2 secs to fully load? (looking straight down loads them fastest for me)

I see that ocasionally, I believe it's a driver issue still being worked on by nvidia. With some of the older drivers I never seen it.

I meant when ive been playing in 5-30min sometimes it just crash.. but i heard that this is "normal".. and only thing to do is to wait patches to arma and/or nvidia.

Let me ask something:

How many of you guys that have this problem have 4Gb of ram?

I have Vista 64 Home Premium with 4gb Ram. Do you know something we don't?!

i've got vista ultimate 64 and 4 gbs ram. matra, why the question about ram?

I found a work-around some months back that seemed to work for quite a few people using Vista. Uninstall DX10 and install the latest DX9 available via Microsoft. Although, this "fix" seems to be hit and miss at best.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloa....oryid=2

Actually you may have somthing..but do not uninstall DX10!!

I do keep DX9 updated also b/c of 3dmark06.

Other than that I've done,

Vsync forced off.

-maxmem=512

no SLI.

ArmA plays with no issues.

Simple,

My ArmA was working with -maxmem=256 rock solid on my rig

E6600@3700

Commando MB

BFG 8800GTX

2x1024 Cell Shock 6800 Mem @ 460FSB (920Mhz)

RAID 0

X-FI

Win Vista Ultimate x64

Today other 2 Dimm of mem (same as above) came from RMA (been there 2 months sad_o.gif)

I instaled the dimms, and guess what.... the same problem as you guys! I DIDNT CHANGE ANYTHING, only put the 2 dimm in place.

icon_rolleyes.gif

The problem here its not drivers its the game itself.

Simple,

My ArmA was working with -maxmem=256 rock solid on my rig

E6600@3700

Commando MB

BFG 8800GTX

2x1024 Cell Shock 6800 Mem @ 460FSB (920Mhz)

RAID 0

X-FI

Win Vista Ultimate x64

Today other 2 Dimm of mem (same as above) came from RMA (been there 2 months sad_o.gif)

I instaled the dimms, and guess what.... the same problem as you guys! I DIDNT CHANGE ANYTHING, only put the 2 dimm in place.

icon_rolleyes.gif

The problem here its not drivers its the game itself.

Ok i have 4 gigs of ram too, but that your finding is really interesting shouldnt be hard to fix with a patch.. i think. yay.gif

Maybe... or maybe not, I know 3 friends that stop playing ArmA cause of this error:

errorna2.jpg

And many more that have bought ArmA and dont visit this forum stoped too im shure, for them -maxmem doesnt exist.

Till now the only support that users with this error had, come from the comunity, no hot fixes nothing, BIS didnt even bother too reply .

So I dont have big hopes with this too. Maybe some dedicated user can solve this too.

Ok I too can confirm that vista64bit + Arma + 4gb ram does not work here either (black loading screen)

I did a fresh install today of Vista64bit, Arma and Catalyst 7.7 with only 2gb ram installed.

Arma fired up perfectly with no black load screen. I then installed my third stick or ram to make my system 3gb and still no black load screen. When I finally installed the fourth stick of ram to make it 4gb, black load screen!

So we are getting somewhere, but we are not there yet as unfortunatley I now get the following error after playing a bit of Arma.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Cannot create system memory surface DXT5,2048x2048 (size 5592416 B)

Error code 8007000e

I got this error when I tried to play under Vista32bit and I know according to the Arma Troubleshooting guide on the BIKI that I need to use the -maxmem=512 command.

BIKI - Troubleshooting

But this only seems to extend the time to crash not fix the crashing completely.

So as far as I see it there is a Arma/Vista64bit problem and a general Arma/Vista problem.

1. Vista64bit with 4Gb of ram = Arma black load screen (3Gb or less = no black load screen)

2. Vista32/64bit and Arma will eventually crash to desktop with a DXT memory error (The length of time to crash to desktop can be increased by using the -maxmem=512 command, but not eradicated)

Thanks to MATRA for spotting the Vista64bit/4Gb ram issue.

Just tried my self.. one memory stick out and it starts.. but crashes sometime later in "cannot create system memory surface.." or blue screen.

