Sign in to follow this  
Bald_Maggot

Why Does Everyone get so up tight on these forums?

OK, we just delivered a telling example for the topic, I swear this was the intention biggrin_o.gif

It is basically that we have fundamental different opinions and can not deal like adults with that fact (at least I can not more then 2 replies).

Hehe, hehe. Hehe hehe, heh-hehe. icon_rolleyes.gif

Why some people get so uptight on these forums? Well one reason I can think of is that many people here think they didn't buy a game, but they bought something else instead, like a "almost VBS" simulation. Like they got a $1,500 product for only $40 or so. If you go and translate the word "game" into something completely different, then it is not a wonder anymore if you get annoyed and uptight and whatever else, as you have failed to see what kind of product you have bought.

Yes there are plenty of bugs in ArmA that shouldn't have been there in the time of release. But that doesn't change the targeted nature of the product one bit.

Get more revenue from annual license fees from gamers? Well it's a plan. Another thing is how would it work. I know for sure I am not going to pay any continuous fees for these kinds of products. I do that for the newspaper I read but not for computer games like ArmA. I know for sure I will keep on reading about what is going on in our society, but I am not at all sure if I will keep playing computer games for the rest of the year (there is, thankfully, so much more to life). I am sure people would be even more uptight here at these forums if they even payed an annual fee and then the game still does not satisfy their needs and unrealistic expectations.

Concentrate on a smaller-scale game and do it better? Well that could work in reducing the number of bugs in the released version, but it could also shrink the games to a level where they are thrown away after 3 months of playing. That's not what we want, I think we can agree on this. So again, this could cause people getting even more uptight here at these forums, as they thought they were buying a game of the same scale as OFP, or even better (as ArmA actually is). Just imagine the outbursts of people who played OFP/ArmA when they would realize BIS changed drastically their vision of what kind of games they develop, how uptight would that make people here?

I made a quick and rough calculation of how much community members we have compared to the sales of OFP. According to http://www.codemasters.com/, OFP was sold at least a million copies. As of today, Bohemia Interactive Forums, OFPEC Forum, OFP.Info Forum and Armed Assault Info Forums have a total of 69,401 registered members (this value is inaccurately high as it includes many members that have registered to more than one of these forums). Now by doing a calculation we can find that out of the one million OFP copies sold, under 7 % of the buyers have registered themselfs onto the mentioned forums. That is a very small minority and it even doesn't take into account all the sales of the OFP series and the sales of ArmA. Even if we double the number of registered members in this calculation, and keep the sold copies at only one million, we are still under 14 %. I think we can say to a good accuracy that this means that a significant majority of people who bought OFP have not been involved in creating content for the game or modifying it. So, when you speak about creating content and modifying the games, bear in mind that you belong to a very small minority. This should put into some reasonable proportion your wishes and the wishes of the rest of the people who do not want to see the technical details.

From now on, we should concentrate on how to make this forum a better place instead of arguying why it doesn't feel like a good place. How to reduce the uptightyness. How to make people smile more. How to make people actually feel that this is a friendly place to be. I am starting this movement by going outside my house, there is a nice flower growing there. I will look at the flower for at least 5 minutes and only then I allow myself to come back and, perhaps, use the computer. I recommend others find some similar means to reduce their uptightyness.

smile_o.gif

Hehe, hehe. Hehe hehe, heh-hehe.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Why some people get so uptight on these forums? Well one reason I can think of is that many people here think they didn't buy a game, but they bought something else instead, like a "almost VBS" simulation. Like they got a $1,500 product for only $40 or so. If you go and translate the word "game" into something completely different, then it is not a wonder anymore if you get annoyed and uptight and whatever else, as you have failed to see what kind of product you have bought.

Yes there are plenty of bugs in ArmA that shouldn't have been there in the time of release. But that doesn't change the targeted nature of the product one bit.

Get more revenue from annual license fees from gamers? Well it's a plan. Another thing is how would it work. I know for sure I am not going to pay any continuous fees for these kinds of products. I do that for the newspaper I read but not for computer games like ArmA. I know for sure I will keep on reading about what is going on in our society, but I am not at all sure if I will keep playing computer games for the rest of the year (there is, thankfully, so much more to life). I am sure people would be even more uptight here at these forums if they even payed an annual fee and then the game still does not satisfy their needs and unrealistic expectations.

Concentrate on a smaller-scale game and do it better? Well that could work in reducing the number of bugs in the released version, but it could also shrink the games to a level where they are thrown away after 3 months of playing. That's not what we want, I think we can agree on this. So again, this could cause people getting even more uptight here at these forums, as they thought they were buying a game of the same scale as OFP, or even better (as ArmA actually is). Just imagine the outbursts of people who played OFP/ArmA when they would realize BIS changed drastically their vision of what kind of games they develop, how uptight would that make people here?

