Sign in to follow this  
Solus

SLX Example Weapons

yes.. you're wrong smile_o.gif

okidoki smile_o.gif

So the changed red dot is as in real life?

I think we are not speaking about the new red dot or something else.. but we are talking about the method... and the actual method works fine... for my version of the trijicon reflex i placed the reticle farther than solus to have a better aim at medium range because an aimpoint sight also had a "zero point" and must be calibrated.

On the "real life" video.. maybe the red dot is on the center of teedy beer.. but not sure the bullet will really go at the same point smile_o.gif except if the zero point is calibrated very close..

im kinda confused now,

i don't know wich demo version has it more simulated to real life confused_o.gif

can you please link it to me?

am i wrong?

Probably what made you think that is "Notice that the impact is not exactly on the aimpoint". It's actually a good thing, and has nothing to do with Solus's aimpoint, but with ArmA's weapon modeling. When looking through the sights of a weapon, you don't see the exact location of the bullet strike. Instead, the line of the bore and the line of the sights are more or less parallel. This is a bit of a simplified explanation, to show what I meant while describing the picture.

A bit more technical on the sights: the sights are aligned with the weapon in a way that the bullet will cross the line of sight twice - one near the weapon and one far. The farther point is often called the zero-range or distance. It means that when firing to that range, the bullet will strike exactly there (ideally, windage and many other factors make it not quite perfect), while shooting farther will result in the bullet striking lower than aimed, and shooting closer will result in the bullet striking higher than aimed. Take a look at this picture:

Octobe3.jpg

Of course it's quite exaggerated, but I hope it will help you picture it. Note that when firing closer than the first point will result in the bullet striking lower, as in ArmA's weapons, and as shown in the picture I posted.

edit:

im kinda confused now,

i don't know wich demo version has it more simulated to real life confused_o.gif

can you please link it to me?

The first version (posted on the first page of this thread) has the aimpoint working fine. Only problems reported are some shadowing and other graphical issues. The best way to see that it's actually working is to free-look while not in sights mode and align you view so that you see the red dot of the aimpoint. Shoot, and you'll see that the aimpoint is working, since the impact will be where the aimpoint red dot is (aside from very close, where as explained it will be slightly lower). Try the same with the original M4 with aimpoint and notice that it doesn't work. Hope this clears your confusion...

The first version (posted on the first page of this thread) has the aimpoint working fine. Only problems reported are some shadowing and other graphical issues. The best way to see that it's actually working is to free-look while not in sights mode and align you view so that you see the red dot of the aimpoint. Shoot, and you'll see that the aimpoint is working, since the impact will be where the aimpoint red dot is (aside from very close, where as explained it will be slightly lower). Try the same with the original M4 with aimpoint and notice that it doesn't work. Hope this clears your confusion...

cristal!

thanks for the edit smile_o.gif

Further, if the bullets are not hitting exactly where you are aiming as they are not in that diagram, this is because a) the sights are zeroed to some spot in the distance (arma default for assault rifles I think is around 400 m) and the sight's floating red dot is also calibrated to some distance- often not the same one. That red dot in the video there was calibrated for 40 meters IIRC. So, if the rifles was zeroed for 40 meters, then the bullet would hit the spot where the red dot is at 40 meters. Since their zero is 10 times out of phase, and the bullets aren't coming out of the sights but at some point lower like in the drawing above, you can expect some error, especially at extreme distances or when you're spectating a distant target while not looking through the centre of the sight.

I've just done an interesting discover when investigating the arma.exe :

To use the hide magazine feature used by default in the game simply use this code :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class reload_magazine { type="hide"; source="reloadMagazine"; selection="magazine"; hidevalue=0.10; };

the 0.10 value indicate to hide the magazine after 10% of the reload sequence (when the hand is on it).

Le++: Thanks for those pictures! I've changed the magazine and bullets around and it should be closer to what those look like. I had to base it on the G36 magazine though so I think it's a little longer.