Lets hope they patch this soon. thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]So we are getting somewhere, but we are not there yet as unfortunatley I now get the following error after playing a bit of Arma.

Code Sample

Cannot create system memory surface DXT5,2048x2048 (size 5592416 B)

Error code 8007000e

I got this error when I tried to play under Vista32bit and I know according to the Arma Troubleshooting guide on the BIKI that I need to use the -maxmem=512 command.

BIKI - Troubleshooting

But this only seems to extend the time to crash not fix the crashing completely.

Hi m8.

You can solve the problem the Error code 8007000e with the -maxmem=256.

512 and 1024 wont work.

As for the 4gb issue, now that we have confirmation, lets cross fingers and hope that BIS fix it.

Im curious if the happens in XP x64 too.

Time passes by more and more people will have Vista OS, 4gb, and new generation rigs, this means more and more problems for a lot of people. Lets hope ArmA doesnt stop in time.

Quote[/b] ]

Im curious if the happens in XP x64 too.

This does not happen in XPx64 as that is the OS I have to run Arma in.

I have requested a Arma Bug Reporting account so when I get his I will post up our findings on the 4GB Vista/64bit issue.

i had to pull out 2 1gb sticks to get mine to work. but it does work under vista64 now! i didn't have to use any special switches like maxmem. it's been months - thank you whoever thought of the ram thing for radeon cards!

vista64 ultimate

2900xt 1gb diamond

catalyst 8.40rc3

2 gb ram

e6600 cpu

it ran fine for 20 minutes on mp.

Maybe... or maybe not, I know 3 friends that stop playing ArmA cause of this error:

errorna2.jpg

And many more that have bought ArmA and dont visit this forum stoped too im shure, for them -maxmem doesnt exist.

Till now the only support that users with this error had, come from the comunity, no hot fixes nothing, BIS didnt even bother too reply .

So I dont have big hopes with this too. Maybe some dedicated user can solve this too.

I can also confirm that having 4Gb of RAM caused AA to load with the infamous 'black screen of death'... However, the game now simply crashes with a

"Cannot create system memory surface DXT5,2048x2048 (size 5592416 B) Error code 8007000e" message. Honesty, good work Matra, but you fix one thing and anther breaks it seems. PATCH!

Hi do you use -maxmem=256?

Right-click the Arma shortcut on your desktop and goto Properties.

Add -maxmem=256 to the end of the first line called "Target"

I, too have seen this problem on a Vista-64 machine with 4 GB of RAM. (AMD X2 5200+, 8800 GTS (640MB) and said 4 GB of memory on a nForce 590 SLI-based motherboard.)

I have also been able to make the problem go away:

<ul>[*]Using the nVidia 162.22 drivers the phenomenon described in this thread appears.

[*] However, after reverting to the older 158.24 drivers, the problem is gone.

[*] I've added a "-maxmem=512" parameter to the ArmA shortcut.

[*] June 2007 DirectX update installed. (There seems to be an August update out now)

When 162.22 was used and ArmA failed to start properly, the arma.rpt file was rapidly being filled with lines such as this one:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Error: Failed to create surface texture

Hope that helps!

I can confirm this 158.24 works as a charm!

excellent finding Killswitch.

It seems the problem is a bit more complex then we thought.

update for those with 4gb ram, vista64 and a radeon card who get the black screen.

in vista you can limit the amount of ram the OS recognizes at boot up. using msconfig you limit it under advanced boot options. i have to set mine to 2048, more and arma won't load with textures. it's not as good as not limiting ram, but at least one doesn't have to physically pull the ram out. if anyone finds a way to change the amount of ram vista recognizes "on the fly" please speak up. :-) it'd be nice to just have an "arma" profile and not have to reboot to use all one's ram.

Well, ive tried everything mentioned in this thread and nothings helped.

Those who are bashing Vista are doing nobody any favours here, and not only that they are completely wrong.

The problem lies with the GPU manufacturer's as well as Bohemia, this game is famous for its glitches and bugs and because of this i think its pretty clear who's the most at fault.

Every other game of mine runs perfect other than this one.

i have managed to play ArmA on this PC, but it was so long ago i cannot remember when it was.

There's been little action about this game-stopping bug....cant say i'm surprised.