I made a quick and rough calculation of how much community members we have compared to the sales of OFP. According to http://www.codemasters.com/, OFP was sold at least a million copies. As of today, Bohemia Interactive Forums, OFPEC Forum, OFP.Info Forum and Armed Assault Info Forums have a total of 69,401 registered members (this value is inaccurately high as it includes many members that have registered to more than one of these forums). Now by doing a calculation we can find that out of the one million OFP copies sold, under 7 % of the buyers have registered themselfs onto the mentioned forums. That is a very small minority and it even doesn't take into account all the sales of the OFP series and the sales of ArmA. Even if we double the number of registered members in this calculation, and keep the sold copies at only one million, we are still under 14 %. I think we can say to a good accuracy that this means that a significant majority of people who bought OFP have not been involved in creating content for the game or modifying it. So, when you speak about creating content and modifying the games, bear in mind that you belong to a very small minority. This should put into some reasonable proportion your wishes and the wishes of the rest of the people who do not want to see the technical details.

From now on, we should concentrate on how to make this forum a better place instead of arguying why it doesn't feel like a good place. How to reduce the uptightyness. How to make people smile more. How to make people actually feel that this is a friendly place to be. I am starting this movement by going outside my house, there is a nice flower growing there. I will look at the flower for at least 5 minutes and only then I allow myself to come back and, perhaps, use the computer. I recommend others find some similar means to reduce their uptightyness.

smile_o.gif

i think he get the point here

signed

Hmmmm, I am at work, no flowers here...

...I did basically some suggestions since the current way does not work out so well, it is not only me being so "uptight".

Since the root cause of all the issues should be addressed and solved rather then tweaking symptoms I recommend some possibilities.

Of course BI can go on like this, we will see in 2 years if they come through with this.

And it is not because I hate BI or so, I just can not see how BI is stumbling around wrecking their reputation.

smile_o.gif

Now THAT would make people uptight. Such a small percentage of the total owners are present on the forums, and only a percentage of those are negative. Many more not on the forums are either not annoyed enough to post, or give up, or love the game.

smile_o.gif

Now THAT would make people uptight.  Such a small percentage of the total owners are present on the forums, and only a percentage of those are negative.  Many more not on the forums are either not annoyed enough to post, or give up, or love the game.

I was just thinking about this today, the amount of members compared to the amount of copies sold. I don't know how long it took to sell those million copies, was it in the first 2 years or was it over 5 years.

I would have to say that the majority of gamers who originally bought OFP have long given up on the game. Maybe some have returned because of ArmA.

I myself do not play MP but i'm of the understanding that the majority of ArmA gamers do play MP. This would lead me to believe this portion of the gamers would be members of this community.

It's the majority of SP who do not register on these forums i would think.  

One example spings to mind.

When i tried to get my brother into OFP, (He was and still is a serving soldier of the British army) i gave him my GOTY edition.

He phoned me after playing one mission and told me never to speak to him again, for refering a total piece of crap like this to him. Now i believe there are a lot of gamers who bought this game and thought exactly the same thing.

My point being, you either love ArmA or you hate it.

I've had too much cider, i don't know what i'm writing anymore crazy_o.gif

The dangerous thing is that on German forum less and less people show up in the forum and also here it seems falling. You can say the reason is why I fuck up the forum, but what else would be left over? Just:

Anybody knows when the next patch comes? ---> Closed

I guess at the moment we should be happy about ANY guy showing up here, even HAMMERGUT would be welcome (Germans know what I mean)

...even HAMMERGUT would be welcome (Germans know what I mean)

Rings a bell here, but were´nt you supposed to be on vacation? rofl.gif

Ouch! I am discovered! Where is the next exit?

I recognized that it is hard to live without hammergut, there is nobody here who can compete with him. Can you tell him that I miss him and that he should come over?

Anybody knows when the next patch comes? ---> Closed

clearly we dont need 12 different topic asking the same thing

(and i dont think that it would make more ppl come here)

and the answers for that is simple too:

its out when its ready ---> Closed

People get uptight because people who moan about the game, get moaned at, by moaners who don't like them moaning.

Simple soultion for those who don't like people moaning, stick to the topics that praise the game and don't moan at the moaners.

Can nobody understand that if someone doesn't like a certain aspect of the game, its not going to change there mined if someone comes along and tries to argue the fact.

Ive scanned these forums for quite some while now, and the one thing that im constantly aware of is how wound up people get over silly things.

It's on account of the fact that we are all huge nerds.

Ive scanned these forums for quite some while now, and the one thing that im constantly aware of is how wound up people get over silly things.

It's on account of the fact that we are all huge nerds.

These forums are more fun than the game itself. inlove.gif

I guess we have bugs too...

Ok, I have more bugs then ArmA now, problem is that you can fix SW always, but the time window to fix my bugs is more then 30 years over.

i really like it when an uptight user, isnt a mod...posts some jibberish that doesnt help to original question. sees other posters helping out with needed info...then decides to add thier answer later. which usually may be relevant and/or correct. but they also add some "disappointed" icon at the end. as if we were supposed to know that particular answer (or where to find) all along.

Quote[/b] ]Forums aren't the same as they used to be. It's like being watched by secret police or something, afraid the mods and other people are going to harass you for whatever opinion you have on anything.
tounge2.gif

Yes Quite, i happend to find myself verbaly acosted by one of these ruffians a week or 2 ago, for asking a simple question..

im going for the displeased lord of the manner, theme for this post