DarkGiver: Great find! Can't wait to give that a try! I also got that minvalue setting working, thanks for figuring that out too. What did you use to find that line?

I didn't exactly find this line.. but i searched in the game exe for the Animation controler.. and i've found an interesting line... with the unkown animation type message... and the list of the animation type :

hide, translationZ, translationY, translationX, translation, rotationZ, rotationY, rotationX, rotation, disabled, Default_UVchange, UVchange, Mirror, Loop, Clamp...

And using the same logic i tried to test the "hide" one... and i also found the "hidevalue".. after some test that worked fine... smile_o.gif

There is certainly some news things to discover wink_o.gif

So, this 'hideValue', I'm guessing it only works with the 'hide' animation type? Would be useful having something similiar for other anims.

DarkGiver: Alright, I found it too now, thanks! I've got it working with the magazine moving before being removed so it looks like the magazine slides out of the magazine well about synchronized with the hand movement and then disappears when the hand moves away.

KyleSarnik: MinValue might work for others similarly but I've got to test it out some more.

Here's version 1.2:

Changes:

Removed alpha hide texture for hiding bullets.

Changed XMS magazine and bullet layout to be more correct. Thanks Le++!

Made spring thicker.

Made Beretta and XMS magazines leave magazine well in synchronization with left hand movements then get hidden when reloading. Thanks to DarkGiver for figuring out how to hide parts and how to use the minValue setting!

Detailed XMS magazine follower and made it move all the way up the magazine so it can be seen when reloading.

Made visible bullets in XMS magazine move with the magazine follower and then stop when unseen.

Made all XMS bullets get hidden when empty.

SLX XMS Example 1.2 @ FileFront.com

SLX XMS Example 1.2 @ RogePost.com

Looking great. The reload looks very well, actually looks like the soldier is removing the empty magazine.

Great work!

weee.. going to test now! dling..

i post feedback on an edit:

edit: It looks nice indeed, but when you pic the civilian, and look to the mag, in 3rd person view with soldier lean, you can see that the magazine is half full.. and it gives the feeling that misses some bullets in the magazine. Is this suppose to be like this?

Another thing: i personally would like to see a red dot smaller and the scope more defined and well finished, what about the rest of the people here?

Solus: can you implement that "special" recoil you've done ? wink_o.gif

DarkGiver: Alright, I found it too now, thanks! I've got it working with the magazine moving before being removed so it looks like the magazine slides out of the magazine well about synchronized with the hand movement and then disappears when the hand moves away.

KyleSarnik: MinValue might work for others similarly but I've got to test it out some more.

Here's version 1.2:

Changes:

Made spring thicker.

Made Beretta and XMS magazines leave magazine well in synchronization with left hand movements then get hidden when reloading. Thanks to DarkGiver for figuring out how to hide parts and how to use the minValue setting!

Detailed XMS magazine follower and made it move all the way up the magazine so it can be seen when reloading.

Made visible bullets in XMS magazine move with the magazine follower and then stop when unseen.

Very good job Solus wink_o.gif that's a great step for the community...

And now.. we need to find the other secrets... wink_o.gif

Any idea on how to handle different muzzle on a weapon (by muzzle i mean.. another gun function.. like Grenadelauncher) to be able to animate the GL too.. i was not able to do that actually and it's very important... i also didn't found the source anim for fire selector... can be great too. Still searching...

But we progress fast.. certainly faster than BIS had expected wink_o.gif

Hell yes, it would be great if you guys could get the ole GL to pop open when reloading. Fantabulous, even.

Here's version 1.2:

Changes:

Made spring thicker.

Very good job Solus wink_o.gif that's a great step for the community...

And now.. we need to find the other secrets... wink_o.gif

Any idea on how to handle different muzzle on a weapon (by muzzle i mean.. another gun function.. like Grenadelauncher) to be able to animate the GL too.. i was not able to do that actually and it's very important...  i also didn't found the source anim for fire selector... can be great too. Still searching...

