Sign in to follow this  
Zito

Too many servers

There are way too many servers. Bludawg posted a pix of his server setup in an unrelated topic here, but as can clearly be seen from that image, there are way too many of them already, the majority of which are empty. Look at the size of the scrollbar in that image! That'll give you an indication of how many there were at that particular moment in time.

Bohemia needs the create their own large scale servers, possibly with stats instead of leaving it up to private individuals, otherwise all you get is half a dozen half full servers and the rest empty.

lol³

Just a few weeks/months ago everybody complained about to few servers being available and now you pop up saying it´s too many

Ever thought about using the filters? rofl.gif

Erm... whats so bad with having a lot of servers?

Theres an easy to use filter option to help find servers, theres a wider choice to choose from (mission wise) so I cant see the problem.

Just find 1 or 2 good 1s you like to play on them and stick to those.

Theres an easy to use filter option to help find servers, theres a wider choice to choose from (mission wise) so I cant see the problem.

What's bad about it is that players like to spend their time on a good game. You can't do that when there are only 1 or 2 players in a server. Players tend to look for servers with at least 16 players in them. That makes a good 8 vs 8 game, but even so, there are other games out there with 64/100/150 player servers. If you've ever played on one of those, you'll find Arma pretty boring by comparison.

And yes, I know all about filters, but that's not the point I'm trying to make here. If a squad or an individual wants to host a server, that's fine by me, but if week after week goes by and nobody joins it because all everyone else is doing is hosting their own equally empty server, then word goes round that Arma is going down because nobody's playing, etc., etc.

Players tend to look for servers with at least 16 players in them.

So? What is problem with lots of servers, if players still gather to those which have many players? Those who like to play 4 guys coops can stck on their owns, what is bad with that?

And i think that overall biggest MPs are not in publicservers, which is bad thing for newcomers... but good thing for "oldtimers", who hate bad side effects of ArmA still being in harddrives of hordes of n00bs (who don't play "right").

Players tend to look for servers with at least 16 players in them.

So? What is problem with lots of servers, if players still gather to those which have many players? Those who like to play 4 guys coops can stck on their owns, what is bad with that?

And i think that overall biggest MPs are not in publicservers, which is bad thing for newcomers... but good thing for "oldtimers", who hate bad side effects of ArmA still being in harddrives of hordes of n00bs (who don't play "right").

I think you're missing the point. Look again at the image: with the scrollbar that small, it's very likely that there are 300+ servers online. The only page visible is the first one, but how many servers in that lineup of 20 do you see that have more than 2 players in them?

The point I'm trying to make here is that if you've got 300-400 servers online of which 90% or more are empty, then that equates to around 380 players who could be playing themselves. It's just such a waste of time sitting there waiting for somebody to join your server when you could be elsewhere having fun.

Do you think that they don't know that they are playing alone? I think that you missing one point: some people wants to keep game small (even want to play themselves ), or test their missions or something else. If they would be unhappy about it then they would join those servers with high player counts. Why in the earth, should players be forced to those big player count servers huh.gif

Like other i can see the 'bad' thing about too many servers. Ok, you might be correct overall servers will have less packed/crowed houses. But (at least from what i have seen last time i checked) if you put the list on max. players you will see a max. of 15-20 servers maybe that has a player count of 1 to +30 on it. In the end i suppose (non clan members etc) will join one of those servers anyway, so your point is valid imho.

Also, if you check the missions played on that gamespy list you notice two or not much more things:

A: If it is coop, in most cases it is Evolution vX.X

->Ok, reminds me of OFP time with Battlefield if not mistaken. As for Evo, ok I liked it but like our 'clan/team' SES has recently decided. We no langer run it on the server. Because we noticed join time is in some case rediculous and we prefure to have non-respawn mission as it kills the spirit of true coop and only attracks XX rambos and other 'look at MY stats' guys/girls. For those who do want to play Evo, have a pick at 95% of those other crowed servers.

B:The rest are CTF-DM-and what ever other type of run-run, killkill type of mission (most of our team doesn't like).

So i guess in my opinion there can be as much of servers the internet can provide. In the end after some time you will find 'that one' server you prefure the most and will stick by it.

Beside the reason Second mentioned, i think there are a lot of peolpe just want to have there own server (if active on it or not).

What's bad about it is that players like to spend their time on a good game. You can't do that when there are only 1 or 2 players in a server. Players tend to look for servers with at least 16 players in them. That makes a good 8 vs 8 game, but even so, there are other games out there with 64/100/150 player servers. If you've ever played on one of those, you'll find Arma pretty boring by comparison.

And yes, I know all about filters, but that's not the point I'm trying to make here. If a squad or an individual wants to host a server, that's fine by me, but if week after week goes by and nobody joins it because all everyone else is doing is hosting their own equally empty server, then word goes round that Arma is going down because nobody's playing, etc., etc.

Thats what clans are for mate, you join them or create one to have a good basis of people to play with when you can without relying on public servers for numbers. They also provide a good mate ship and friendly teamwork environment.

hey guys lets just hope that with the american release there will be more players to fill the servers, cuz if there isn't mine is prolly going down for something else goodnight.gif

If I were forced to only play on the popular servers running the same dumb missions over and over I'd just quit the game all together. There's no harm from small servers, just sort by player number and join the one on top if that's your thing.

Thats what clans are for mate, you join them or create one to have a good basis of people to play with when you can without relying on public servers for numbers. They also provide a good mate ship and friendly teamwork environment.

Yes, all very well Rommel, but I came to this game expecting Bohemia to have their own servers in the same way that Novalogic does. I have the complete DF series plus Joint Ops, but Arma looked good on paper so to speak and that's why I bought it. I can't exactly say I'm enamoured with it the way it is at the moment though.

As for clans, I've been in those (been playing since '98), had my own at one time, but unless you want to compete in tournaments, I really don't see the point of them.

Neither will it make much difference once the USA comes online, primarily because of the time zone differences. Depending on which side of the country you live in, EST is 6 hrs behind CET and PST, 9 hrs. So they play when most of Europe is asleep. And anyway, pings to the US usually cause too much lag and vice versa.

woah ... seems like people start to moan about anything ...

closing

p.s. problem with empty servers? ... filter by 1> players