Sign in to follow this  
Sceaduwe

Dedi Box - AI Warping

We have a dedicated box but the AI is warping about 5 feet whilst running and moving about. I have tried to increase the MaxSizeNonguarenteed statement in the server.cfg file to triple it's norm, but still no smooth AI. Is there something I am overlooking.

The box itself is a P4 with 1Gb of memory and connected to a 10Mb connection.

MaxMsgSend = 512;

MinBandwidth = 1536000;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed=768;

Any help.gif would be appreciated.

does this happen on small missions (ala you and one AI guy?) or just in large missions ?

Yep, I have a mission on the box called 'sniper' and it's warping the AI in that one too. 'Warcry' is warping.  'Blackhawk Down' is warping.

To answer your post specifically, does it warp with just one AI? I don't know, I would think so.

I have tried to increase the MaxSizeNonguarenteed statement in the <span style='color:red'>server.cfg</span> file to triple it's norm, but still no smooth AI. Is there something I am overlooking.

The box itself is a P4 with 1Gb of memory and connected to a 10Mb connection.

<span style='color:green'>MaxMsgSend = 512;

MinBandwidth = 1536000;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed=768;</span>

Any help.gif would be appreciated.

Those settings do nothing when put in the file loaded by "-config=server.cfg".

The tuning parameters MaxMsgSend and so on are supposed to be put into the <span style='color:green'>ArmA.cfg</span> file. Read more about this here.

To lessen warping AI at a distance, try

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">MinErrorToSend=0.005;

Thanks for the response at the time it seemed the logical place to put it.  However, a couple of quick questions:

1. I don't have an arma.cfg on the box, does it need to be created?

2. If so will the server use it automatically?

3. I am assuming it needs to go into the root of the ArmA folder, the same as the server.cfg file.

Try lowering "MaxSizeNonguaranteed", mine is set to 64 and it seems to be better. (at 256 they were still jumping, but the distance from one jump to another was halved...).

Thanks for the response at the time it seemed the logical place to put it. However, a couple of quick questions:

1. I don't have an arma.cfg on the box, does it need to be created?

On a standard ArmA installation, that file is in

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">C:\Documents and Settings\myname\My Documents\ArmA\ArmA.cfgRecreate that on your server, possibly by copying it from a working client installation.

Quote[/b] ]2. If so will the server use it automatically?
Presumably, yes. (Lacking proper documentation from BI on the matter or testing that conclusively proves that this is the case or not, that's all you'll/we'll get for now.)
Quote[/b] ]3. I am assuming it needs to go into the root of the ArmA folder, the same as the server.cfg file.
Likely not. See above. However, there is a currently undocumented startup parameter that the dedicated server (and standard ArmA client) takes - -cfg. Perhaps one could add something like this to the shortcut that starts the server to point it to a specific "MyArmA.cfg" file in the server's root ArmA folder:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">X:\...\arma_server.exe -cfg=MyArmA.cfg -config=server.cfg [...other parameters follow...]You could be the first to try this and report wether it's working or not. biggrin_o.gif

Okay -- thanks guys. I'll try the config option and see if it works and get back to you. I'll also try the MaxSizeNonguaranteed suggestion to set it to 64 and see if it improves.

From early indications, I can't really tell if the commandline switch is doing anything, it could be  confused_o.gif

When I have a bit more free time I'll experiment with it, take it out and load ArmA up and do some tests. Then put it back in and do some tests and get back to you.

I have gone back and noticed that we don't have a 'c:\documents and settings\username\arma' directory - it must be a server only installation. Anyways, the switch must be doing something as it's references the arma file and without it - it seems worse.

All I know is that it seems to be reading the ArmA.cfg file. wink_o.gif

The 'MaxSizeNonguaranteed=64;' line has helped alot. I would have thought the more the better.

Anyways, thanks guys for all the help. notworthy.gif

Ive seen AI warping loads in MP atm and i dont no why.. huh.gif

I'm running a ded. box on my LAN with a ping of 5 and I'm seeing a shyt load of warping crazy_o.gif ...... why when I have such a great connection ?

I see choppers when they are trying to land toggling/warping between nose up and tail down atitude as they decend ... weird.

... but then its all at default configs and running the beta server exe (and client)