But we progress fast.. certainly faster than BIS had expected wink_o.gif

I'm not sure if it works with the reloadMagazine controller but you can define a custom controller for a specific weapon:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class AnimationSources

{

class MachineGun

{

source = "reload"; //The controller used for the definition of

//this controller.

weapon = MachineGun25W; //In the specific case of using the reload

}; //controller, the weapon class name.

};

Not sure if it works for different muzzles though, or if it works on infantry weapons at all (the above example is obviously for a vehicle).

Ok, the "hideValue" seems to work when the controller input is equal to or greater than the value. But is there anyway to get it to hide when it's less than or equal to that value? I've tried minValue and maxValue but they had no effect.

Le++: Thanks!

bravo 6: I might update it next time with each bullet animated to keep moving with the magazine follower until they are all grouped at the top and look like the last two bullets, then hide them when they're gone. It's possible with the minValue and maxValue now so maybe someone else will be able to do that.

Al Simmons: Thanks! Great job on the G11!

DarkGiver: Indeed, I wouldn't have guessed so much would happen after releasing version 1.0! I don't think we'll find a fire selector source, but who knows. Maybe something can be done with the weapon setting like KyleSarnik suggested.

KyleSarnik: Interesting idea about the "weapon=" entry, maybe that might be a way to get animations working for grenade launchers.

Edit:

ZeroG_181: The space at the bottom of the magazine is for the magazine spring. It looks thin because the texture is squished, it's supposed to look thicker when compressed but I haven't thought of a way to make it like that yet.

On 1.2 the ammo starts half way up the mag, and it still uses up more ammo than it appears to have.

Thats because the rounds aren't loaded all the way to the bottom of the magazine (as previously established) and the rounds are loaded higher into the magazine than the base of the magazine well.

It still looks odd, i think. In the 1.0 version, it looked OK, but the rounds looked like they were being used up 2 at a time.

Is it possible to make the bolt move forward on each

cycle rather than backwards as in all the examples so far? I'm

thinking of weapons that fire from an open bolt (Sten guns.

for example)

Yes it is, easiest way is to move the bolt to the backwards position first and then change the direction of movement to negative in config (or move end selection of axis behind start - if you're using "translation" and not "translationX" animation).

In the end it's a matter of trail and error, untill we get the new O2 that is.

You could alse check the racks weapons addon - it has Uzi in it IIRC.

BTW: Solus did forgot to mention and not all did notice: to make the axes work correctly you need a named selection in your resolution LOD:

Name: autocenter

value: 0

Otherwise axes get shifted.

Quote[/b] ]Ok, the "hideValue" seems to work when the controller input is equal to or greater than the value. But is there anyway to get it to hide when it's less than or equal to that value? I've tried minValue and maxValue but they had no effect.
I tried to, but in no way sucseeded. My suggestion is to use rotation instead and rotate the parts you want to dissapear so that they hide inside the weapon:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> class belt_hide1

{

memory=1;

type="rotationZ";

axis="hide_axis";

source="revolving";

selection="belt1";

minValue="0.07501"; // The minimum value of the motion range. i.e. The controller input when animation phase is 0.

maxValue="0.07502"; // The maximum value of the motion range. i.e. The controller input when animation phase is 1.

angle0="rad 180"; // The starting angle of this animation, where the animation phase is 0.

angle1="0"; // The ending angle of this animation, where the animation phase is 1.

};

If minvalue and maxvalue are close the rotation is not seen at all.

Col. Faulkner: Yes, like Panda[PL] said, you might be able to use a negative translation value for the offset1 setting in the config if using the "translationX" type, or using the "translation" type you can move the start and end axis points around in the memory LOD to get the bolt to move how you want. Using the start-end axis points shouldn't require any extra work with the config though.

Panda[PL]: Thanks for figuring that out about the autocenter setting, and good ideas for using animations to hide things! I saw the autocenter setting in the BIS models and added it to the XMS and Beretta just in case, so it never occurred to me what it affected.